2018 NFL Draft Discussion

squire12

2 minutes ago, spilltray said:

I think Martinez could look similar if the dl, pass rushers, and dbs were all playing well too.

I like Martinez but he needs a complementary player who potentially has even more natural ability. Martinez is a great student of the game and a decent athlete, but Roquan could be a true difference maker out there. I would love to have a player like that to play with Martinez. 

4 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

ILB in the first would be a completely wasted pick w/ Martinez on this roster.

Adding speed and playmaking ability to the middle of your defense can't possibly be a wasted pick. Especially on a defense like ours in its current state. If you like other guys better, fine, but cmon.

I have no problem with Roquan Smith if our defense is changing. San Fran ran a 34 no problem with Willis and Bowman. This in no way is me saying either of these guys will be that good. But with Dom and Ted gone ILB could become a position a new DC values

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

Adding speed and playmaking ability to the middle of your defense can't possibly be a wasted pick. Especially on a defense like ours in its current state. If you like other guys better, fine, but cmon.

All about value. Improving a spot with a 90% player over an 85% player doesn't help the team as much as improving a more important spot to 85% from 60%.

Just now, packfanfb said:

No, YOU c'mon. 

This is 2017, soon to be 2018.  It is NOT 2008.  It is NOT 1998.  It is NOT 1988.

It is a PASSING league.  We have a starting inside linebacker that would have been voted to the pro bowl if our defense was a top 20 defense.  How often do you think a second inside linebacker is going to be on the field in 2018? 

If we didn't have Martinez, sure.  A top ILB would be a nice asset to have.  But we have Martinez.  A first round ILB is going to take that first round ILB off the field on 60% of plays, or it's going to take a pro bowl ILB off the field for 60% of the plays.

It's a wasted pick. 

I have no general issue with the idea of adding Smith, but I think it's likely that there will be an edge or CB available on the same tier when GB is on the clock.  Spending the pick on one of those spots makes more sense to me.

3 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I have no general issue with the idea of adding Smith, but I think it's likely that there will be an edge or CB available on the same tier when GB is on the clock.  Spending the pick on one of those spots makes more sense to me.

How about we just sign Johnson, Butler, Fuller, Prince or another proven CB in free agency instead so we don't need another first round CB? It would be nice to go into the draft maybe needing to fortify 1 position on defense, not several like most years. Right now I could justify a first round pick at every position on defense except Dline (and prob safety if Burnett comes back).

12 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

All about value. Improving a spot with a 90% player over an 85% player doesn't help the team as much as improving a more important spot to 85% from 60%.

I guess I don't see Smith as replacing Martinez but rather Ryan/Thomas. In that case it might be a 90% player replacing a 50%. Im not against CB or OLB because its obvious we need more talent there as well,  but depending on how the combine goes, pro days and then draft day 1-13, I'm probably still grabbing Smith over a project pass rusher or some of the available CBs, especially if we add any FAs by that time. We sign a guy like Fuller for example and re-up House, do you still go CB in round 1?

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

I guess I don't see Smith as replacing Martinez but rather Ryan/Thomas. In that case it might be a 90% player replacing a 50%. Im not against CB or OLB because its obvious we need more talent there as well,  but depending on how the combine goes, pro days and then draft day 1-13, I'm probably still grabbing Smith over a project pass rusher or some of the available CBs, especially if we add any FAs by that time. We sign a guy like Fuller for example and re-up House, do you still go CB in round 1?

I go a lot of positions before ILB: DE, OLB, CB, S, WR, TE, OT and maybe OG. Even if we sign Fuller, although I'd probably pass on a CB in that scenario. A stable of King, Randall, Fuller, House is pretty solid...

2 hours ago, Kenrik said:

I plugged lawerence in there :). His sideline to sideline speed is amazing. I think he could play olb. We dont have much choice with Martinez playing the way he has. 

I've always been on the dont waste high draft picks on non rushing LBs but when I see all the really good defenses they all have really good LBs. Watching Dion Jones be a difference maker last night. We've been lacking a playmaker in our ILB group for a long long time.

Ding, ding, ding you get it. Having a great pass rusher/edge trumps a great sideline to sideline tackling machine given the fact they both do their jobs the same, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't address that position. Nor does it mean that having speedy, tackling linebackers isn't important. So if a ILB and a edge rusher are equally rated and you have a need at both positions, you'd probably grab the edge guy assuming all other traits match. But if the ILB is rated higher that doesn't mean you shouldn't grab him if you need a edge guy too. Good defenses have good football players, there is no blueprint that says you gotta have your best players play X position and your worst play Y position. 

59 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

No, YOU c'mon. 

This is 2017, soon to be 2018.  It is NOT 2008.  It is NOT 1998.  It is NOT 1988.

It is a PASSING league.  We have a starting inside linebacker that would have been voted to the pro bowl if our defense was a top 20 defense.  How often do you think a second inside linebacker is going to be on the field in 2018? 

If we didn't have Martinez, sure.  A top ILB would be a nice asset to have.  But we have Martinez.  A first round ILB is going to take that first round ILB off the field on 60% of plays, or it's going to take a pro bowl ILB off the field for 60% of the plays.

It's a wasted pick. 

Dont we need a LB that can cover athletic TEs and RBs?

Move to a more traditional 4-3 set, move Martinez to WLB where his size is less of a negative. Smith and Martinez can work together and frankly if Chubb Key Ward and Ridley are off the board he's going to be the best player available for us given our needs quite easily for me. I'd argue he's better than Key currently anyway and maybe Ward too. 

Archived