2018 Free Agency Discussion Thread

AnAngryAmerican

39 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

That too. We've got the ability, high draft status and FA, to build an offense any QB could be successful with. Put Lynch, Kelly in that kind of spot and see how they do. If they fail but were given a great chance I don't think anyone here would have an issue with it. I sure wouldn't.

Give Musgrave some talent in the trenches. Upgrade TE. Let our new staff coach up our WR's and pick another one.

Having watched Lynch a bit now, I do think he could be successful in a WC, run heavy offense. Better ball security, emphasis on moving the chains, and let his natural ability make the 2-3 splash plays a game a really good offense needs.

This has to sound weird coming from a guy that's been beating up on Lynch since he was drafted but I'd like to see him get a realistic shot. I still don't think he can do it, but I'd really like to know definitively.

I mean he didn't even get starts those injuries caught up. I just  think a line doesn't help him holding on to the ball and his pocket awareness.  In college he had the highest rated passer under pressure.  He also was great at manipulating the pocket.

These things didn't translate, his deep ball didn't translate. That offense we knew wouldn't translate. For those reasons I'm out and I didn't hate that pick. I wanted prescott round 2 until his Dui happened. When Dallas got him round 4 there was zero risks. And yes Dak has had an awesome oline but marginal pass catchers.

Chad Kelly I know zero about did he run a prostyle offense, does he have a quick release? I heard he has learning disabilities. He does run a lot can he not read a d? Injury issues? Too many variables for me to say its a good move to try him out. I know they envisioned him as the 2019 starter. 

But I do respect your opinion Arkna  ^^^ you want a qb but don't wanna see valuable redources in the position.  When it's unknown if we have the situation to organically help their development!

This is why I don't oppose a rookie qb woth just Lynch and Kelly.  Best case said rookie gets to sit the season. He can get better and if Lynch or Kelly succeed they have high trade value. 

Worst case they suck or get injured and the rookie qb gets thrown into the fire and he sucks.

44 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

But I do respect your opinion Arkna  ^^^ you want a qb but don't wanna see valuable redources in the position.  When it's unknown if we have the situation to organically help their development!

This is why I don't oppose a rookie qb woth just Lynch and Kelly.  Best case said rookie gets to sit the season. He can get better and if Lynch or Kelly succeed they have high trade value. 

Worst case they suck or get injured and the rookie qb gets thrown into the fire and he sucks.

So, give Lynch his shot. Many on this forum wanted that last year. He wasn't ready.

Now, give him 16 games with better OL and skill guys and see what happens. If he craps out, go after Foles in FA.

22 minutes ago, champ11 said:

Very risky, but he could be sick in their offense. Def scared 

Given what KC needed to do though - I'm not.    That team needed to get better on D - not upgrade O.    Watkins could pan out - but KC really committed a significant part of their cap to O instead of D.   Puzzling to say the least, esp. after trading Peters.

LAC should be licking their chops right now.  

Saw a tweet from Klis that we would be active today both FA wise (talking to agents) and the potential trade market.

I could see us pursuing Ja'Wuan James and someone like Sheldon Richardson or Dontari Poe. Could also see Chris Hubbard or Austin Howard from Baltimore who did not have his option picked up.

26 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Given what KC needed to do though - I'm not.    That team needed to get better on D - not upgrade O.    Watkins could pan out - but KC really committed a significant part of their cap to O instead of D.   Puzzling to say the least, esp. after trading Peters.

LAC should be licking their chops right now.  

Not in the slightest they are paying Kelce, Hunt, Hill, mahomes 15 mill combined.  They had money to burn. Also signed hitchens. Brought in 2 cbs. 

Their cupboard isn't bare.

13 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Not in the slightest they are paying Kelce, Hunt, Hill, mahomes 15 mill combined.  They had money to burn. Also signed hitchens. Brought in 2 cbs. 

Their cupboard isn't bare.

They had 25M in cap space - before they brought in Watkins.  They will have less than 15M after the Watkins signing,  even if it's a big bonus.   They need ILB, EDGE, and they need a shutdown CB - WAS's CB is a great slot CB.    With less than 15M of cap space - they move to 25th out 32 teams - remember, it's not how much you have, it's how much you have relative to other teams.   And then you factor what they need - EDGE, and shutdown CB - those aren't bargain spots.   They will cost $$.  Which KC doesn't have.  

And remember - their biggest cheap asset that can help without costing $ - a 1st round pick - is gone.   KC did well to get out of cap hell - but they decided to invest a huge part of their offseason cap to Watkins.   When D was their crying, crying need.  

They are working their way out of cap hell, Mahomes really helps that way - but Watkins sure as hell doesn't.

P.S.  The reason they are in cap hell - GM John Dorsey put them there.  The same Dorsey that is now in CLE.  While he gets 100M to work with, he's burning through that in a hurry.   There's a lesson there...and fortunately for us, Elway never takes that page.    For all the flaws we've seen of late, Elway's refusal to commit us to future cap hell is one I'll always applaud.

Archived