Rams 2018 offseason

holt_bruce81

4 minutes ago, RamPackFan said:

Realistically we only have Kupp and Woods going into the season...Reynolds is unproven, we're gonna have to do better than that.... McVay is not satisfied with that and I'm willing to bet 1 out of our 2 first picks will be addressing  that - take it to the bank 

Everyone is unproven at some point. Reynolds looked good in his limited time last season, and you have to imagine the coaches think he's ready to take the next step based off the offseason so far (not franchising Sammy, not signing a WR yet). We'll definitely add to the position for depth, but I can't imagine them bringing anyone in that would overtake Reynolds immediately. At the very least, there would be a camp battle for the starting spot.

4 minutes ago, JonStark said:

Everyone is unproven at some point. Reynolds looked good in his limited time last season, and you have to imagine the coaches think he's ready to take the next step based off the offseason so far (not franchising Sammy, not signing a WR yet). We'll definitely add to the position for depth, but I can't imagine them bringing anyone in that would overtake Reynolds immediately. At the very least, there would be a camp battle for the starting spot.

true, but even if Reynolds is the man we STILL need more than that is my point. Pharroh Cooper, Tavon Austin and Mike Thomas are NOT the answer nor should anyone feel comfortable with that kind of depth

2 minutes ago, RamPackFan said:

Realistically we only have Kupp and Woods going into the season...Reynolds is unproven, we're gonna have to do better than that.... McVay is not satisfied with that and I'm willing to bet 1 out of our 2 first picks will be addressing  that - take it to the bank 

I find the certainty a little strange.  You want another receiver added to the team, I get that, but if the team truly felt the need to have to be 3 deep with "studs" (again, not really the way McVay's offense has ever worked - here or in Washington) they'd have bent over backwards to retain Sammy after trading the 2nd to acquire him.  They didn't.  They have a plan and I don't see any reason to be certain that plan involves one of our first two picks.  If we were struggling to put the ball in the end zone (which was Washington's main issue and why they went out of their way - investing a 1st round pick in Doctson and a prove-it free agent deal in Pryor), I could see the need for prioritizing another target early, but rookie receivers notoriously take a while to adjust (we kind of got spoiled by Kupp, but his biggest selling point was the highest floor at his position in his class and in some time).

We're still going to see guys cut from rosters who will be useful to us.  And some guys (I suspect Mike Wallace may be one such) there's no real point in prostrating ourselves trying to bring onboard, because they're going to sit tight and wait for training camp injuries to create opportunities for them.

2 minutes ago, The LBC said:

I find the certainty a little strange.  You want another receiver added to the team, I get that, but if the team truly felt the need to have to be 3 deep with "studs" (again, not really the way McVay's offense has ever worked - here or in Washington) they'd have bent over backwards to retain Sammy after trading the 2nd to acquire him.  They didn't.  They have a plan and I don't see any reason to be certain that plan involves one of our first two picks.  If we were struggling to put the ball in the end zone (which was Washington's main issue and why they went out of their way - investing a 1st round pick in Doctson and a prove-it free agent deal in Pryor), I could see the need for prioritizing another target early, but rookie receivers notoriously take a while to adjust (we kind of got spoiled by Kupp, but his biggest selling point was the highest floor at his position in his class and in some time).

We're still going to see guys cut from rosters who will be useful to us.  And some guys (I suspect Mike Wallace may be one such) there's no real point in prostrating ourselves trying to bring onboard, because they're going to sit tight and wait for training camp injuries to create opportunities for them.

I'm not saying "studs" by any means.  Look at the depth chart, LBC.  It's thin...very thin.  Mike Thomas probably won't even make the roster by the time season rolls around....Pharoh Cooper is a slot guy - back up at that. Tavon Austin....and that about sums that up.  So, basically we have Kupp and Woods and nobody to compete with Reynolds (who caught what, 3 balls last year?). Did ANYONE see us drafting Gerald Everett last year with our 1st selection? Did anyone think TE was a priority? As I remember everyone was pounding on the table for Oline (western kentucky kid). Everyone thought we were going WR, CB or OLine......you can go back at all the last year's mocks to confirm that.  McVay will look to feed this offense and add weapons in this draft....why shouldn't there be such certainty with that statement?

9 minutes ago, RamPackFan said:

I'm not saying "studs" by any means.  Look at the depth chart, LBC.  It's thin...very thin.  Mike Thomas probably won't even make the roster by the time season rolls around....Pharoh Cooper is a slot guy - back up at that. Tavon Austin....and that about sums that up.  So, basically we have Kupp and Woods and nobody to compete with Reynolds (who caught what, 3 balls last year?). Did ANYONE see us drafting Gerald Everett last year with our 1st selection? Did anyone think TE was a priority? As I remember everyone was pounding on the table for Oline (western kentucky kid). Everyone thought we were going WR, CB or OLine......you can go back at all the last year's mocks to confirm that.  McVay will look to feed this offense and add weapons in this draft....why shouldn't there be such certainty with that statement?

