Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

7 hours ago, Old Guy said:

I think we have 4 - #2 WRs, 1 - #3 and 1 - #4. 

Watson has the ability to be a 1 but I think Doubs, Reed and Wicks are 2 WR talents. 

Melton is a 3 potentially and Heath a 4. 

We have a killer WR corps and I'm curious to see how much potential they all have esp Wicks.  Melton played well down the stretch but I need to see more before even considering him as our WR4 much less as WR3.  Hoping to see a jump from all of them.

I also wanna see what Dubose can do during the preseason.  He was the rookie WR that I was most hyped for after Reed and Wicks last year.

19 hours ago, Old Guy said:

You can always create space, but they also have a WR problem. Aiyuk doesn't want to play on the 5th year deal. Samuel will be on the final year of his deal next year. No way, at the age of 29 with the way he plays, is he going to play next year without an extension. Pearsall seems like a desperation pick but clearly, they are expecting him to take one of those two spots next year.  

Kittle will be 32 next year and in the last year of his deal. He won't want to play, on a one-year deal at his age either. 

McCaffrey is going into his 8th year. That is a lot of wear and tear on a RB. 

WR and RB are probably the two easiest positions to turn over in today's NFL.  Aiyuk is a good player, but he is not what makes the SF offense go.  Replacing Aiyuk/Deebo with Pearsall a year from now won't be a huge problem for them. When CMC loses a step it will hurt them, but the SF running game will be very good as long as Shanny is HC.  I agree on Kittle.  He's already on the downside of his career.  

Edited by Mazrimiv

31 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

WR and RB are probably the two easiest positions to turn over in today's NFL.  Aiyuk is a good player, but he is not what makes the SF offense go.  Replacing Aiyuk/Deebo with Pearsall a year from now won't be a huge problem for them. When CMC loses a step it will hurt them, but the SF running game will be very good as long as Shanny is HC.  I agree on Kittle.  He's already on the downside of his career.  

You say that about their running game, but it wasn't good enough when they went out and got McCaffrey. They gave up a lot for a RB as well. 

I'll just have to agree to disagree on how hard it will be to replace Deebo. He's unique for a WR. 

I think we've been so spoiled with our ability to draft WRs we think it is easy for everybody, it's not. While I agree with you on Aiyuk, I'm not going to agree that Pearsall is a seamless transition for them with either of those two. 

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

I am not so sure about Kittle.  He just had 1000 yards and 6 TDs.  Looking at other great TEs, they were productive well into their 30s.  Look at Travis Kelce, Rob Gronkowski, Tony Gonzalez, they all produced at Kittle's age.  He might fall off a cliff, but the players that I would group him with haven't at his age.  

Where they may run into trouble is when they aren't getting a QB for pennies on the dollar.  They can afford to make some mistakes now because their QB is getting like 1 million dollars.  They can sign veteran free agents.  They are very much like the Seahawks with rookie contract Russell Wilson.  I want to say that they will have to draft better, but that really isn't fair, since they did draft their QB in the 7th.  But they are going to have to at least hit on role players with their later picks more often than the current make up of their roster would indicate.  

59 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

You say that about their running game, but it wasn't good enough when they went out and got McCaffrey. They gave up a lot for a RB as well. 

I'll just have to agree to disagree on how hard it will be to replace Deebo. He's unique for a WR. 

I think we've been so spoiled with our ability to draft WRs we think it is easy for everybody, it's not. While I agree with you on Aiyuk, I'm not going to agree that Pearsall is a seamless transition for them with either of those two. 

I'll just have to agree to disagree that SF wouldn't continue to have a very good running game without CMC.  The SF offense has revolved around the running game since Shanny arrived.  In 2019, SF made the SB with Jimmy-G at QB while Mostert/Breida/Coleman ran for 1900+ yards at ~4.9 ypc.  Injuries have been SF's consistent problem at RB during the Shanny era, not production.

Young WR's are resetting the record books every year.  GB is doing more than fine with a group of young WR's that are good, but not great.  Now SF is going to have a significant problem moving on with Pearsall?  I doubt it.

14 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I am not so sure about Kittle.  He just had 1000 yards and 6 TDs.  Looking at other great TEs, they were productive well into their 30s.  Look at Travis Kelce, Rob Gronkowski, Tony Gonzalez, they all produced at Kittle's age.  He might fall off a cliff, but the players that I would group him with haven't at his age.  

