We Did it!! DARNOLD DECLARES FOR the DRAFT!!!

Mind Character

1 minute ago, H2ThaIzzo said:

Depends. Is Hue Jackson still the coach?

If we assume they trade for him this offseason, and he does however as well you believe he would, then let's say yes, the good performance goes in hand with Hue's job security.

My question would be at which point does this team have the capability to compete for a championship? It's a push that the Chiefs are currently, finally at this level with Smith and that production, and they have a much better roster and a power trio of weapons.

And then how long does that window remain open?

Because he is going to be 34 when he takes his first snaps with us, an 0-16 team. It's a huge reach IMO to assume that we become a contender in the time he has left  performing at a good level.

And if he doesn't ever get us to that point, and more realistically has us sitting around 7-9, 8-8, 9-7 for two or three years, what was the actual point of it all in the end? Other than to pass us up the opportunity to take the best QB in the draft, and instead stick us in the middle of drafts with the problem of being at square one with an old QB and no real power in the draft.

I'm all for bringing Smith on board to add credibility to this pathetic team, but I don't want to pass up real hope; that young stud 20-year-old #1 QB that could give us a proper extended time period of being good.

2 hours ago, Aztec Hammer said:

I'm all for bringing Smith on board to add credibility to this pathetic team, but I don't want to pass up real hope; that young stud 20-year-old #1 QB that could give us a proper extended time period of being good.

Can't do one without the other.

And the other has to be the right one.

'm all for bringing Smith on board to add credibility to this pathetic team, but I don't want to pass up real hope; that young stud 20-year-old #1 QB that could give us a proper extended time period of being good

If the Browns were to acquire Alex Smith, I would say he would be good to start for three years. I don’t think that would be a problem. We would NOT need to rush the new #1 QB or Kizer back in there to play. Aaron Rodgers wasn’t rushed, and that worked out all right, and now we getting all these ex-Green Bay personnel guys in here, they’ve seen how it can work. 

So I wouldn’t get all worked up if the heir sits and learns behind the vet for two or even three seasons. There is successful precedent for this. Steve Young, Aaron Rodgers. Even Carson Palmer sat for one year. Jimmy Garrapolo. It’s beem done. 

I don’t think anyone wants one or the other. Pretty sure everyone wants both. Smith might be one of the best vet QBs to have. Speciall if the browns go with a #1 overall QB. Having Smith a former #1 tutoring a new #1 would be pretty smart. Even better is that smith isn’t washed up yet and could still give you a couple of good seasons

5 minutes ago, buno67 said:

I don’t think anyone wants one or the other. Pretty sure everyone wants both. Smith might be one of the best vet QBs to have. Speciall if the browns go with a #1 overall QB. Having Smith a former #1 tutoring a new #1 would be pretty smart. Even better is that smith isn’t washed up yet and could still give you a couple of good seasons

My comments were part of a reply to H2thaIzzo, who said he wouldn't mind getting Smith and trading away the #1 pick.

Archived