BDL 2018 Contract Negotiations/Transactions

SirA1

3 hours ago, pheltzbahr said:

Gotham 3Up #1 - Xavier Rhodes

RL Contract  -  $70.100.00/5yrs  http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/xavier-rhodes-12305/

BDL Offer - 11.917/5

Gotham 3Up #2 - Tyler Eifert

RL Contract - $5.500.000/1   http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/tyler-eifert-12301/

BDL Offer - 4675/1

Approved: Rags, BCB, MD4L, SirA

6 minutes ago, WFLukic said:

Confirm.

I'm going to be honest.  I am seriously debating denying this trade.  The trade council was made to preserve the competitive balance of the league.  Trading away a solid edge rusher for a 6th round pick when that would leave Louisiana with only two edge rushers on the roster is getting to that point for me.  

That is because a team could get away with three main edge guys over the course of the year, but if two guys are getting 100% of the snaps(or even 90% cause they won't find a replacement at this point that could handle more), I think everyone in the league will reasonably ding them because there's no way those edge guys would hold up.  Especially later in the season.  JPP and Sheard would be almost worthless by week 9 if asked to play every snap.  

So, does it hurt the competitive balance of the league for a team to guarantee it will have no functional edge rush the second half of the season?  Is that a form of purposeful tanking?  

Not denying yet, but I am having a hard time seeing the rationale behind this.

• Like 1

4 things:

1. JPP & Sheard respectively played 92% & 84% of their teams defensive snaps in the prior year. 

2. I'm moving to a 4-3. Dupree isn't a fit for my team.

3. Chris Jones will play snaps at LDE - he's playing on the outside more this year. 

4. FA & Shark Tank dude. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

Approve Dupree trade imo .  Jizz will have tons of cash to sign depth guys in fa 

17 minutes ago, WFLukic said:

4 things:

1. JPP & Sheard respectively played 92% & 84% of their teams defensive snaps in the prior year. 

3. Chris Jones will play snaps at LDE - he's playing on the outside more this year. 

4. FA & Shark Tank dude. 

Fair enough and I totally understand the point of view on most of these points.  I could argue some of them, but that's not really the point here.  

But I don't think I'd be doing my job on the trade council if I didn't at least bring this up.  Especially because spending in FA isn't guaranteed.  It's not like we have a cap floor.

Edited by Ragnarok
I lied about not wanting to argue them. Clearly.

17 minutes ago, WFLukic said:

4 things:

4. FA & Shark Tank dude. 

Actually, just for fun discussion, I'll touch on each of these.

1.  They did, but their effectiveness is debatable at best.  How much better could JPP be if he only had to play 80%?  And Sheard has never been anything more than average.

2.  I will probably play a 4-3 this year, but I have the absolute faith that Houston can thrive as a LE.  Dupree has the size to play end, so I don't buy this.  Players can play.  Bottom line.

3.  This is a good point as Jones has the athleticism to play DE on certain downs.  It addresses the concern about playing percentages to an extent.

4.  I can't take that into account whatsoever.  I have no way of knowing who you might sign, so I really can't assume that your cap space will result in signings.  What a team might do will always be 100% irrelevant when it comes to me approving or denying a deal.

Edited by Ragnarok
  • Like 1