Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

i'm often annoyed when I see people chalk this up to "luck"

there's SOOOO many resources poured into these success stories. Whitewashing it all as "luck" misses all the actual important parts of the process.

I think you're over focusing on his word choice. While "luck" is part of any & all equations...always has been and always will...I didnt get the feel he was applying it directly to GBs decisions and outcomes with Jordan.

I like GB's approach and hope they maintain it. The only variable I think that may change is the length of time the incoming guy gets on the bench....making it more likely he becomes the guy year 3. Now, in Love's case - the covid stuff played in (or was that luck?) :)

1 minute ago, Leader said:

I think you're over focusing on his word choice. While "luck" is part of any & all equations...always has been and always will...I didnt get the feel he was applying it directly to GBs decisions and outcomes with Jordan.

I like GB's approach and hope they maintain it. The only variable I think that may change is the length of time the incoming guy gets on the bench....making it more likely he becomes the guy year 3. Now, in Love's case - the covid stuff played in (or was that luck?) :)

i'm agreeing w/ Brandt's response

41 minutes ago, Leader said:

Anyone else slightly worried that it took Matt as long as it did to pull the cord on the defense? Like if even half of what Dre is ranting about is true… it’s alarming that Matt gave Barry another year.

Like I can understand that maybe with the QB switch and that uncertainty… he wanted to wait.

But geez… the defense sounds borderline dis functional. Guys making mistakes, guys going out of their way to cover up for those mistakes… leading to other mistakes. All while the DC seemingly Mr. Magooing thru game planning.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Green19 said:

Anyone else slightly worried that it took Matt as long as it did to pull the cord on the defense? Like if even half of what Dre is ranting about is true… it’s alarming that Matt gave Barry another year.

Like I can understand that maybe with the QB switch and that uncertainty… he wanted to wait.

But geez… the defense sounds borderline dis functional. Guys making mistakes, guys going out of their way to cover up for those mistakes… leading to other mistakes. All while the DC seemingly Mr. Magooing thru game planning.

I think players would say this about a good 1/3 to 1/2 the defenses in the league, if they were allowed or willing to be honest about it. Seriously, none of this strikes me as particularly novel. “They didn’t use me correctly” or “the defense went against our strengths” is the refrain from every player who felt wronged by their team 

Edited by Isherwood
  • Like 1

I was glad that Campbell commented favorably on Quay.  I admit when Campbell noted that he had to cover for other guys' mistakes and missing run fits, etc., I worried that Quay was who he had in mind.  

I imagine the responsibilities of ILB can vary a lot.  I recall Blake Martinez, after signing with Giants, having comment about how Pettine gave Z Smith freedom to do whatever, and Blake got stuck covering up whatever Z left vulnerable.  

4 minutes ago, craig said:

I imagine the responsibilities of ILB can vary a lot.  I recall Blake Martinez, after signing with Giants, having comment about how Pettine gave Z Smith freedom to do whatever, and Blake got stuck covering up whatever Z left vulnerable.  

And that pissed Blake off so bad that he went into dealing Pokemon cards...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tperk said:

And that pissed Blake off so bad that he went into dealing Pokemon cards...

Did it piss him off so much to also make those card counterfeit too? A screw over others like Z screwed him over??? Hahaha

43 minutes ago, Isherwood said:

I think players would say this about a good 1/3 to 1/2 the defenses in the league, if they were allowed or willing to be honest about it. Seriously, none of this strikes me as particularly novel. “They didn’t use me correctly” or “the defense went against our strengths” is the refrain from every player who felt wronged by their team 

Sure…. But the private meetings, Campbell trying to cover for guys…

like at what point during a film review does the coach say why are you doing this Dre? And he tells them he is covering for Owens cause he is bad. Like no wonder this defense was hot garbage.

Honest conversations couldn’t apparently take place. 

What makes him think Green Bay will have him back if he is also doing the wrong thing on a play? Just because you are doing it for a positive reason (covering of a teammate).

Also Dre…. You didn’t need to cover for Owens. We all knew he was bad at football. We could see it every sunday. There is a reason he is referred to as Simone Biles husband and not by his own name.

• Like 2