2018 Free Agency Discussion Thread

AnAngryAmerican

I would entertain the idea of trading C.J. Anderson to Miami for their RT, J'Wan Jones.   We could find another RB to pair with Booker, but I can't live with Watson as the swinging door Right Tackle.   Maybe we could deal C.J. to New England for a late 3rd, but more likely a 4th?  At least we could get a project in the draft that we can sub in when Watson completely fails on the right side.

4 minutes ago, Epic said:

I would entertain the idea of trading C.J. Anderson to Miami for their RT, J'Wan Jones.   We could find another RB to pair with Booker, but I can't live with Watson as the swinging door Right Tackle.   Maybe we could deal C.J. to New England for a late 3rd, but more likely a 4th?  At least we could get a project in the draft that we can sub in when Watson completely fails on the right side.

We aren't getting anything for CJ from NE - 4.5M actually makes him the 15th-16th highest paid RB.   For a guy with as much mileage and only 1 full season, it's a pipe dream.   NE trades down 8-10 spots in Day 3 to get reclamation projects - they aren't going to give up that kind of value for a RB at that salary.   

We actually had MIA on the hook for James, and no doubt CJ might have been involved, but GM Tannebaum regained his senses, and has pulled RT James off the block (really sucks, Tannebaum has been all over the place this offseason, and suddenly, when he talks to us, he suddenly develops a brain?  Damn).  

Believe me, if James was out there and available, Elway would be back on the phone lines.   We were that close the day before FA opened.   But that ship seems to have sailed.  Oh well. 

57 minutes ago, champ11 said:

bruh if we have to watch Keenum behind a line that includes Menelik Watson I might just sit this one out 

They are trying so hard to sell Case to the fans, man. Missing offseason targets left and right. I think this is a 6-10 team. 

9 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

They are trying so hard to sell Case to the fans, man. Missing offseason targets left and right. I think this is a 6-10 team. 

Yeah, I don’t really understand.  Keenum was a splash.  Everything else is meh and they’ve basically allowed the market to dry up.

I don’t know, maybe long term rolling the money into next year is smart.  Still puzzling they didn’t try and do more.

15 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I have no issue with our offseason keenum good move. That corner good move Idk what people were expecting. I'd like to get Merredith and James other than that I'm happy.

Jeremy Hill intrigued me as well

I mean they signed 2 average (maybe below) players.  Is the team better, probably just because Keenum is a better QB, but the defense is worse than last year, the OL is unchanged, the WRs unchanged, TE unchanged.

There is the draft, but the only position improved from last year is QB.

I think people are dismissing the potential need along the DL/front 7 as well.  Basing this just off the resistance to take Chubb that I’ve seen.

Gotsis isn’t a reliable option at this point and Wolfe is coming off serious neck surgery (though reports are it went well).  That’s both starting DE’s with potential issues.  Peko will be back and be solid as usual.  Harris was a nice addition and has a role.  Walker is moving back to the DL, but I don’t think Denver should throw all their eggs in that basket.  So basically Peko (whose a 2 down run stuffer) and Harris (whose disruptive ability in the passing game is his biggest asset) are the only 2 players we can expect to perform at similar levels to last year.

2 minutes ago, germ-x said:

I think people are dismissing the potential need along the DL/front 7 as well.  Basing this just off the resistance to take Chubb that I’ve seen.

Gotsis isn’t a reliable option at this point and Wolfe is coming off serious neck surgery (though reports are it went well).  That’s both starting DE’s with potential issues.  Peko will be back and be solid as usual.  Harris was a nice addition and has a role.  Walker is moving back to the DL, but I don’t think Denver should throw all their eggs in that basket.  So basically Peko (whose a 2 down run stuffer) and Harris (whose disruptive ability in the passing game is his biggest asset) are the only 2 players we can expect to perform at similar levels to last year.

And Peko is only under contract another year. Lot of questions. It’s too bad because on paper, it’s the only position group left on the team with a legitimate combo of talent and depth. 

1 hour ago, BroncoBruin said:

Lol, I know. It's pretty embarrassing. This thing could go pretty far south if Elway isn't what we thought he was. 

There’s talk that Denver could go QB, I really don’t see it.  The Keenum signing is very reminiscent to the Plummer signing under Shanahan.  IMO, Denver spends the next 2 seasons trying to fortify the rest of the team with young talent, while in the process hitting on a QB in the mid rounds. Hell maybe Chad Kelly ends up being the guy, I don’t know.  But, I think that’s the current plan.

1 minute ago, germ-x said:

There’s talk that Denver could go QB, I really don’t see it.  The Keenum signing is very reminiscent to the Plummer signing under Shanahan.  IMO, Denver spends the next 2 seasons trying to fortify the rest of the team with young talent, while in the process hitting on a QB in the mid rounds. Hell maybe Chad Kelly ends up being the guy, I don’t know.  But, I think that’s the current plan.

Say that’s true I know you watch a lot of college tape what’s your big board for Denver look like?

18 minutes ago, broncofan48 said:

Say that’s true I know you watch a lot of college tape what’s your big board for Denver look like?

I actually haven’t watched as much as I wanted this year.  Did a lot of reading and just watched guys that interested me.

If Denver isn’t going QB round 1 I’d probably say Barkley and Chubb at 1.5 and one of them projects to be there now.

I know Nelson is a hell of a prospect, but value wise I’m not a fan at #5.  Denver at #40 probably has a good lineman there, or with a small trade up could get one.  

As I said, Denver’s front 7 isn’t in great shape.  Chubb has elite size, versatility, run stopping, and effort while being a borderline elite pass rusher.  He’ll get double digit sacks throughout the majority of his career and do it without being a liability vs the run and can be lined up in numerous spots depending on situation.

1 hour ago, germ-x said:

This is my argument on why you take overall BPA early on - need is a year-to-year thing, but if you look to 2-3 years down the line, every position but QB is a position of need.   The draft is not how you address current-year needs.   Last year, people kept arguing against Foster saying we had Marshall & Davis & Nelson.   The same argument against Chubb this year with Wolfe/Gostis/Walker.    If a guy is elite-level, and you don't worry about the present-day situation.   Now, if the talent level is close, you can use need as a tiebreaker - why need later on is more than justifiable, once you are out of the top 50-75 depending on the depth of the draft, the gap is very small.   Or if you have 2 very equal talents early.  But not if there's a sizeable gap.

Honestly, we get Rosen/Darnold, great.    But if we aren't going there, just get the most talented guy, the elite difference-maker.

Klis threw out the possibility we'd go WR Round 1 (trade back hypothetical) - this is classic OMG terrible need-based drafting.  There are maybe 1-2 guys who might be a top 25 talent.  Might.  There are a ton of OL and D guys who are clear top-25 guys.   Don't do it.  That it came from Klis is just scary - because as bad as his takes are content-wise, as @AnAngryAmerican has noted, he's the org's mouthpiece.    

Please, Elway, go back to overall BPA.   Don't do present-day need-based drafting early. 

Archived