We Did it!! DARNOLD DECLARES FOR the DRAFT!!!

Mind Character

Chiefs are open to trading Alex Smith.

We don't need to get carried away and force it, but if we can nab him for a 2nd to hold down the fort and help bring along Sam, that would be ideal.

He is a very underrated QB and could provide the stability and patience we need.

1 hour ago, Aztec Hammer said:

Chiefs are open to trading Alex Smith.

We don't need to get carried away and force it, but if we can nab him for a 2nd to hold down the fort and help bring along Sam, that would be ideal.

He is a very underrated QB and could provide the stability and patience we need.

Call me crazy, but if we trade for Alex Smith, I'm not taking a QB early. I'd make the Giants, or one of the other teams looking for Darnold or Rosen trade up to get them, then I'd grab the best players in the draft. Alex Smith just had his best season of his career. He's healthy, he's smart with the ball, rarely turns it over, and at 33, he can still go a while longer. I'd let Kizer be developed behind Smith, and I'd grab another guy to put there also, but I'd use my top picks on those guys who are going to come in and instantly contribute. Minkah, Chubb, Barkley, Smith, Ward, etc. 

5 minutes ago, H2ThaIzzo said:

Call me crazy, but if we trade for Alex Smith, I'm not taking a QB early. I'd make the Giants, or one of the other teams looking for Darnold or Rosen trade up to get them, then I'd grab the best players in the draft. Alex Smith just had his best season of his career. He's healthy, he's smart with the ball, rarely turns it over, and at 33, he can still go a while longer. I'd let Kizer be developed behind Smith, and I'd grab another guy to put there also, but I'd use my top picks on those guys who are going to come in and instantly contribute. Minkah, Chubb, Barkley, Smith, Ward, etc. 

You're crazy.

Hell no. Alex Smith is 33 years old.

At best, he has maybe 3-4 years left.

So, you're passing on a young QB.

Hell to the nah nah.

I'm also not giving up a 2nd round pick for a QB that's only going to be on my team for 2 years or so.

I'd rather go the FA route...OR give up two 3rd round picks (1 this year and 1 next year) for Smith.

1 hour ago, Mind Character said:

You're crazy.

Hell no. Alex Smith is 33 years old.

At best, he has maybe 3-4 years left.

So, you're passing on a young QB.

Hell to the nah nah.

I'm also not giving up a 2nd round pick for a QB that's only going to be on my team for 2 years or so.

I'd rather go the FA route...OR give up two 3rd round picks (1 this year and 1 next year) for Smith.

Thats fine you can have your opinion. We have 3 #2 picks. Sad that a Browns fan would not be willing to part with one of them to get a QB that just went 67%/25td/5int's and is taking his team to the playoffs. How many wins would we have had with a stat line like that? 6? 7?. Now imagine that stat line but adding Barkley and Minkah as well as 80 mill in free agency money and 9 or so other draft picks. 

18 minutes ago, H2ThaIzzo said:

Thats fine you can have your opinion. We have 3 #2 picks. Sad that a Browns fan would not be willing to part with one of them to get a QB that just went 67%/25td/5int's and is taking his team to the playoffs. How many wins would we have had with a stat line like that? 6? 7?. Now imagine that stat line but adding Barkley and Minkah as well as 80 mill in free agency money and 9 or so other draft picks. 

Bro...I'm just sayin

a 33 year old QB who will be 34 years old his first year on the Browns is not sufficient enough to make us pass on a young QB1 no matter how good that veteran QB is.

That's madness...when do we get our QB1 future prospect in the top 2 picks if we pass this year....2023?

3 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Bro...I'm just sayin

a 33 year old QB who will be 34 years old his first year on the Browns is not sufficient enough to make us pass on a young QB1 no matter how good that veteran QB is.

That's madness...when do we get our QB1 future prospect in the top 2 picks if we pass this year....2023?

Truth.com 

hashtag justtaketheguy

I would be beyond devastated if we passed on Darnold/Rosen at 1 because of a vet.

Can't we just take the best QB in the draft for once and actually cultivate him in due time, in a positive environment.

Darnold is 20. Smith is 34.

It would be the shortest of short term thinking. We aren't winning a championship in the next few years, so what are we achieving except adding some competency to the team for a few years and passing on a 15 year franchise QB of our own?

Get Smith in. Have him give us some credibility and become an attractive proposition to free agents as well as instill a winning mentality of some sort into the city and organisation. If he's good enough to hold the spot for two years, so be it. That's great. Allows Darnold even more time to develop in a positive environment ala Rodgers.

Then when the time comes, Darnold steps in and our very own home-drafted, blue-chip QB takes over a solid, winning team with multiples years of good development behind him.

We then go on to have a decade plus of contending for the playoffs and championships.

I would be beyond devastated if we passed on Darnold/Rosen at 1 because of a vet.

Can't we just take the best QB in the draft for once and actually cultivate him in due time, in a positive environment.

Darnold is 20. Smith is 34.

It would be the shortest of short term thinking. We aren't winning a championship in the next few years, so what are we achieving except adding some competency to the team for a few years and passing on a 15 year franchise QB of our own?

