GWT: Week 19 Saints @ Vikings

gopherwrestler

GWT: Week 19 Saints @ Vikings  

119 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins?

1 hour ago, gopherwrestler said:

Not trying to really argue with anybody here but...

How does your team match up with big, athletic TE's now, because we use two of them, Rudolph & Morgan?

How does your LB's match up with skat backs, McKinnon?

How do they plan on covering Thielen from the slot? Do they plan on Lattimore to move inside?

Hard to not be a little worried about Diggs and Thielen when one or the other is hiding out in the slot.

Most likely the two outside guys will spend a lot of time on Laquon Treadwell, and Michael Floyd.

All good questions. Lattimore is practically shutdown...QBs rarely look his way. Crawley can be beat...but he does a pretty good job limited damage and usually doesn’t allow blown coverages. He is good for a few PI calls per game...but usually they aren’t BAD PI plays on his part. He and Lattimore will cover the slot but they are usually on the boundary. Teams can exploit the slot with Vaccaro gone. Surprisingly, the Saints haven’t been horrible against TEs. I think that they run a decent scheme to defend the position. The biggest problem the Saints defense has had is stopping the run and getting off the field on third down. They’ve not been bad in the red zone. 

Vikings secondary is hands down the best in the league, its not close.

Rhodes - top 3 CB - lock down & will mirror thomas

Waynes - used to be our "weak link" but he is pretty strong down field as the season went on, and it #1 tackling CB in league. Most improved player on defense.

Smith - #1 S in league.... and lines up everywhere, outfield, slot, blitz through any gap

Senjaeo - I'm not sure of his ranking, but he has been huge for us this year, great in run support.

Newman - ageless wonder, still plays 70%? snaps, and knows the defensive assignments perfectly, takes great angles

Vikings game plan will be to stack the box with DL & Barr/Kendricks (both beasts) to stop the run \ get pressure .... and let the DBs do their thing when Brees dropback.

41 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

I disagree on your "what the game will come down to"

I think It comes down to if the Vikings defense holds your offense to less than 125% of its normal points given up at home.

With that in hand, Vikings likely control the time of possession, and likely the game.

What I'm saying is that I feel like Vikings will definitely hold the Saints offense to a relatively low number of points, and the question mark is whether Saints defense can do the same to the Vikings offense.

1 hour ago, CriminalMind said:

Vikings secondary is hands down the best in the league, its not close.

Rhodes - top 3 CB - lock down & will mirror thomas

Waynes - used to be our "weak link" but he is pretty strong down field as the season went on, and it #1 tackling CB in league. Most improved player on defense.

Smith - #1 S in league.... and lines up everywhere, outfield, slot, blitz through any gap

Senjaeo - I'm not sure of his ranking, but he has been huge for us this year, great in run support.

Newman - ageless wonder, still plays 70%? snaps, and knows the defensive assignments perfectly, takes great angles

Vikings game plan will be to stack the box with DL & Barr/Kendricks (both beasts) to stop the run \ get pressure .... and let the DBs do their thing when Brees dropback.

They are certainly one of the best in the NFL. The Jags are right there with them. Going forward, I think the Saints could be in the top 5/top 3 conversation in the coming years.

Lattimore- Played like a top 3 CB as a rookie. Loads of potential to be a pro bowler/all pro for years to come. PFF grade of 90.7 (elite). Just 21 years old.

Crawley- Has played like a top 20 CB this season. He was a bit raw coming into the NFL last year, but continues to get better and better with experience. PFF grade of 83.9 (Above Average). Just 24 years old.

Marcus Williams- Started 15 games as a rookie. Continued to improve throughout the year, and has looked really good the latter part of the season. Has excelled as our deep safety covering a ton of ground and made several splash plays this year for us. PFF grade of 87 (High Quality). Just 21 years old.

Vonn Bell- Has been a solid young SS for us. He had 4.5 Sacks during the regular season, and 1 so far during the playoffs. Also had 2 Forced Fumbles. He has been solid in run support, and can make some plays in the backfield for us. He's just 23 years old.

Kenny Vaccaro- At his best, he is a dynamic versatile piece that we move all over on defense. Unfortunately it seems that he is a bit inconsistent. He was ranked in the top 15 in the slot for QB rating against this season, so he was pretty effective there for us. Just 26 years old.

Delvin Breaux- Missed this season due to injury. Prior to this year he has been our number 1 CB the past couple seasons. If we can bring him back, he'd give us a great trio of CB's to work with.

38 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Another LB down for the Saints?

As long as it isn't Robertson, or Teo it doesn't matter at this point for us. Mauti has been a warm blooded body on the field, but not much more. We could sign just about any free agent for similar production.

9 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

As long as it isn't Robertson, or Teo it doesn't matter at this point for us. Mauti has been a warm blooded body on the field, but not much more. We could sign just about any free agent for similar production.

Mauti wasn't much of anything but a special team guy here so I understand what you mean. He is just kind of a cool story.

You guys have Hodges. Zimmer hated him here. Maybe y'all will plug and play him.

5 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Mauti wasn't much of anything but a special team guy here so I understand what you mean. He is just kind of a cool story.

You guys have Hodges. Zimmer hated him here. Maybe y'all will plug and play him.

Yeah he's got the cool story, but he just misses so many tackles/takes poor angles on defense that he's a liability for us.

Wouldn't mind seeing what Hodges has if it comes to that as he has at least put up an 80+ tackle season, and had 3 sacks last year. 

Just now, tyler735 said:

Yeah he's got the cool story, but he just misses so many tackles/takes poor angles on defense that he's a liability for us.

Wouldn't mind seeing what Hodges has if it comes to that as he has at least put up an 80+ tackle season, and had 3 sacks last year. 

Hodges probably should have had over 100 tackles on that defense.

If you want to see bad angles and missed tackles, Hodges is your guy!

Main reason the Vikings dumped him out to San Fransisco for at the time a back-up Center and a 6th round draft pick.

SF ended up not wanting him, and the Bills ended up cutting him.

1 minute ago, gopherwrestler said:

Main reason the Vikings dumped him out to San Fransisco for at the time a back-up Center and a 6th round draft pick.

SF ended up not wanting him, and the Bills ended up cutting him.

forgot about that trade, turned out to be a good one in hindsight since that center was nick easton (our starting LG before he went on IR a couple weeks ago). we drafted moritz boehringer with the 6th rounder but we don't have to mention that again...

if i remember though SF was decimated by injuries and were desperate for a linebacker which is probably why they gave up so much for hodges.

Archived