2018 Free Agency Discussion Thread

AnAngryAmerican

8 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

I mean if we land Sua Cravens its hard to say we didn't have a great offseason. He is a swiss army knife.

Wish he could put on just a bit more weight where he can be slid inside...would probably be better than Trev was.  I wish Trev could come back.  

Just now, paul-mac said:

Potential developmental Tackles:

Brandon Parker from North Carolina A&T (Late 3rd)

Greg Senat from Wagner (4th)

Brett Toth from Army (4th-5th)

Alex Cappa from Humboldt State (4th-5th)

Jamil Demby from Maine (5th)

I think this is where you find all-pro linemen.  I get the Nelson buzz...but, have you seen the production of linemen taken in the top 10?  It is terrible.  If you look around the league, the best linemen were taken day 3-4.  If you can get one or two of these guys and develop them behind a few of the vets along the line, you are in good shape...you'd be putting a few good guys in front of Saquon to run behind..or, in front of, if we want to get technical about it.  

11 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

I mean if we land Sua Cravens its hard to say we didn't have a great offseason. He is a swiss army knife.

Let’s not go overboard.  

Brock and Veldheer haven’t been healthy and played close to a full season since 2015.   That’s a long time in football.   The reason why they are good pickups is the cost is low market-wise.   But they are far from locks.   Todd Davis was an awful uninspired re-sign.   The biggest argument was we had no options left.  McDonald is a good get.  But he was also necessary because Gotsis’ future is now in doubt.  

We are marginally better if Veldheer isn’t a good RT (either due to regression or injury).     We aren’t amazingly better even if he is an upgrade (but at least we can hope no one gets killed by awful RT play).  Not enough to be a legitimate hopeful for the playoffs.  Only McDonald is signed past 2018 and he’s 31.  And we did all of this by reducing our future cap for these moves.    So it’s not like we built for the future either. 

Veldheer gives hope we made RT better.   But it’s a stopgap not long term solution.  And we aren’t so much better that it’s a huge difference maker.   As with last year the draft is going to be how we get that big bump.  The one other piece of good news from yesterday is that Veldheer should prevent Elway from reaching with short term need in mind.   That might be more of a key impact than how Veldheer plays in 2018 given that his signing likely doesn’t change our fate (no playoffs). 

21 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Let’s not go overboard.  

Brock and Veldheer haven’t been healthy and played close to a full season since 2015.   That’s a long time in football.   The reason why they are good pickups is the cost is low market-wise.   But they are far from locks.   Todd Davis was an awful uninspired re-sign.   The biggest argument was we had no options left.  McDonald is a good get.  But he was also necessary because Gotsis’ future is now in doubt.  

We are marginally better if Veldheer isn’t a good RT (either due to regression or injury).     We aren’t amazingly better even if he is an upgrade (but at least we can hope no one gets killed by awful RT play).  Not enough to be a legitimate hopeful for the playoffs.  Only McDonald is signed past 2018 and he’s 31.  And we did all of this by reducing our future cap for these moves.    So it’s not like we built for the future either. 

Veldheer gives hope we made RT better.   But it’s a stopgap not long term solution.  And we aren’t so much better that it’s a huge difference maker.   As with last year the draft is going to be how we get that big bump.  The one other piece of good news from yesterday is that Veldheer should prevent Elway from reaching with short term need in mind.   That might be more of a key impact than how Veldheer plays in 2018 given that his signing likely doesn’t change our fate (no playoffs). 

But I'll  ask you what did you expect especially seeing how crazy the market was? This is a two year process it just is. We aren't giving a 5 year 60 million dollar contract out 

11 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

But I'll  ask you what did you expect especially seeing how crazy the market was? This is a two year process it just is. We aren't giving a 5 year 60 million dollar contract out 

If it’s a 2+ year process we have 2 guys from FA signed for 2019.  Including Keenum.  FA has made no impact for the end result beyond what he’ll do.  Our offseason moves have also been done at the expense of our future cap health.   Even with Marshall / Wolfe / one of our top 2 WR / Watson / other lesser contracts on marginal vets off the books we’ll be a bottom 7-8 team cap wise next year.     As it stands we are now 29th out of 32 teams.  

I don’t mind Veldheer because you can’t get other guys killed with play as bad as Watson’s so 2.5M (net effect with Watson cut) has worth.   DT McDonald might help in 2019.  But even then he wouldn’t be necessary if Gotsis had panned out to be a 2-way threat (just a run D guy) and of course the arrest.  It actually underlines why we need to be way better in the draft.  FA is barely a needle mover long term for us to return to contention. But even in this tier it’s draining our future rebuilding potential.   Which is a 2-year process best-case.  So calling the offseason fantastic is a huge stretch.  