It’s the same depth chart for last years offense minus one guy. McVay turned that onto a special offense. All we lost is a little used vertical thread and we have two young guys who have the ability to step into that role. They just need the snaps to continue developing. WR is the last position I’d put as a need this off season.

30 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

It’s the same depth chart for last years offense minus one guy. McVay turned that onto a special offense. All we lost is a little used vertical thread and we have two young guys who have the ability to step into that role. They just need the snaps to continue developing. WR is the last position I’d put as a need this off season.

ok, are you willing to put $ on that then? I say McVay drafts an "unneeded" WR within the 1st 3 picks. 

If Josh Reynols is so special then why hardly ANY playing time last year? answer me that one? 

29 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

the same EXACT argumant can be made about DT, lol.  We were 5th in run defense last year going into this season with the same DLine (front 3)..whom many of you are saying is the #1 need. 

Why would we draft a WR With one of our first 3 picks when we have no idea who our 2 starting MLBs, NT and edge rusher opposite of Barwin will be? We had a top 3 offense last year. 

FWIW, Gurley led the team in receptions last season followed by Kupp.  Watkins had 39 catches and disappeared in a lot of games. It won’t be that hard for Reynolds to replace that in all honesty (The tds certainly will). Drafting a wr in the first couple rounds makes 0 sense when we have more pressing needs on defense. 

17 minutes ago, Car_Ramrod said:

Why would we draft a WR With one of our first 3 picks when we have no idea who our 2 starting MLBs, NT and edge rusher opposite of Barwin will be? We had a top 3 offense last year. 

FWIW, Gurley led the team in receptions last season followed by Kupp.  Watkins had 39 catches and disappeared in a lot of games. It won’t be that hard for Reynolds to replace that in all honesty (The tds certainly will). Drafting a wr in the first couple rounds makes 0 sense when we have more pressing needs on defense. 

12 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

According to who?

I made an error on those stats

13 minutes ago, Car_Ramrod said:

Why would McVay draft J. Crowder in 2015 when they already had Jackson and Garcon? Why in 2016 did he draft J.Docton when he had Crowder, Jacskson AND Garcon?  McVay drafts weapons - history will show you that regardless of who YOU think is a priority.  McVay is offensive minded - it's not hard to figure that out. 

3 minutes ago, RamPackFan said:

This is saying we gave up the 5th MOST rushing yards in the league

If you go Avg yards per rush, we gave up 4.7, thats tied for 2nd WORST

For a team that won 11 games (i.e. teams arent killing the clock on us) that is HORRENDOUS. We has the 22nd most rushes against, and gave up the 5th most total yards. Also, only 3 teams gave up more Rushing TDs than we did.

29 minutes ago, RamPackFan said:

ok, are you willing to put $ on that then? I say McVay drafts an "unneeded" WR within the 1st 3 picks. 

If Josh Reynols is so special then why hardly ANY playing time last year? answer me that one? 

Absolutely I’m comfortable with the WR depth chart. It seems you and many others have forgotten McVays message. He designs the offense around the people he has. As for why he didn’t get more time I have no idea, go ask McVay. Since he was drafted and during the season even this off season McVay has been very complimentary of Josh.

26 minutes ago, RamPackFan said:

the same EXACT argumant can be made about DT, lol.  We were 5th in run defense last year going into this season with the same DLine (front 3)..whom many of you are saying is the #1 need. 

This might be the worst counter argument ever. Our defense before McVay, the one you’re saying was #5 vs the run. Last year may have been some of the same players, definitely not all. Remember we traded Will Hayes who started at DE and we started Easley at DT next to Brockers. The biggest change was scheme! We went from a 4-3 to Wades 3-4 and didn’t have the best fits at NT and ILB and the defense suffered because of it. 

11 minutes ago, RamPackFan said:

Why would McVay draft J. Crowder in 2015 when they already had Jackson and Garcon? Why in 2016 did he draft J.Docton when he had Crowder, Jacskson AND Garcon?  McVay drafts weapons - history will show you that regardless of who YOU think is a priority.  McVay is offensive minded - it's not hard to figure that out. 

Because the two veterans you list were aging and approaching free agency. Our oldest WR is Woods and he just signed. Comparison isn’t even close. Plus did he have that much input on the draft or was it Jay Gruden?

Archived