2018 Free Agency Discussion Thread

AnAngryAmerican

25 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

So Nate Solder to the Giants. So much for improving the o-line. I guess they're happy with the meathead penalty machine at LT and another journeyman RT.

Can someone explain to me why trading Aquib Talib was necessary? We had to the money to sign Kyle Orton Case Keenum before clearing Aquib's $12m cap number. I guess without Talib we can run Joe Wood's preferred soft zone rather than the press man the helped us win a Super Bowl. 

While I'm with you on most things this offseason so far, no way I would've wanted to pay what NYG did to get Solder.  Highest paid tackle in football.

32 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

So Nate Solder to the Giants. So much for improving the o-line. I guess they're happy with the meathead penalty machine at LT and another journeyman RT.

Can someone explain to me why trading Aquib Talib was necessary? We had to the money to sign Kyle Orton Case Keenum before clearing Aquib's $12m cap number. I guess without Talib we can run Joe Wood's preferred soft zone rather than the press man the helped us win a Super Bowl. 

I find the Joe Woods comment funny considering everyone was complaining about the zone coverage in 2015-2016 under Wade. Of all the people you can give heat, Woods is an interesting choice. No one is safe

I didn't see the details on Solder's contract until just now, $35m guaranteed. That's awfully rich and they probably over-paid. 

I think it's safe to say the Giants are in win-now mode, expect them to take Barkley at No. 2 overall, which all but assured with Cleveland signing Carlos Hyde. 

1 hour ago, The Helicopter said:

It's hard to speculate on what if positives when other organizations have risen from the ashes and we're struggling to be relevant in the worst division in football. IMO, we haven't hit bottom. Keenum...bwhahahaha

Worst division? Not even close. Do you know about the afc east?

41 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I didn't see the details on Solder's contract until just now, $35m guaranteed. That's awfully rich and they probably over-paid. 

I think it's safe to say the Giants are in win-now mode, expect them to take Barkley at No. 2 overall, which all but assured with Cleveland signing Carlos Hyde. 

If Barkley falls to the Broncos...I would freak the f***ck out...they'd take him.  That is if the Giants get someone like Nelson instead. 

8 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

If Barkley falls to the Broncos...I would freak the f***ck out...they'd take him.  That is if the Giants get someone like Nelson instead. 

I think Barkley falling to us is very possible and us passing is very possible 

51 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I'm not totally sure. This probably helps, but there's whispers of them being interested in Nelson at 2 as they move to build a more cohesive OL unit.

Just now, champ11 said:

I think Barkley falling to us is very possible and us passing is very possible 

I would probably possibly kick my TV over if the Broncos passed him up.  The only neutral draft pick would be Nelson...that isn't a yayyyyy! pick.  But I think we would all be okay with that...I get it..it would be wise and conservative at the same time.  However, if they passed up Barkely for Mayfield....my TV is going down.

Renck posted an article today about free agency with some updated tidbits:

RT- could look towards Cameron Fleming (an interesting choice)

CB- TJ Carrie still the preferred CB, but others on the list

TE- team is looking at Eifert and Celek. I would LOVE Eifert on a 1-year deal. He needs to re-establsh himself one way or another. Would be excellent to pair with Jake Butt

We’ve signed CB Tramaine Brock for one year $4m. Solid Nickle guy behind Harris Jr and Roby. Obviously the coaches will want Langley to develop and beat him out but Brock is your veteran insurance. Wouldn’t surprise me if we draft one in the mid rounds as well. 

And just as I post that, looks like we have a 1-year $4MM deal with Tramaine Brock. I don't hate this deal. He was a pretty solid piece on the Niners D a few years ago. Good in run support. For a 3rd CB on a 1-year deal, you could do a LOT worse. This still keeps CB firmly on the radar for the draft.

13 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

Renck posted an article today about free agency with some updated tidbits:

RT- could look towards Cameron Fleming (an interesting choice)

CB- TJ Carrie still the preferred CB, but others on the list

TE- team is looking at Eifert and Celek. I would LOVE Eifert on a 1-year deal. He needs to re-establsh himself one way or another. Would be excellent to pair with Jake Butt

Fleming would be a good option for me. I mocked La’Adrian Waddle to us and basically said we should sign whichever of their two RTs the Patriots don’t bring back. Fleming is a better player than Waddle so I assumed NE would retain him. Patriots could be in trouble if they lose their top 3 OTs. 

1 minute ago, broncos67 said:

And just as I post that, looks like we have a 1-year $4MM deal with Tramaine Brock. I don't hate this deal. He was a pretty solid piece on the Niners D a few years ago. Good in run support. For a 3rd CB on a 1-year deal, you could do a LOT worse. This still keeps CB firmly on the radar for the draft.

Great minds think alike ;) 

Archived