Jaguars vs. Steelers Divisional Playoff GDT

JLambert58

2 minutes ago, BlaqOptic said:

Just because Tomlin feels they should win it all doesn't mean they (a) can, (b) will, or (c) should. 

He can't control several factors such as injuries, etc.

I have a bigger problem is he feel's they shouldn't than if he feel's they should.  In fact any coach that comes in and says "we can't win a Lombardi" should be fired on the spot.

Hence the root of the issue.  Saying it means it has to happen or else, not saying it means you don't believe in the team.  It's a poor use of throwing the coaches words in his face.  When I was an assistant coach of a piss poor team, the players (seniors) said the greatest thing I did for them was make them believe they could win any game and beat everyone.

19 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I said it a page or two ago:

They sign guys to do specific things.  They sign guys to do a single thing, not multiple things.   That's why they have better depth.  Hightower goes down, and they adjust from a 3-4 to a 4-3, put Van Noy back on the inside, use a run stopping LB to come out on the nickle, and use certain corners for specific things.

This seems like a roundabout way of saying because they're coaching and planning is better. Which it obviously is. You talk about them changing their scheme to adapt to injuries. Tomlin is telling his guys before a playoff game he won't ask them to, you know, learn anything new. They're just going to do what they've been doing, only better.

2 minutes ago, JLambert58 said:

Anyone who thinks is Tomlin should be fired is a ******* idiot.  I know some of you aren't old enough to remember, but Cowher had A LOT of losses like this in the playoffs.  Some even worse. 

It's a goddamn competitive league with professional coaches and good players on every team.  The Jags defense is LOADED with talented players.  You can't win every year.  Even the great Belichick & Brady tandem lost for 10 years running - in Brady's prime!  Tomlin is a GOOD coach, not an all-time great, but a hell of a lot better than most of the HCs in the league.

Yeah, this loss sucks and we're all pissed off and ready to fight a bar-full of Patriots fans right now, but to just take the lazy way out and say Tomlin sucks is simpleminded and wrong.  

Cowher only had  2   1-and-done in the playoffs.  Tomlin has 4.

Just now, BlaqOptic said:

Just because Tomlin feels they should win it all doesn't mean they (a) can, (b) will, or (c) should. 

He can't control several factors such as injuries, etc.

Youre wrong.

Tomlin should heal their injuries like one of those fairies from Zelda.

He should also spend his entire life following his players around, since apparently, he is their life coach as well.

Oh, and should cook meals for them year round to make sure none of them gain unwanted weight.

He should also talk to Kim Jong Un....because Tomlin is clearly responsible for their nuclear program.

And dont even get me started in Tomlin's role in sinking the Titanic.    

Lousy bum.

Just now, DR43 said:

are you just messing with me at this point?

nope.  how can someone who has never had the chance to achieve accomplishments get a job which is required to produce accomplishments which are required to get a job.

it's YOUR line of reasoning, not mine.

2 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Youre wrong.

Tomlin should heal their injuries like one of those fairies from Zelda.

He should also spend his entire life following his players around, since apparently, he is their life coach as well.

Oh, and should cook meals for them year round to make sure none of them gain unwanted weight.

He should also talk to Kim Jong Un....because Tomlin is clearly responsible for their nuclear program.

And dont even get me started in Tomlin's role in sinking the Titanic.    

Lousy bum.

your hyperbole aside,  it's not my fault Tomlin himself hypes himself up as a "LEADER OF MEN" then fails to live up to it.  now before you go and break forum rules and insult me again, please read up on what the word LEADER means.

13 minutes ago, BlaqOptic said:

It was 100% true. While, at that time, teams had to make reservations, Cowher was publically speaking that his team reserved their rooms. You cannot have it both ways and laud Cowher when he did some of the exact same things that you lambast Tomlin for.

http://old.post-gazette.com/steelers/20020128patriots0128np6.asp

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2017/12/01/mike-tomlin-steelers-patriots-super-bowl-odds-2017-minnesota-bill-belichick-bill-cowher/stories/201712030049

Cowher told his players to prepare for the week ahead and get it out of the way. The travel arrangements - as your own link notes - were mandatory. Cowher was cocky, but if I'm blaming him for anything, it's more important things like never correcting Troy Edwards running out of bounds on punt coverage all year long. It was allowing his special teams to get abused and cost him a trip to the Super Bowl.

It's pretty far apart from Tomlin speaking out about a first match-up with the Pats in the regular season weeks before hand would determine how the second would play out. One guy called his shot and then, as usual, came up short.

Just now, BlaqOptic said:

You're right. Let's reward Cowher for a missed field goal versus the Chargers and a 20 point comeback against the Browns...

I didn't initiate the comparison.  Don't get mad it backfired on the person who did.   I know this is 2018 America, but some things are simply... facts. 

Just now, CKSteeler said:

This seems like a roundabout way of saying because they're coaching and planning is better. Which it obviously is. You talk about them changing their scheme to adapt to injuries. Tomlin is telling his guys before a playoff game he won't ask them to, you know, learn anything new. They're just going to do what they've been doing, only better.

In a way.  But it's also better planning by the FO to be prepared for these things.  If the FO knows that Tomlin if going to be a guy that generally wants guys that can do multiple things, or what he likes/needs, that's up to them to find guys who fit that.  I mean behind Shazier at ILB this year we had a bunch of ST players and north south LBers.  We didn't have a single sideline to sideline.  And we know that Tomlin likes 1 N-S LBer and 1 E-W LBer on the field.  So that becomes an organizational problem that we didn't better plan to have a LB who might not produce the same but can fill the role.  

And therein lies what Bellechick does much better.  Van Noy is a sideline to sideline LBer.  Grigsby is the guy that comes in for him, a sideline to sideline guy.

Alan Branch, his run stuffing DT goes out, he doesn't panic.  He moves Flowers, his DE, inside.  But instead of bringing another pass rusher in, He puts in Grissom, who's OK at rushing the passer but a good run defender.  So what he did was move a guy to a position that he succeeds playing with a fast penetrating, and brings in a lane holder outside of him, and uses that to better adjust.

Just like when Tuitt went out, a better option to Alualu may have been 2 man fronts, with 5 LBers as opposed to bringing in a guy who struggles against the run.

2 minutes ago, SlevinKelevra said:

nope.  how can someone who has never had the chance to achieve accomplishments get a job which is required to produce accomplishments which are required to get a job.

it's YOUR line of reasoning, not mine.

Nearly an hour ago you said, "Because I want you to point out why he is a good coach without simply pointing out what he has accomplished. "

Who do you think was or is a good head coach in the NFL.  Now explain to me why he is good without simply pointing out what he has accomplished.

Archived