Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

A week away from the OFFICIAL start to free agency.  Monday is when most of the players we want to sign will be unofficially signed by another team.  I don’t think this year will be like last year where I woke up to four significant free agent signings.  

Also, anyone else think we haven’t officially cut Graham in case we aren’t able to sign his replacement?

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

There were many other non-kizer options available, none were pursued.
So that pretty much shoots down that argument

Or by the time that they brought in a QB and needed to learn the playbook, they would have exposed someone they wanted to keep around.

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Or by the time that they brought in a QB and needed to learn the playbook, they would have exposed someone they wanted to keep around.

They were always moving on from Kizer, so they needed a back- up QB bad and they knew that in February.
Your suggestion that the 53rd guy on the roster is what kept them from filling this critical position with an outside QB doesn't pass the sniff test

Just now, Shanedorf said:

They were always moving on from Kizer, so they needed a back- up QB bad and they knew that in February.
Your suggestion that the 53rd guy on the roster is what kept them from filling this critical position with an outside QB doesn't pass the sniff test

The Packers are up a creek if they lose Rodgers.  Does adding Kizer really improve or change the outlook of the '19 Packers?  No.

4 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

The Packers are up a creek if they lose Rodgers.  Does adding Kizer really improve or change the outlook of the '19 Packers?  No.

Just like the Eagles were up a creek if they lost Wentz or Jaguars were up a creek if they lost Foles or Patriots were up a creek if they lost Bledsoe?  Or the Rams losing Green?  Or the Steelers losing Green?  Or the Cowboys losing Romo?  Or the Cowboys losing whoever was before Romo?

Some of the best things to ever happen to a franchise have been losing their QB.  I think we’re up a creek if we lose Rodgers and Boyle is his backup, but more and more often you can find decent quarterbacks later in the draft.  We’re only up a creek if we don’t bring a reliable backup paddle.  

I am NOT saying we’re better off if we lose Rodgers obviously, but this notion that we are going to be screwed at QB after Rodgers is faulty.  People think that just because we’ve had consecutive Hall of Fame quarterbacks we can’t do it again and that’s false.  If I flip heads twice in a row, that third flip still has a 50% chance at being heads.  The previous flips are irrelevant.  

We should add competition to that backup spot.  When you’re talking the 6th/7th round especially.  Getting even Matt Flynn in the 6th/7th is better than getting another DL who converts to TE.

Just now, Outpost31 said:

Just like the Eagles were up a creek if they lost Wentz or Jaguars were up a creek if they lost Foles or Patriots were up a creek if they lost Bledsoe?  Or the Rams losing Green?  Or the Steelers losing Green?  Or the Cowboys losing Romo?  Or the Cowboys losing whoever was before Romo?

Realistically, what is the Packers 2019 record if Tim Boyle was our starting QB for the entire season?

6 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Some of the best things to ever happen to a franchise have been losing their QB.  I think we’re up a creek if we lose Rodgers and Boyle is his backup, but more and more often you can find decent quarterbacks later in the draft.  We’re only up a creek if we don’t bring a reliable backup paddle.  

I am NOT saying we’re better off if we lose Rodgers obviously, but this notion that we are going to be screwed at QB after Rodgers is faulty.  People think that just because we’ve had consecutive Hall of Fame quarterbacks we can’t do it again and that’s false.  If I flip heads twice in a row, that third flip still has a 50% chance at being heads.  The previous flips are irrelevant.  

We should add competition to that backup spot.  When you’re talking the 6th/7th round especially.  Getting even Matt Flynn in the 6th/7th is better than getting another DL who converts to TE.

Of the scenarios you mentioned, only Foles would have qualified as a "reliable backup" before stepping on the field. I'm not saying Boyle has the potential to be as good as any of the other guys — I have no idea — but I can't imagine teams were much higher on the likes of Warner, Minshew, Romo, Brady, etc.

Edited by Lodestar

9 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Realistically, what is the Packers 2019 record if Tim Boyle was our starting QB for the entire season?

Well that question has literally Butkus to do with my entire point, but I’d say 8 wins max, 4 wins minimum.  You need an avatar so I can more easily identify communists.

3 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

A week away from the OFFICIAL start to free agency.  Monday is when most of the players we want to sign will be unofficially signed by another team.  I don’t think this year will be like last year where I woke up to four significant free agent signings.  

Also, anyone else think we haven’t officially cut Graham in case we aren’t able to sign his replacement?

Gute will do some stuff .. should be interesting.  He actually was quiet on day one last year and then went nuts on day two.