Bears Hiring Matt Nagy

The Gnat

So Foxs compensation was below the league average 3 years after he signed the contract? You dont say. In 2017 (cant find numbers from 2015) Fox was the 15th highest paid coach in the nfl (of the numbers that are public). 6 of the guys in front of him have won superbowls.  And another 4 have conference championships in the last decade.  The Bears were not cheap with Fox and Nagy had other options so if the Bears were trying to be cheap he wouldnt have accepted the job.  Again this is not Halas' Bears.  The cheap angle has long been false.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Superman(DH23) said:

So Foxs compensation was below the league average 3 years after he signed the contract? You dont say. In 2017 (cant find numbers from 2015) Fox was the 15th highest paid coach in the nfl (of the numbers that are public). 6 of the guys in front of him have won superbowls.  And another 4 have conference championships in the last decade.  The Bears were not cheap with Fox and Nagy had other options so if the Bears were trying to be cheap he wouldnt have accepted the job.  Again this is not Halas' Bears.  The cheap angle has long been false.

Wrong again man. Those numbers are not 3 years after, they're from 2015 when he signed.

Again the brass are cheap. They have been cheap since the wiz days and they will continue to be cheap because winning is not their priority. They have a large Chicago market that guarantees them money anyhow.

Year Name Age Team Division Salary Comp
2015 Sean Payton 52 New Orleans Saints NFC - South $8,000,000
2015 Pete Carroll 64 Seattle Seahawks NFC - West $8,000,000
2015 Bill Belichick 63 New England Patriots AFC - East $7,500,000
2015 Jeff Fisher 57 St. Louis Rams NFC - West $7,000,000
2015 John Harbaugh 53 Baltimore Ravens AFC - North $7,000,000
2015 Tom Coughlin 69 New York Giants NFC - East $7,000,000
2015 Chip Kelly 51 Philadelphia Eagles NFC - East $7,000,000
2015 Mike Tomlin 43 Pittsburgh Steelers AFC - North $6,000,000
2015 Andy Reid 57 Kansas City Chiefs AFC - West $6,000,000
2015 Mike McCarthy 52 Green Bay Packers NFC - North $6,000,000
2015 Jason Garrett 49 Dallas Cowboys NFC - East $5,000,000
2015 Bruce Arians 63 Arizona Cardinals NFC - West $5,000,000
2015 Jay Gruden 48 Washington Redskins NFC - East $5,000,000
2015 Bill O'Brien 46 Houston Texans AFC - South $5,000,000
2015 Lovie Smith 57 Tampa Bay Buccaneers NFC - South $5,000,000
2015 Gary Kubiak 54 Denver Broncos AFC - West $5,000,000
2015 Chuck Pagano 55 Indianapolis Colts AFC - South $4,500,000
2015 Dan Quinn 45 Atlanta Falcons NFC - South $4,500,000
2015 Marvin Lewis 57 Cincinnati Bengals AFC - North $4,500,000
2015 John Fox 60 Chicago Bears NFC - North $4,250,000
2015 Rex Ryan 53 Buffalo Bills AFC - East $4,250,000
2015 Mike Zimmer 59 Minnesota Vikings NFC - North $4,000,000
2015 Ron Rivera 53 Carolina Panthers NFC - South $4,000,000
2015 Todd Bowles 52 New York Jets AFC - East $4,000,000
2015 Ken Whisenhunt 53 Tennessee Titans AFC - South $4,000,000
2015 Mike McCoy 43 San Diego Chargers AFC - West $4,000,000
2015 Jim Caldwell 60 Detroit Lions NFC - North $4,000,000
2015 Gus Bradley 49 Jacksonville Jaguars AFC - South $3,500,000
2015 Mike Pettine 49 Cleveland Browns AFC - North $3,500,000
2015 Joe Philbin 54 Miami Dolphins AFC - East $3,500,000
2015 Jack Del Rio 52 Oakland Raiders AFC - West $3,500,000
2015 Jim Tomsula 47 San Francisco 49ers NFC - West $3,500,000
Edited by JustAnotherFan

If they are cheap why not just keep the Head Coaches until their contract runs out? Why isnt Fox still coaching the Bears? Why did they let Marc Trestman go? Why did they not let Lovie Smith coach until the end of his contract? 

If they didnt care about winning they could have just let Marc Trestman suck until his 4 year deal ran out. 

Edited by GOGRIESE

8 minutes ago, GOGRIESE said:

If they are cheap why not just keep the Head Coaches until their contract runs out? Why isnt Fox still coaching the Bears?

For the reason other teams don't.....to send a message to the fans and players. The difference between the Bears and most other teams is that they actually DO care and don't mind spending a few more dollars to better the team. The Bears won't. 

13 minutes ago, GOGRIESE said:

Why did they let Marc Trestman go?

Can't exactly let Emery go and keep Trestman. 

14 minutes ago, GOGRIESE said:

Why did they not let Lovie Smith coach until the end of his contract? 

Because he already received one extension and coincidentally they fire him after a 10-6 season with just 1 year left on that extension. Which kind of further proves my point.  

