2018 Free Agency Discussion Thread

AnAngryAmerican

4 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

It’s like we’re the Packers or the Steelers with all this penny-pinching in free agency. 

Can't have it both ways. Who should we have signed at the salary they actually received?

Denver is in a dicey situation cap wise because of the bad drafting. Can't tie up all the cap in overpriced FAs. 

57 minutes ago, grizmo78 said:

that's not johnathan hankins :'(

Well with 20M left, we're realistically not getting any major difference-makers.  As long as the $ isn't crazy (with a very low bonus), and the 2nd-year isn't guaranteed, this is the kind of signing we are probably left considering - if he's got a little juice left, then he's signed (hopefully) cheaply for 2019.  If he doesn't then we walk away with little commitment (again, hopefully, depending on the $'s).

What this does tell me - they're not counting on Gotsis anytime soon.   No other reason to sign him, Kerr should have been able to be the backup NT/rotational DE.

54 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

Can't have it both ways. Who should we have signed at the salary they actually received?

Denver is in a dicey situation cap wise because of the bad drafting. Can't tie up all the cap in overpriced FAs. 

Yeah I mean we shouldn't be handing out any deals. Everything hinges on this draft and if last years draft can actually not suck (highly doubtful) 

Yeah this should be cover for the Adam Gotsis legal situation and the fact Walker is moving to DE as a second year man and might need to spend some time working one-on-one with Bill Kollar learning how to play the position at an NFL level. Also, there's the small matter of Derek Wolfe's neck and we probably want more than just Shelby Harris. In an ideal scenario McDonald isn't even a lock to make the 53.

26 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

Yeah this should be cover for the Adam Gotsis legal situation and the fact Walker is moving to DE as a second year man and might need to spend some time working one-on-one with Bill Kollar learning how to play the position at an NFL level. Also, there's the small matter of Derek Wolfe's neck and we probably want more than just Shelby Harris. In an ideal scenario McDonald isn't even a lock to make the 53.

That’s where the 4M salary kinda hurts.  A lot.  Now if it’s a Bridgewater like contract with very little guaranteed then I’m all for that. 

Having said that, the implications of this are scary, whether it's Wolfe's health, Gotsis' legal issues or a lack of faith in Walker's second year development. On paper, the defensive line was already deep, so one or more of the three things I outlined gave the front office pause which is concerning. 

32 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Having said that, the implications of this are scary, whether it's Wolfe's health, Gotsis' legal issues or a lack of faith in Walker's second year development. On paper, the defensive line was already deep, so one or more of the three things I outlined gave the front office pause which is concerning. 

You felt that good about the DL? I'm kinda surprised. The depth was good enough but it still isn't a super strong group. 

1 hour ago, champ11 said:

You felt that good about the DL? I'm kinda surprised. The depth was good enough but it still isn't a super strong group. 

No Maliks in the group but Wolfe, Harris and Peko are all damn good players and Gotsis looks like at least a plus run stopper. I’m projecting a bit that Walker can give us something as a 3T pass rusher. And Kerr is JAG but for depth he’s fine. 

This is all on paper of course. In reality, Wolfe and Gotsis are huge question marks. And Walker might just end up busting.

Archived