Jaguars vs. Steelers Divisional Playoff GDT

JLambert58

Vince Williams was asked why Jags wide  WRs were so wide open and he said "we had miscommunications". Spence mentioned the same thing and also said someone missed an assignment when Yeldon caught the swing pass on that third and five for 40 yards. Is it just me or has that been a problem consistently on defense? So many missed assignments and miscommunication. I'm tired of hearing of the same crap year after year. The defense gives up way too many big plays. They came into the game with a team record of sacks and yet had ZERO today. No one, not a single defensive player, made a play today. What an embarrassing effort.

Just now, 1BackInBlackFan said:

Vince Williams was asked why Jags wide  WRs were so wide open and he said "we had miscommunications". Spence mentioned the same thing and also said someone missed an assignment when Yeldon caught the swing pass on that third and five for 40 yards. Is it just me or has that been a problem consistently on defense? So many missed assignments and miscommunication. I'm tired of hearing of the same crap year after year. The defense gives up way too many big plays. They came into the game with a team record of sacks and yet had ZERO today. No one, not a single defensive player, made a play today. What an embarrassing effort.

which tells me we need to upgrade the defensive side of coaching or get smarter players .. and I don't think the jags were running some complex offense .. had months after shazier injury to get the communication figured out smh

42 minutes ago, August4th said:

which tells me we need to upgrade the defensive side of coaching or get smarter players .. and I don't think the jags were running some complex offense .. had months after shazier injury to get the communication figured out smh

it wasn't  just shazier's speed and playmaking we lost when he went down, but he communicates better than most give him credit for. On any number of those 3rd and 5 or longer he is making a play to get off the field or having someone in the right  position to make a play

2 hours ago, August4th said:

Communication isnt easily established if you dont have the right defensive playcaller out there. 

This is why ILB might be our biggest need.  We arguably need two new starting ILBs.

6 hours ago, 1BackInBlackFan said:

I didnt think our WRs made many plays at all. We had the 1 deep to Cole and that was about it. Alot of RBs and that play action to Bo. 

Hoping we can take down Brady but your OL looked great protecting Big Ben. We have to get to Brady more often to win

11 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Tell me this....what exactly DO we see from coaches?   And I mean ACTUALLY see.

How much do you, I or any other fan know about what EACH, INDIVIDUAL HEAD COACH does?   

And if you read my entire post, you would see I answered your question.....and Ill admit, most of that answer was based largely on hearsay and what limited stuff I get to see and hear about regarding Tomlin....because most of his impact and work is behind the scenes where us fans cant see.

If you choose to speculate what he does and doesnt do, and blindly want to attribute blame to him for certain things that may or may not be his fault....I cant stop you.....but Im not going to just blindly go along with you either.

The thing is, he is the head coach, so the buck stops with him. If certain things go wrong, like the team playing like they didn't prepare all week long. It is his fault.

6 minutes ago, TXsteeler said:

What % of people do?

A much higher percent than you think.

29,000 PGA Pros in America Alone; 20 NFL coaches per team, 40 in the front office, 20 man training and health staff x32 = 2,560 that work in the NFL alone as non-players.  Looking at about another 2300 players.  Do the same for NBA, NHL, MLS, PGA Tour, College sports, ect.

Here's even a brief look at the top of that:

https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes272021.htm

12 minutes ago, TXsteeler said:

The thing is, he is the head coach, so the buck stops with him. If certain things go wrong, like the team playing like they didn't prepare all week long. It is his fault.

I am well aware that any shortcomings and failures a team has will always be a reflection of the head coach.   

But its pretty easy to tell the difference between the people who are being rational and looking at Tomlin objectively to the people who are just hating.    When certain people do nothing but point out how much he sucks when this team is struggling, but absolutely refuse to give him an ounce of credit for anything when the team is doing well....its pretty obvious what they are doing, and they really have no business being objective.   

There are two guys I work with that dont like Tomlin.   One is kind of an idiot and does nothing but bash Tomlin even though when I challenge him on certain things, he cant respond (much like a certain someone on here).    The other guy doesnt like Tomlin, but he at least admits Tomlin isnt a bad coach....he just gets annoyed with some of Tomlin;s tendencies and the fact that he fails to learn from past mistakes.....which I 100% agree with.

