We Did it!! DARNOLD DECLARES FOR the DRAFT!!!

Mind Character

DJ also made a very good point that many of Sam's fumbles came from messing up the mesh point on a zone read, or a lateral swing pass to Jones that he didn't catch. And they go down as Darnold fumbles, but they're not worrisome fumbles in a conventional sense.

That being said, the sort of fumbles you saw in the Ohio State game worry me because even though he's getting pressured like crazy, it's still that loopy windup and the ball dropping low that gives the defenders time to swat the ball out.

1 hour ago, Aztec Hammer said:

DJ also made a very good point that many of Sam's fumbles came from messing up the mesh point on a zone read, or a lateral swing pass to Jones that he didn't catch. And they go down as Darnold fumbles, but they're not worrisome fumbles in a conventional sense.

That being said, the sort of fumbles you saw in the Ohio State game worry me because even though he's getting pressured like crazy, it's still that loopy windup and the ball dropping low that gives the defenders time to swat the ball out.

That lost fumble in the tOSU game wasn’t from him getting swatted because of his wind up. Dude was getting absolutely swarmed by tOSUs DL and he was trying to break away from someone and he was trying to slide away from the pressure when he was blindside. I’m not going to kill a QB for that, specially when he is trying to keep a play alive cause he needs to make something happen cause his team is getting their butts beat. 

Just now, buno67 said:

That lost fumble in the tOSU game wasn’t from him getting swatted because of his wind up. Dude was getting absolutely swarmed by tOSUs DL and he was trying to break away from someone and he was trying to slide away from the pressure when he was blindside. I’m not going to kill a QB for that, specially when he is trying to keep a play alive cause he needs to make something happen cause his team is getting their butts beat. 

I know, you're right there. I should have been more specific. I mean to say I worry a bit about his wind up in general when he's going to be under pressure, because that dropping the ball low is going to give the pass rusher that fraction more time to make a play on his arm or the ball.

Ohio State fumbles were more just the result of a complete swarm rather than him trying to get a throw off and being loose.

Just now, Bucketheadsdad said:

I think he’s a guy who should have returned tbh.

He’s no higher than the 4th best QB, 5th in many people’s eyes, and had plenty of room to develop and, unlike Allen, is only 20.

Another year makes him a 4 year starter, gives him a chance to get his completion percentage over that 60% mark and allows him to be arguably the 1st qb taken in 2019.

But hey, I don’t know that I could turn down millions of dollars to play for free either.

16 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

He’s no higher than the 4th best QB, 5th in many people’s eyes, and had plenty of room to develop and, unlike Allen, is only 20.

Another year makes him a 4 year starter, gives him a chance to get his completion percentage over that 60% mark and allows him to be arguably the 1st qb taken in 2019.

But hey, I don’t know that I could turn down millions of dollars to play for free either.

He takes a lot of hits and has been worn down over the last 2 years and their OL was getting worse.

He's shown everything teams need to see as an athlete. His floor as an athlete is 2nd round.

I doubt another year would change people's mind on him.

Someone's taking their shot on him at the top of round 2, but my sleeper is the JETS get wild and take him in round 1 if they can't get 1 of the top 4.

54 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

My thinking is that it might up the bidding for some enamored GM at #4.  Supply and demand.  Top 2 teams in the draft could conceivably go after QBs (one damned well better), which gets teams like the Jets, Broncos, Cardinals clamoring for a seat at the future QB table.  Could make #4 a pretty expensive seat.

Yeah 4 is literally the most important spot in the draft 

as Long as Indy takes a players 

4 is going to be in crazy demand

you got the teams behind us 

Denver 

Jets

Cardinals

That zone in on their guy 

we could drop a few spots and still know we’ll get our Minkah or Chubb at 5 or 6 and pick up a pick or two 

55 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

He takes a lot of hits and has been worn down over the last 2 years and their OL was getting worse.

He's shown everything teams need to see as an athlete. His floor as an athlete is 2nd round.

I doubt another year would change people's mind on him.

Someone's taking their shot on him at the top of round 2, but my sleeper is the JETS get wild and take him in round 1 if they can't get 1 of the top 4.

I can’t see 5 qb’s going that high, but the rest of your points are fair.

As far as the OL, people always say running qb’s have poor OL’s because blocking for a guy who doesn’t stay put is frustrating and hard as hell. 

4 minutes ago, brownie man said:

Yeah 4 is literally the most important spot in the draft 

as Long as Indy takes a players 

4 is going to be in crazy demand

you got the teams behind us 

Denver 

Jets

Cardinals

That zone in on their guy 

we could drop a few spots and still know we’ll get our Minkah or Chubb at 5 or 6 and pick up a pick or two 

Worst (best) case scenario, Colts trade out of 3 with one of those teams for a QB; we take Barkley at 4.

6 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I see some of y’all are wising up to trading down...

I've always been open to the idea, especially if we've established Sam at 1.

If you're telling me the choice is between:

- Moving down from 4 to 6 and getting Minkah plus a 2019 1st.

or

- Barkley at 4.

I'll take the first option. However the absolute dream would be dropping down a couple of picks, getting a 2019 1st and still getting Saquon.

1 minute ago, Aztec Hammer said:

I've always been open to the idea, especially if we've established Sam at 1.

If you're telling me the choice is between:

- Moving down from 4 to 6 and getting Minkah plus a 2019 1st.

or

- Barkley at 4.

I'll take the first option. However the absolute dream would be dropping down a couple of picks, getting a 2019 1st and still getting Saquon.

Man 4-6 and getting a 2019 first that’d be a dream 

that’s a lot of capital though for 2 spots and the 3rd QB. 

I want Saquon so bad 

On 1/4/2018 at 10:48 AM, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

My bad then, easy to lose intent in text, apologies.

Glad we are cleared up. I am still going to disagree with you strongly about Saquan Barkley for the entire process. I have stopped arguing Barkley just so the debate doesn't get stale before April, but you better be read to go 15 rounds come the last few days before the draft haha. I'll be pretty busy until March though so I wont have as much time to post here. Basketball keeps me far more busy than football season. Pays better too and the fans are far more entertaining with their heckling. Got a game tonight between two schools that had a bench clearing brawl in a JV football game that resulted in all sorts of arrest and suspensions for students, coaches and parents, so I'm just hoping to make it out alive haha.

Archived