2018 Free Agency Discussion Thread

AnAngryAmerican

1 minute ago, broncos67 said:

Eh, not necessarily. Brock is only a one year signing. If they sign someone to a longer deal, then I could see that being problematic. But clearly he's far away from being useful

Remember though he’s a 3rd round pick and was the 4th corner last year. If he is getting demoted to the 5th corner then he’s not even a lock to make the team. 

Just now, paul-mac said:

Remember though he’s a 3rd round pick and was the 4th corner last year. If he is getting demoted to the 5th corner then he’s not even a lock to make the team. 

That's true, but IIRC, part of his appeal was his special teams prowess and ability as a gunner. He'll probably contribute in that way. I'd be shocked if he were cut but who the hell knows anymore.

If free agency has shown us one thing - Elway isn’t willing to see 2018 as a bridge year to true contention.   He will try to fix the team short term.   Which is laudable.  But given where we are at we’d be better served moving away from guys with zero upside for multiple years.  

If Davis is signed for only 1 year guaranteed then it’s understandable but still a bad call IMO.  If we are committed beyond that it’s just unbelievably bad.  SMH. 

The only decision worse than Davis at 5M would be to get Eric Decker as our 3rd WR.  I thought this was a ridiculous take but man after this signing can’t rule anything so short-sighted out. 

2 hours ago, broncos67 said:

I like the idea of Breaux. One, killer name. Two, when he's healthy, he was a pretty solid performer for a rookie. I like the prove it deal idea there.

Well, if a QB throws a pick, some fan will have a "U Mad Breaux" sign ready for the cameras.

It's been a while for him since he's been healthy, though.  As long as it's cheap, no-risk deal, no harm whatsoever.  He did play well when healthy.

Re: Langley, he's likely safe for all the reasons you cited - but it's still an indictment we feel we need 4 CB's ahead of him & Rios to start the offseason.   Rios is a UDFA for crying out loud, that's expected.

7 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

Saints former cb passed his physical and will sign. Rin Leary played with him and vouches for him.

I thought so. When they said that he was coming in for a physical, I knew that he was one step away from signing. He will be an outside starter when healthy, and could be a steal like JMG5 says.

I expect that Elway is playing the percentages with signing both Breaux and Brock. He's going to want one of them to play outside in Nickel, with Chris Harris moving inside.

My only concern with that plan would be Special Teams. Who out of Breaux and Brock would be a gunner? The former is injury prone, the latter isn't the greatest athlete. I wouldn't be surprised to see one of them cut when get down to the 53.

12 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

I expect that Elway is playing the percentages with signing both Breaux and Brock. He's going to want one of them to play outside in Nickel, with Chris Harris moving inside.

My only concern with that plan would be Special Teams. Who out of Breaux and Brock would be a gunner? The former is injury prone, the latter isn't the greatest athlete. I wouldn't be surprised to see one of them cut when get down to the 53.

Remember though we usually keep 5+ CB on the 53 man roster.   Langley probably plays on ST.   I’d also expect we will sign Latimer to return and be our big ace.    Rios can play ST IIRC.  

If we keep 6 CB though I’d expect we drop 1 WR or TE.  The guy who should be sweating is McKenzie.   He literally offers nothing in the WR game except as a gadget guy. Which we can let Carlos Henderson do.  Sunshine Taylor can return punts without fumbling 5x in 27 opps.  And he will know the clock runs when you stay inbounds.    Henderson can return kickoffs.   Langley and Latimer can be the PR/KR backups.  

It’s why I objected so much on Draft Weekend with Elway spending the 2 picks on similar players at WR and 3 picks on raw developmental guys with ST return abilities.   It’s a waste of roster resource allocation to duplicate to that level.    

22 hours ago, broncos67 said:

I don't think it's Von Miller effect at all. It's because we have a lot of marginal contributors making too much money, and an imbalance of free agent signings vs. drafted contributors. That's all Elway. Marshall, Stewart, Anderson, Sanders, Thomas, Wolfe, Roby....there's a lot of money there for some spotty play last year. 

Well, right or wrong on this one.  It is now in effect, eh?

21 hours ago, broncos67 said:

The only reason Todd Davis is on the team is because he won the Ed Block Courage Award. There's no other reason. What an abysmal signing. This team's FO is a disaster.

Also, Keenum's deal is for 2 years/$36MM, all $36MM guaranteed for injury, $25MM otherwise. Doesn't necessarily sound like we're going QB.

We are about to sign another one...Delvine Breaux

Archived