Get Smith in. Have him give us some credibility and become an attractive proposition to free agents as well as instill a winning mentality of some sort into the city and organisation. If he's good enough to hold the spot for two years, so be it. That's great. Allows Darnold even more time to develop in a positive environment ala Rodgers.

Then when the time comes, Darnold steps in and our very own home-drafted, blue-chip QB takes over a solid, winning team with multiples years of good development behind him.

We then go on to have a decade plus of contending for the playoffs and championships.

What has New Orleans done to resemble this? New England? they just traded two of those guys away. Pittsburgh? Baltimore? Arizona? 

Listen, I'm fine if they traded for him and took a QB, I'm just saying that I'd lean towards getting the best players i can to make the team as good as possible. And though I like Darnold, Rosen is meh to me, there are no guys this year that anyone are saying are can't miss prospects. Why not fleece someone to move up and take the best players where you land and go from there? 

6 minutes ago, H2ThaIzzo said:

What has New Orleans done to resemble this? New England? they just traded two of those guys away. Pittsburgh? Baltimore? Arizona? 

Listen, I'm fine if they traded for him and took a QB, I'm just saying that I'd lean towards getting the best players i can to make the team as good as possible. And though I like Darnold, Rosen is meh to me, there are no guys this year that anyone are saying are can't miss prospects. Why not fleece someone to move up and take the best players where you land and go from there? 

Those teams are all individual case studies. We could just as easily look at the Browns case study and see what stopgaps, fill-ins and draft flyers at QB have done for us since the return.

I feel like we just need to take full advantage of being the terrible team that we've been and finally take the best QB in the draft at 1.

We've done the trading down and fleecing teams for the QB and it got us these flashy name first round picks and zero wins. Meanwhile it netted Philly their QB for the next 10-15 years.

We've got a ton of picks already outside of #1. Really feel we should just take the top QB and help him out with the other picks.

Those teams are all individual case studies. We could just as easily look at the Browns case study and see what stopgaps, fill-ins and draft flyers at QB have done for us since the return.

I feel like we just need to take full advantage of being the terrible team that we've been and finally take the best QB in the draft at 1.

We've done the trading down and fleecing teams for the QB and it got us these flashy name first round picks and zero wins. Meanwhile it netted Philly their QB for the next 10-15 years.

We've got a ton of picks already outside of #1. Really feel we should just take the top QB and help him out with the other picks.

What QB have we ever gotten when they were still performing on a high level? Delhomme was on the downward spiral. Campbell the same. Garcia the same. This isn't just an age conversation, it's a production conversation. Since turning 30 Smith has accounted for 78 TD's and only 27 interceptions. 

30 minutes ago, H2ThaIzzo said:

New Orleans done to resemble this? New England? they just traded two of those guys away. Pittsburgh? Baltimore? Arizona? 

New Orleans, Pittsburgh, and New England have hall of fame, Super bowl winning QBs, still playing at elite and sure-fire MVP levels.

They are all in contention for the super bowl this year.

Baltimore? Arizona? They are sitting at home out of the playoffs w/ QBs that have either never been top 5 elite MVP candidates or HOFers.

Both of those teams could use a QB upgrade.

Anyway Alex Smith is not close to the level of Brady, Ben, and Brees so that comparison isn't optimal as well.

Smith is playing great, but he is not a QB that can take the game over and get a team to winning...he has to have a full deck to win.

That's not the type of player that makes you pass on a future franchise QB.

1 hour ago, Mind Character said:

New Orleans, Pittsburgh, and New England have hall of fame, Super bowl winning QBs, still playing at elite and sure-fire MVP levels.

They are all in contention for the super bowl this year.

Baltimore? Arizona? They are sitting at home out of the playoffs w/ QBs that have either never been top 5 elite MVP candidates or HOFers.

Both of those teams could use a QB upgrade.

Anyway Alex Smith is not close to the level of Brady, Ben, and Brees so that comparison isn't optimal as well.

Smith is playing great, but he is not a QB that can take the game over and get a team to winning...he has to have a full deck to win.

That's not the type of player that makes you pass on a future franchise QB.

okay so for the record, no matter what we need to take either Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield, Allen or Jackson #1 overall? You don't get to asterisk this by saying it can only be the guy you want, if you're thought process is it's QB or bust. 

10 minutes ago, H2ThaIzzo said:

okay so for the record, no matter what we need to take either Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield, Allen or Jackson #1 overall? You don't get to asterisk this by saying it can only be the guy you want, if you're thought process is it's QB or bust. 

I think this is the big disconnect he’s not saying (nor am I) take a qb at all cost. It’s because he believes one of these guys or both will be a franchise guy. It’s stupid to draft a guy just to get a qb. And I don’t believe anybody ever believes that. 

20 minutes ago, H2ThaIzzo said:

What QB have we ever gotten when they were still performing on a high level? Delhomme was on the downward spiral. Campbell the same. Garcia the same. This isn't just an age conversation, it's a production conversation. Since turning 30 Smith has accounted for 78 TD's and only 27 interceptions. 

What do you think Smith would do for the Browns?

Do you think he has us competing for championships before he's done?

Archived