8 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

Fair point to think. . . Could be a Chip Kelly and Nick Foles scenario.  The league is going to break them down this offseason and it will be on McVay and Goff to adjust back.  If they do they could be very good, if not see Chip/Foles comparison. 

McVay runs a WCO and was a NFL OC before joining the Rams. This is nothing like Kelly and Foles. McVay's offense isn't anything new.

4 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

For the reason other teams don't.....to send a message to the fans and players. The difference between the Bears and most other teams is that they actually DO care and don't mind spending a few more dollars to better the team. The Bears won't. 

Can't exactly let Emery go and keep Trestman. 

Because he already received one extension and coincidentally they fire him after a 10-6 season with just 1 year left on that extension. Which kind of further proves my point.  

And what message would that be?

Honestly your rambling on this subject is approaching sad at this point. 

5 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Rambling because you don't agree with it.....okay.

Don't like it, don't read it. It's that simple.

They are getting ready to make Vic Fangio the highest paid dc in the nfl (hes already #2)  thats another nail in the coffin of your tired narrative.

Anybody trying to equate what the Bears are doing here with any thing that has happened in the past isnt paying much attention.  3 years ago the Bears tapped one of the brightest young executives, who was in high demand and extremely well thought of and made him the youngest gm in the nfl.  They backed that up by doing something they had never done in the history of the franchise.  They hired an experienced hc.  They empowered the gm to trade up and draft the first qb taken in the draft and oh by the way the highest drafted qb in the history of the franchise.  Now they have hired one of the 2 hot young offensive coaches as their hc.  And oh by the way they are spending billions of dollars to expand and renovate Halas Hall into a state of the art football operations center.  One thing is for certain they are going for it.  They are swinging for the fences.  It may or may not work but they are 100% trying to win the superbowl and spending the money to do so.  But please tell me more about how cheap they are

2 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

thats another nail in the coffin of your tired narrative.

Another? Where's the first one, I might ask? You first tried to say that they paid Fox alot of money because of his SB appearance and coming off a 13 win season and that all got shot down bye the facts that I provided. You then tried to refute those facts by saying that the numbers were from AFTER he was fired and that all got shot down as well by facts that I provided. 

Seriously, I have yet to hear any facts whatsoever that refutes my argument that the Bears brass are not cheap when it comes to staff hiring. All I have heard are opinions only backed up with "they are not cheap" and that's it. Nothing to backup it up at all. We have you, who up this point, has only proven that you're going to continue ignore any facts that don't fit your narrative. Other than that, we have one person above that asks' questions about the subject (rhetorical or not), I respond to those questions regarding the subject and he don't have anything constructive to add to those statements so he just tries to deflect. 

All I ask for is more proof than a "because I said so" and I haven't seen any of that.  

They are getting ready to make Vic Fangio the highest paid dc in the nfl (hes already #2)

This is hilarious because I know it just furthers my point.

Show me a link to either of these claims - ESPECIALLY that he is already number #2 in the league? Because at this point I think you're just talking out of you're butt for the sake of trying to be right. 

They interviewed him.....so why didn't he get the job(not that I would want that)? Could it be the same way that Dan Quinn left the office is 2015 without a contract?   

Keep in mind, you're also talking about the same regime that gave Turner a contract extension too........but I'm the one that don't pay attention, right?

3 years ago the Bears tapped one of the brightest young executives,

With no resume to speak of either PRIOR to the signing. Just like Nagy. Just like Lovie. Just like Trestman. Just like Emery. Just like Wiz. Just like Jauron. I could go on and on and on. See a pattern here....

If you go to job interview with no resume and you get a high-end job at that position, you think that you're going to get paid more than someone else at that position with more experience? 

They backed that up by doing something they had never done in the history of the franchise.  They hired an experienced hc.

An experienced HC that was well past his prime, had health concerns prior to his hiring and was yet another "old-school" coach that failed to adapt to the turning of the times.........THAT HC? But peyton Manning though......

One thing is for certain they are going for it.  They are swinging for the fences. 

Just like they have in past right?

Edited by JustAnotherFan

What is your definition of resume bc you clearly are talking out your ***.  I cant find any official #s on the dc stuff.  But according to Hub Arkush he was already 2nd highest paid coordinator in the NFL.   Ian Rappaport said there is still details to work out but hes staying as evidenced by the fact the Packers hired Pettine w/out having ever interviewed their top choice. Cmon man.  I did find out one of the reasons that Foxs contract was what it was is both of his coordinators were on the upper tier of coordinator salaries.  

Now the resume arguement.  What do you qualify as a resume? Ill give you Nagys is light.  Trestman had an extensive nfl resume. He had been everywhere.  He also had multiple cfl championships.  Lovie had a history working under Tony Dungy, and was coming off a job where he had taken the worst defense in the nfl and made it a perrennial top 5 unit. But im curious what is acceptable for a coach hire for you.  Apparently you dont think you can hire the hot coordinator without being cheap.  You cant hire an experienced coach without being cheap.  So what is acceptable to you sir?