Bears Hiring Matt Nagy

The Gnat

So they hired somebody who...

Never developed a QB in seven years as a QB coach.

Never designed an offense 

Has seven games of play calling experience, and has only called plays on an offense with great talent.

I actually like a lot of what they have done, but some teams are just committed to stay bad.

14 hours ago, patriotsheatyan said:

So they hired somebody who...

Never developed a QB in seven years as a QB coach.

Never designed an offense 

Has seven games of play calling experience, and has only called plays on an offense with great talent.

I actually like a lot of what they have done, but some teams are just committed to stay bad.

Yes that's exactly it.  They hired Nagy because they want to be bad.

So I guess McDaniels would have been the better choice because he "developed" a HOF QB in Brady and has been calling plays on an offense with great talent for 5+ years?

Or would going the old retread route have been better by hiring a guy like Shurmur, similar to what they did last time around by hiring John Fox?

Edited by topwop1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

Yes that's exactly it.  They hired Nagy because they want to be bad.

So I guess McDaniels would have been the better choice because he "developed" a HOF QB in Brady and has been calling plays on an offense with great talent for 5+ years?

Or would going the old retread route have been better by hiring a guy like Shurmur, similar to what they did last time around by hiring John Fox?

Who knows, maybe they could have gotten the next retread like Belichick, Gruden, Dungy, Coughlin, Kubiak, or Carroll.

This is kind of like when they hired the Stock Broker, only this time it’s a real estate agent. I wonder who they hire next?

Edited by patriotsheatyan

28 minutes ago, patriotsheatyan said:

Who knows, maybe they could have gotten the next retread like Belichick, Gruden, Dungy, Coughlin, Kubiak, or Carroll.

This is kind of like when they hired the Stock Broker, only this time it’s a real estate agent. I wonder who they hire next?

Ya he was a real estate agent 10 years ago after his pro football career ended.  What's your point?  Are you saying that makes him unqualified to be an NFL Head Coach?

Who knows, maybe they are getting the next Mike McCarthy, Mike Tomlin John Harbaugh or Sean Payton.  Guys with no previous HC experience who have won Super Bowls.  Don't hate.

37 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Ya he was a real estate agent 10 years ago after his pro football career ended.  What's your point?  Are you saying that makes him unqualified to be an NFL Head Coach?

Who knows, maybe they are getting the next Mike McCarthy, Mike Tomlin John Harbaugh or Sean Payton.  Guys with no previous HC experience who have won Super Bowls.  Don't hate.

There’s no hate, just honesty. They hired a an offensive guy who has never run or designed his own offense, has six games of play calling experience (which was on a loaded team), and failed to create a franchise QB in either Phily or KC.

22 minutes ago, patriotsheatyan said:

There’s no hate, just honesty. They hired a an offensive guy who has never run or designed his own offense, has six games of play calling experience (which was on a loaded team), and failed to create a franchise QB in either Phily or KC.

Ok.  You can't say for sure that when Nagy was calling plays for the Chiefs this past season that it wasn't his own designs.  Apparently he infused a lot of RPO's into the Chiefs playbook after taking over the play calling so there's that, and in those games with Nagy as play caller the Chiefs averaged close to 30 ppg and 400 ypg.

Also, out of the head coaching candidates this year, which ones can you say that have successfully run their own offense while at the same time created a franchise QB?  I'll be waiting here for your answer because that person certainly isn't Josh McDaniels, nor is it Pat Shurmur, etc.  I just don't see how you can say that there were better candidates out there for the job based on past history.

Edited by topwop1

Just now, topwop1 said:

Ok.  You can't say for sure that when Nagy was calling plays for the Vhiefs this past season that it wasn't his own designs.  Aparantly he infused a lot of RPO's into the Cheifs playbook after taking over the paly calling so there's that, and in those games with Nagy as play caller the Chiefs averaged close to 30 ppg and 400 ypg.

Also, out of the head coaching candidates this year, which ones can you say that have successfully run their own offense while at the same time created a franchise QB?  I'll be waiting here for your answer because that person certainly isn't Josh McDaniels, nor is it Pat Shurmur, etc.

I can absolutely say that the Chiefs offensive system wasn’t created by Nagy. 

None of the candidates have done all of those things (develop a QB, design offense, more than six games experience). The issue is that Nagy has done none of them. I have never seen a less qualified head coach. 

9 minutes ago, patriotsheatyan said:

None of the candidates have done all of those things (develop a QB, design offense, more than six games experience). The issue is that Nagy has done none of them. I have never seen a less qualified head coach. 

No it wasn't but that's not what I said.  I said he incorporated his own plays into that offense when he took over as a play caller, which you cannot refute.

And besides, aren't most, if not all modern day NFL offenses based on previous established systems be it Air Coryell, WCO or Erhardt-Perkins?  Let's not act like any of the candidates have created their own offenses/defenses from scratch.  That's nonsense.

8 hours ago, patriotsheatyan said:

Wait. Jim Tomsula was a DL coach that had a season as HC in Europe. You're saying even he was more qualified? LMAO.

You know who else had that said about them? Doug Pederson. I think Reid's massive recommendation holds plenty of weight.

3 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Wait. Jim Tomsula was a DL coach that had a season as HC in Europe. You're saying even he was more qualified? LMAO.

You know who else had that said about them? Doug Pederson. I think Reid's massive recommendation holds plenty of weight.

I said “never seen a less qualified coach”. Him and Tonsula have similar qualifications.

Reid’s endorsement means nothing unless you expect him to bash his coach. He also had nice things to say about his failures like Childress. 

7 hours ago, patriotsheatyan said:

I said “never seen a less qualified coach”. Him and Tonsula have similar qualifications.

Reid’s endorsement means nothing unless you expect him to bash his coach. He also had nice things to say about his failures like Childress. 

Why would Reid let Nagy to call plays if he didn't think he was any good?  I read that Reid has always called plays up until this season when he let Nagy do it for a few games.  Why the sudden change?

38 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Why would Reid let Nagy to call plays if he didn't think he was any good?  I read that Reid has always called plays up until this season when he let Nagy do it for a few games.  Why the sudden change?

I never said that Reid thought Nagy was no good.

Its sad you have to keep misreading my posts to justify your team’s terrible hire.