Bottom line....I have no issue with anyone not liking Tomlin....its how certain people go about it that gets annoying.  In other words.....blaming him for everything, giving him credit for nothing and bending over backwards to attribute any success he has had to everyone BUT him.     Its pathetic.  

31 minutes ago, warfelg said:

A much higher percent than you think.

29,000 PGA Pros in America Alone; 20 NFL coaches per team, 40 in the front office, 20 man training and health staff x32 = 2,560 that work in the NFL alone as non-players.  Looking at about another 2300 players.  Do the same for NBA, NHL, MLS, PGA Tour, College sports, ect.

Here's even a brief look at the top of that:

https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes272021.htm

Even if we said 100,000 people per sport and like 10 major sports, that's getting us up to 1/330th of the country, adding in the rest of the world is only going to have a bigger drop off because America probably has the most sports per capita in the world. Just a weird industry for you to pick when finance or business would also work with statistics occasionally and they are probably 10 times more common than athletics. 

Either way, chances are you aren't going to need to bring up statistics in a job interview. If you work in an industry where anything like that is trackable, your prospective employer can look those up themselves, and and interview is for getting things from a potential hire that you can't get from elsewhere. Do you guys really think if Tomlin one day interviewed for a GM job somewhere he would walk in like "my record speaks for itself" and then just leave and get lunch?

17 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I am well aware that any shortcomings and failures a team has will always be a reflection of the head coach.   

But its pretty easy to tell the difference between the people who are being rational and looking at Tomlin objectively to the people who are just hating.    When certain people do nothing but point out how much he sucks when this team is struggling, but absolutely refuse to give him an ounce of credit for anything when the team is doing well....its pretty obvious what they are doing, and they really have no business being objective.   

There are two guys I work with that dont like Tomlin.   One is kind of an idiot and does nothing but bash Tomlin even though when I challenge him on certain things, he cant respond (much like a certain someone on here).    The other guy doesnt like Tomlin, but he at least admits Tomlin isnt a bad coach....he just gets annoyed with some of Tomlin;s tendencies and the fact that he fails to learn from past mistakes.....which I 100% agree with.

Bottom line....I have no issue with anyone not liking Tomlin....its how certain people go about it that gets annoying.  In other words.....blaming him for everything, giving him credit for nothing and bending over backwards to attribute any success he has had to everyone BUT him.     Its pathetic.  

Well don't argue with stupid people then. Tomlin is obviously a good coach, he's tied for 11th all time in win percentage, tied for 9th if you don't count guys who coached during ww2 and before. He's also only behind 4 of those guys in total wins, you can't get to those numbers accidentally. I just have a problem with Tomlin's team making bad mistake that seem very easily preventable.

Switch Tomlin for Belichick and we are probably undefeated so far this season just because he wouldn't make bad decisions.

12 minutes ago, TXsteeler said:

Even if we said 100,000 people per sport and like 10 major sports, that's getting us up to 1/330th of the country, adding in the rest of the world is only going to have a bigger drop off because America probably has the most sports per capita in the world. Just a weird industry for you to pick when finance or business would also work with statistics occasionally and they are probably 10 times more common than athletics. 

Either way, chances are you aren't going to need to bring up statistics in a job interview. If you work in an industry where anything like that is trackable, your prospective employer can look those up themselves, and and interview is for getting things from a potential hire that you can't get from elsewhere. Do you guys really think if Tomlin one day interviewed for a GM job somewhere he would walk in like "my record speaks for itself" and then just leave and get lunch?

Wrong.  Sales, finanace, marketing, education, statistical analysis, any job with an numerical quantitative measure will have statistics involved in the interview.

And they come up. Because the employer will ask about them.  "Why are they good?  Why bad?  What was the numbers overall at your employer like?"  

When I'm looking for a new coach at my business or at the HS I coach at, I make them tell me all that stuff even if I already know it.  I want to see how they recall things like that.  WHat type of tone they put it in.  Is it a big deal to them.  Is it nothing.  Are they proud of it.  Are they embarrassed.

If you think statistics don't come up in interviews you are mistaken.

13 hours ago, 1BackInBlackFan said:

our best defender was a Brown that was kicked to the curb - Haden. No wonder the browns can't win a game, supposed to keep the good players.

The more I hear from the players , the more it shows the coaches are to blame the most . Anyone that defends them didn't watch the game.

Archived