2018 NFL Draft Discussion

squire12

1 minute ago, pollino14 said:

For those who can follow along, I’m not saying Nelson will be a top 15 pick, I’m just saying he’s not going to be disqualified because he’s a guard. 

I think that if you evaluate him and decide he can't play OT then he's disqualified as top 15.

5 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Guys, I was wrong.  Guard is the third least important position. 

Since 1970, top 14 picks:

RB - 86
DE - 76
T - 75
QB - 72
LB - 72
DB - 69
WR - 68
DT - 57
G - 23
TE - 20
C - 2

That's 30 years worth of top 14 picks where the running game was just as if not more important than the passing game, and still... Guards weren't all that important. 

But Nelson is the best guard since 1970.  Just like Cooper was. 

Part of that is due to LB, CB, and QB being of such importance that teams draft so many unworthy candidates trying to find gold within all the dirt. 

While I agree guards are at the lower end of importance; citing 1st round draft totals doesn’t tell the whole story considering the variables affecting it. 

21 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

That is provably false.  If teams didn't look down on the guard position, more would be drafted in the first round.  Three percent of the top 14 picks since 1970 have been guards. 

You.  Are.  Wrong.

Teams value certain positions above others.  Guard ranks above only kicker and punter.  It is literally the least drafted position in the top 14 outside of kicker and punter.

I don't know why it's so hard for some of you people to understand the concept that it is not a valued position by literally any teams in the NFL right now. 

It's because you're taking a very reasonable argument - guards aren't high priority positions - and unnecessarily twisting it to a black/white absolute. Really, that's all I'm arguing. At some point, a player's grade can be high enough to offset the lack of importance of the position.

Is that Nelson? I don't know. Do I want him? Not really.

3 minutes ago, dcerb44 said:

Part of that is due to LB, CB, and QB being of such importance that teams draft so many unworthy candidates trying to find gold within all the dirt. 

While I agree guards are at the lower end of importance; citing 1st round draft totals doesn’t tell the whole story considering the variables affecting it. 

I think that's exactly the point. Other positions are so important that gambling on a possibly flawed prospect with high upside is worth it more than drafting a safe prospect at a relatively unimportant position. You can get by with a 4th rounder at guard (brilliantly too if you're the Packers), you can't pass rush with 4th round picks.

Just now, chillparsi1 said:

It's because you're taking a very reasonable argument - guards aren't high priority positions - and unnecessarily twisting it to a black/white absolute. Really, that's all I'm arguing.

It is an absolute though.  There are absolutes in football.  Literally every position you can point to having a profound impact on a team.  Can't do that with guard.  Not since the merger.

Literally no team says, "We'll get our starting QB on the second day."
Literally no team says, "We'll get our starting pass rusher on the second day."
Literally no team says, "We'll get our starting CB on the second day."
Literally no team says, "We'll get our starting S on the second day."
Literally no team says, "We'll get our starting WR on the second day."
Literally no team says, "We'll get our starting LT on the second day."

Plenty of teams say that about guard.  We've been saying it for the past ten years.  And we've been doing it.  Better than most teams. 

9 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

It is an absolute though.  There are absolutes in football.  Literally every position you can point to having a profound impact on a team.  Can't do that with guard.  Not since the merger.

This then will be why we cannot agree and so to continue to argue would be a waste of both our times. I tend to be one who lives in grey areas, not black and whites. To each their own. 

How is everyone ranking EDGE's so far?

After watching the top couple guys I'm going:

1) Chubb

2) Landry

3) Key

4) Davenport

5) Ferrell

And I've been talking about him a little bit, not sure where he lands, and his tape is a little hard to make a clear decision, but I like Dorance Armstrong from Kansas. He has super long arms it seems like, and plays with the low pad level that Mac loves. 

Any other suggestions to check out?

Here is the team of players I argued don't make any sense for us to draft with our first pick in last year's draft:

Christian McCaffrey
John Ross
Corey Davis
Forrest Lamp

Corey Davis was a "can't miss" prospect according to people here last year.  John Ross was the speed we need at receiver.  Forrest Lamp wasn't a first round pick because guards aren't first round positions.

When I make a hard stance on who we should or should not draft with our first pick, I'm always right.  I will myself to being right through luck, bitterness and anger. 

1 minute ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Here is the team of players I argued don't make any sense for us to draft with our first pick in last year's draft:

Christian McCaffrey
John Ross
Corey Davis
Forrest Lamp

Corey Davis was a "can't miss" prospect according to people here last year.  John Ross was the speed we need at receiver.  Forrest Lamp wasn't a first round pick because guards aren't first round positions.

When I make a hard stance on who we should or should not draft with our first pick, I'm always right.  I will myself to being right through luck, bitterness and anger. 

Besides McCaffrey I didn't see anyone wanting any of the rest of these guys.

Just now, Packerraymond said:

Besides McCaffrey I didn't see anyone wanting any of the rest of these guys.

You're getting old then.  Or your memory is just bad.  I distinctly remember having to argue against the merits of each one of those players with our first pick. 

Archived