Just now, Broncofan said:

If it’s a 2-year process we have 2 guys from FA signed for 2019.  Including Keenum.  FA has made no impact for the end result beyond what he’s done.  Our offseason moves have also been done at the expense of our future cap health.   Even with Marshall / Wolfe / one of our top 2 WR / Watson / other lesser contracts on marginal vets off the books we’d be a bottom 7-8 team cap wise next year.     

I don’t mind Veldheer because you can’t get other guys killed with play as bad as Watson’s so 2.5M (net effect with Watson cut) has worth.   McDonald might help in 2019.  But even then he wouldn’t be necessary if Gotsis had panned out to be a 2-way threat (just a run D guy) and of course the arrest.  It actually underlines why we need to be way better in the draft.  FA is barely a needle mover long term for us to return to contention.   Which is a 2-year process best-case.  So calling it fantastic is a huge stretch.  

I'm  not saying fantastic I'm saying not bad. Because for the first time since 2014 I see a direction. We are going to get young talent to groom for 2019 while competing this year with a decent team. It's only decent because we didn't wanna cap strap ourselves future years. 

As a fan I'm proud of that I respect that. Heck Elway is surprising me again. And he's not done cant wait for the draft hes gonna paint his masterpiece. 

11 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I'm  not saying fantastic I'm saying not bad. Because for the first time since 2014 I see a direction. We are going to get young talent to groom for 2019 while competing this year with a decent team. It's only decent because we didn't wanna cap strap ourselves future years. 

As a fan I'm proud of that I respect that. Heck Elway is surprising me again. And he's not done cant wait for the draft hes gonna paint his masterpiece. 

You are seeing things with rose colored glasses.  The 4 guys we acquired who we hope have 2018 impact (Veldheer Brock McDonald) all are 30 or older this season.   The one guy you can dismiss age (Keenum) is the most average talent and the most expensive.   The 2 young guys are the most limited skill set guys whose profile shows these aren’t changing  (Davis and Turner).  They are either incomplete players or bench guys - but what’s worse that now one is paid on their second more expensive contract (Davis) .  And again only 2 guys we hope make an impact are signed for 2019 (I think we all agree Davis is a neutral net effect).   All while our future cap health gets eroded.   So exactly what direction towards the future on young guys are you seeing?  

First you went from a great to not bad offseaon.   So that’s a start.  To say they are going with young guys or the future  isn’t supported at all by the offseason moves.  

29 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

You are seeing things with rose colored glasses.  The 4 guys we acquired who we hope have 2018 impact (Veldheer Brock McDonald) all are 30 or older this season.   The one guy you can dismiss age (Keenum) is the most average talent and the most expensive.   The 2 young guys are the most limited skill set guys whose profile shows these aren’t changing  (Davis and Turner).  They are either incomplete players or bench guys - but what’s worse that now one is paid on their second more expensive contract (Davis) .  And again only 2 guys we hope make an impact are signed for 2019 (I think we all agree Davis is a neutral net effect).   All while our future cap health gets eroded.   So exactly what direction towards the future on young guys are you seeing?  

First you went from a great to not bad offseaon.   So that’s a start.  To say they are going with young guys or the future  isn’t supported at all by the offseason moves.  

When's the last time the team had this many holes entering the draft?

1 hour ago, thebestever6 said:

When's the last time the team had this many holes entering the draft?

That's something that actually gives me a little confidence on the draft. I hope Elway & Co. recognize that we have holes all over the roster and we need to go BPA with every single pick. No more of this falling in love with raw athletes at specific positions and not proven football players. Just draft the top guy on the board with every pick. 

55 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

That's something that actually gives me a little confidence on the draft. I hope Elway & Co. recognize that we have holes all over the roster and we need to go BPA with every single pick. No more of this falling in love with raw athletes at specific positions and not proven football players. Just draft the top guy on the board with every pick. 

Thank you lol !! Your opinion I value . Having you on board is saying something .

Spotrac has updated the cap numbers after the McDonald signing and the Veldheer trade and, with the projected draft pool, we're down to just under $1.4m left in available cap space. 

Certainly there is space to be found, cutting Menelik Watson frees up $4.5m in space, same for C.J. Anderson. But suffice to say, we've pretty much hit our limit on spending. 

42 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Spotrac has updated the cap numbers after the McDonald signing and the Veldheer trade and, with the projected draft pool, we're down to just under $1.4m left in available cap space. 

Certainly there is space to be found, cutting Menelik Watson frees up $4.5m in space, same for C.J. Anderson. But suffice to say, we've pretty much hit our limit on spending. 

It’s why I think CJ is a goner.  Only way he stays is with a pay cut (which I get why he’s not going there) or we suddenly lose a lot of picks and don’t go RB at the draft.   He’s basically RB draft insurance.   We see a RB get drafted Rd4 he’s likely done.   I don’t think we are losing those picks but no reason for Elway to decide predraft. 

Watson only stays with us with an extreme pay cut.   Or in the awful scenario where he can’t pass a physical before the season starts (we’d have to pay him an injury settlement no idea how much that is).  That would be awful.  

Archived