2018 Free Agency Discussion Thread

AnAngryAmerican

16 minutes ago, elliot878 said:

It's weird to draft a guard that high, but we're talking about a generational talent in Nelson.  I liken it to the boost the Cowboys line saw the year they added Zach Martin.  The surrounding pieces aren't as good as what the Cowboys had, but if you draft Nelson you're elite at the position for 12 years.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to drafting Nelson but if we can move back with Buffalo and get, say, Roquan Smith at 12 and Will Hernandez at 21 and someone else with their 2nd or have an extra first next year to put in our pocket I think that's a better move. 

Its:

1. Quenton Nelson at #5 OR
  2. Roquan Smith + Will Hernandez + extra 2nd/2019 1st. 

Option 2 is the superior choice, IMO. 

17 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to drafting Nelson but if we can move back with Buffalo and get, say, Roquan Smith at 12 and Will Hernandez at 21 and someone else with their 2nd or have an extra first next year to put in our pocket I think that's a better move. 

Its:

1. Quenton Nelson at #5 OR
  2. Roquan Smith + Will Hernandez + extra 2nd/2019 1st. 

Option 2 is the superior choice, IMO. 

I really haven't had much chance to watch Hernandez much. He tests almost identical to Nelson. I'm curious about his recognition skills. That's one of several areas where Nelson is absolutely shocking. He catches blitzes and stunts immediately and is enough of a bull to knock guys off their feet with one punch.

He really is crazy good and ya gotta love his attitude. D linemen will hate to face him.

Imagine a 15 lb heavier, stronger and more aware version of Scherff with a very nasty demeanor. I've never seen a man that large play like he does. Curious what UK thinks of him. I've never seen a college kid like him.

1 hour ago, AKRNA said:

I really haven't had much chance to watch Hernandez much. He tests almost identical to Nelson. I'm curious about his recognition skills. That's one of several areas where Nelson is absolutely shocking. He catches blitzes and stunts immediately and is enough of a bull to knock guys off their feet with one punch.

He really is crazy good and ya gotta love his attitude. D linemen will hate to face him.

Imagine a 15 lb heavier, stronger and more aware version of Scherff with a very nasty demeanor. I've never seen a man that large play like he does. Curious what UK thinks of him. I've never seen a college kid like him.

Well I'll certainly defer to the experts, you and @broncos_fan _from _uk certainly know o-line play better than I do, I just know that Hernandez is highly-regarded and has the tie to Sean Kugler, his HC at UTEP who's now our OL coach. The footage I've seen of Nelson is extraordinary, even by my less-than well-trained eyes. 

2 hours ago, AKRNA said:

Maybe 2nd? Just seems to me if we commit to an offensive upgrade that'd be a need.

Courtland Sutton, DJ Moore, DJ Chark, Anthony Miller

One of these four should be there at 40 and all offer different skill sets depending on what you think Denver needs. 

8 hours ago, elliot878 said:

It's weird to draft a guard that high, but we're talking about a generational talent in Nelson.  I liken it to the boost the Cowboys line saw the year they added Zach Martin.  The surrounding pieces aren't as good as what the Cowboys had, but if you draft Nelson you're elite at the position for 12 years.

And the Cowboys haven't really done much as a result. I actually like Nelson, and the fact that I'm even in the camp of drafting him at 5 should tell those who have been here awhile how much I like the guy lol. I'm usually not a proponent of OL guys in the first unless they are rock solid, but this is a rock solid pick. The problem is, you're throwing a very, very premium pick at a position that doesn't necessarily need a premium top of the line player. Will Hernandez plus another player is ultimately better than just Nelson. Chubb would be better just because his position is a premium position. Nelson is potentially generational, although I'm a bit gunshy because we've heard this with Chance Warmack and Jonathan Cooper and they were epic busts. 

6 hours ago, Counselor said:

One of these four should be there at 40 and all offer different skill sets depending on what you think Denver needs. 

Wouldn't touch Chark with a 400 foot pole. He's only getting burn this high because he tested off the charts. Homerism aside, DJ Moore is the best WR in the draft, IMO. I would not be opposed to Sutton or Miller, but they are vastly different players. Sutton is more like DT, Miller more like Sanders. Depends what we're looking for. Chark screams Ashley Lelie to me.

13 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

Wouldn't touch Chark with a 400 foot pole. He's only getting burn this high because he tested off the charts. Homerism aside, DJ Moore is the best WR in the draft, IMO. I would not be opposed to Sutton or Miller, but they are vastly different players. Sutton is more like DT, Miller more like Sanders. Depends what we're looking for. Chark screams Ashley Lelie to me.

The thing that separates Chark from a guy like Lelie is he can actually high point a ball, climb the ladder, and make contested catches. 

10 hours ago, germ-x said:

Back to Keenum, though, since I haven’t posted on it.  That guy had SUCKED aside from 1 year with the Vikings.  Elway was petrified in putting his neck on the line and drafting a rookie QB at #5.  I also don’t want to hear any talk about Kubiak and his knowledge/ability to help this organization.  That Keenum signing has Kubiak influence written all over.  Kubiak was the guy that brought Keenum into the league.  Kubiak is the guy that wanted to roll with Trevor Siemian.  Kubiak is the guy who traded for Matt Schaub (the only QB decision he’s ever made that worked out, but who was a backup).  Just like his NFL career as an average backup behind Elway, it seems he has a chip on his shoulder to prove that average players can succeed in the NFL at QB in ways he didn’t.

Elway might not be in the drivers seat at 5 though. It's been discussed at length that 2-3 QBs could be gone by 5. It's hard to roast this move until we see what happens on draft day, IMO. 

8 hours ago, Counselor said:

What was Millers 40? He breaks tackles like a man possesed love his play.

9 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Worst case scenario at 5 Kubiak wants Rosen or Darnold. Elway wants allen and he gets the pick because Kubiak picked Keenum. 

I saw this tweet. It's totally speculative. It's a what-if scenario that assumes Elway didn't like Keenum at all.

Sounds like some of Denver's CB targets agreed elsewhere yesterday. It appears Nickell Robey-Coleman was one of them. I remain hopeful for TJ Carrie. That would allow us to delay a CB selection early. If they could land Austin Howard at RT I'd feel pretty good. Hell, Josh Sitton at OG would be nice too.

So Nate Solder to the Giants. So much for improving the o-line. I guess they're happy with the meathead penalty machine at LT and another journeyman RT.

Can someone explain to me why trading Aquib Talib was necessary? We had to the money to sign Kyle Orton Case Keenum before clearing Aquib's $12m cap number. I guess without Talib we can run Joe Wood's preferred soft zone rather than the press man the helped us win a Super Bowl. 

20 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

So Nate Solder to the Giants. So much for improving the o-line. I guess they're happy with the meathead penalty machine at LT and another journeyman RT.

Can someone explain to me why trading Aquib Talib was necessary? We had to the money to sign Kyle Orton Case Keenum before clearing Aquib's $12m cap number. I guess without Talib we can run Joe Wood's preferred soft zone rather than the press man the helped us win a Super Bowl. 

Maybe you can convince Joe Thomas to play for another bad team??  Maybe that is what he likes, planning his off season after week 17.

Archived