Where they may run into trouble is when they aren't getting a QB for pennies on the dollar.  They can afford to make some mistakes now because their QB is getting like 1 million dollars.  They can sign veteran free agents.  They are very much like the Seahawks with rookie contract Russell Wilson.  I want to say that they will have to draft better, but that really isn't fair, since they did draft their QB in the 7th.  But they are going to have to at least hit on role players with their later picks more often than the current make up of their roster would indicate.  

I won't disagree that I am maybe writing off Kittle a little early.

29 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I'll just have to agree to disagree that SF wouldn't continue to have a very good running game without CMC.  The SF offense has revolved around the running game since Shanny arrived.  In 2019, SF made the SB with Jimmy-G at QB while Mostert/Breida/Coleman ran for 1900+ yards at ~4.9 ypc.  Injuries have been SF's consistent problem at RB during the Shanny era, not production.

Young WR's are resetting the record books every year.  GB is doing more than fine with a group of young WR's that are good, but not great.  Now SF is going to have a significant problem moving on with Pearsall?  I doubt it.

You forget Green Bay also moved on from a QB who only had eyes from Davante. The irony is Rodgers leaving allowed our WR to flourish. 

Deebo is not a guy you replace. We will have to agree to disagree. Deebo's physical, running back style of play also does not lead to a long career either. 

I don't have see a problem for SF moving on from Aiyuk, Deebo, another story. Especially, when Kittle likely is gone as well. 

10 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Yup .. they got damn lucky in the 7th round for sure but they stunk up the joint with their #1 pick on a QB that's not even on their roster.  Their window is closing .. they will have to hit on all their picks to keep up with the top tier teams in the future.

1 hour ago, coachbuns said:

Yup .. they got damn lucky in the 7th round for sure but they stunk up the joint with their #1 pick on a QB that's not even on their roster.  Their window is closing .. they will have to hit on all their picks to keep up with the top tier teams in the future.

It is interesting.  I wish I knew more about the 9ers roster, but I don't want to put in the time to actually learn it.  When I was looking at their older players, they do have a lot, a lot of them are role players.  I don't think they have much in the way of issues before they have to pay Purdy.  They have to figure out what to do with Aiyuk, but I don't think he is such a game changer that the 9ers are doomed without him, even if he were to go nuclear and sit out.  The biggest obstacle IMO is 2027 when they already have 75 million going to Bosa and McCaffrey, and almost 25 more going to void years for Hargrave, Warner, and Kittle.  They will have either paid Purdy or started looking for another QB by then.

I think that they are going to have to start finding more role players in the draft.  But they have a couple more seasons to start working on that before it really bites them.  Looking at their 2025  free agents, they can drop a lot of team age and probably decent chunk of salary by replacing all of these guys with 20-24 year-olds.  https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/_/year/2025/team/sf/sort/contract_value

I'm not as bullish on the downfall of the 49ers as everyone else seems to be.  I think they have the top end players to stay competitive.  They will have to re-tool a little differently, but I don't think it is a given that they are going to fall off soon.

20 hours ago, Old Guy said:

You forget Green Bay also moved on from a QB who only had eyes from Davante. The irony is Rodgers leaving allowed our WR to flourish. 

Deebo is not a guy you replace. We will have to agree to disagree. Deebo's physical, running back style of play also does not lead to a long career either. 

I don't have see a problem for SF moving on from Aiyuk, Deebo, another story. Especially, when Kittle likely is gone as well. 

I expect Aiyuk to be the WR who moves on from SF while Deebo, Kittle and CMC remain in SF through 2026. Trying to project beyond 3 years is kind of pointless.

If SF can turn over their 30+ year old OL's, I don't see any reason for a major drop off other than injuries.  With Deebo/CMC as the key cogs of their offense, they probably have a bigger injury risk than a team like GB.

46 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I expect Aiyuk to be the WR who moves on from SF while Deebo, Kittle and CMC remain in SF through 2026. Trying to project beyond 3 years is kind of pointless.

If SF can turn over their 30+ year old OL's, I don't see any reason for a major drop off other than injuries.  With Deebo/CMC as the key cogs of their offense, they probably have a bigger injury risk than a team like GB.

Then you are expecting the 49ers to extend both Kittle and Deebo. They both have expiring contracts after 2025. Kittle will be 33 in 2026 and Deebo 30.