2018 Free Agency Discussion Thread

AnAngryAmerican

1 minute ago, paul-mac said:

Great minds think alike ;) 

True story my friend. Glad they didn't break the bank on 3rd CB. Like you said, I'm certain the idea is to develop Langley, but I could still see them falling in love with Isaiah Oliver. Plus, you figure now Langley doesn't get forced in, but if he does play and shows well, maybe you don't keep Roby? Next year promises to be as interesting as this year considering all of the expiring contracts. And we don't even know Keenum's outlook yet.

Certainly not a game-changing move signing Tramaine Brock but that pretty much seems what this free agency period is going to be. Sigh. 

It's not a bad signing. But, again, I'm still trying to figure out why we had to move on from Talib if we weren't going to spend the $12m we saved shipping him to La-La Land. 

2 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Certainly not a game-changing move signing Tramaine Brock but that pretty much seems what this free agency period is going to be. Sigh. 

It's not a bad signing. But, again, I'm still trying to figure out why we had to move on from Talib if we weren't going to spend the $12m we saved shipping him to La-La Land. 

I mean, I'm not sure what else you expected. We have too many holes and are way too FA heavy on our cap. We're not going to go spend big money on long-term contracts mostly because it wouldn't make sense to do so. I think the primary reason we moved from Talib is two-fold- 1. he sort of quit on the team and 2. the team thinks Roby is ready and we can get a few contributors for the price of Talib. The ultimate reality is that we're not going to be a true contender this year. Maybe a contender for the WC spot, I can see that, but likely not a SB contender. If that's the case, we should be clearing veteran contracts and repositioning the team. Sending Talib to the Rams (by the way, a place he preferred, which always gets you good cred around the league) while still maintaining a 3 CB lineup and not tying cap up into the 2019 league year is a good thing. Denver has a very bad cap situation which is Elway's doing, and unfortunately there's going to be tough decisions to reverse it. Next year, those decisions will undoubtedly be on the offensive side of the ball at WR.

5 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

We spent that money on Case Keenum. His cap hit hasn’t been confirmed yet but if it’s $18m for him and $4m for Tramaine Brock then we would only have $5m left which is needed to sign rookies, so any further free agent signings will need to be on a “one in, one out” policy. I think Menelik Watson and his $4.5m will be cut to make way for another RT, and if we do get Eifert or Celek that probably means the end of CJ Anderson. 

1 minute ago, paul-mac said:

We spent that money on Case Keenum. His cap hit hasn’t been confirmed yet but if it’s $18m for him and $4m for Tramaine Brock then we would only have $5m left which is needed to sign rookies, so any further free agent signings will need to be on a “one in, one out” policy. I think Menelik Watson and his $4.5m will be cut to make way for another RT, and if we do get Eifert or Celek that probably means the end of CJ Anderson. 

Looks like a great move trading a HOF CB so we could free up money to sign a mediocre, weak-armed, under-sized QB who has had one good year on a stacked team that played 11 of their 18 games in a dome. 

Looks like a great move trading a HOF CB so we could free up money to sign a mediocre, weak-armed, under-sized QB who has had one good year on a stacked team that played 11 of their 18 games in a dome. 

There’s more to it than that. Bradley Roby is on his 5th year option this year instead of his rookie contract which means a raise from $2.2m to $8.5m. You aren’t paying $8.5m to a 3rd QB in addition to $9m for Harris and $11m for Talib. You can’t tie up that much money in CBs, so the choice Elway had to make was between another 1-2 years of Aqib Talib, or potentially another 6-7 years of Bradley Roby, and Elway smartly chose to pay the ascending player.

Better to move on too soon than too late. To add on to what Ben said, I don't think Talib would have had a good time running it back with a rookie QB or a stop-gap, do you? Thelocker room needed a shift after the debacle last year. Talib getting moved for value was the obvious choice. He would have had to be gone next offseason, when they pay Roby....who they need to see in a full starting corner role before they pay him starters money. It sucks to lose Talib, but it seems like it was an obvious choice to me. It was necessary for both parties involved, really. 

2 minutes ago, BaldyBronco said:

It looks like this was dismissed, but it is a little scary

He was cleared and in this day and age that’s saying something.   Need to see his 2017 tape but he was a good CB (not great) in 2016.  If the price is right this definitely fits our 3rd CB need.   Kind of have to hit bargains given our cap situation. 

3 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

He was cleared and in this day and age that’s saying something.   Need to see his 2017 tape but he was a good CB (not great) in 2016.  If the price is right this definitely fits our 3rd CB need.   Kind of have to hit bargains given our cap situation. 

3 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Its looks like 1 year 4 Million

2 minutes ago, BaldyBronco said:

The Honey Badger just hit the street?

He'll cost way too much $, and post-injury he's not the same.   Easy pass there, even before you get to the fact safety is the one position we don't need to address for a while (and I'm a huuuuge BPA proponent because almost every position needs to be addressed in the next 2-3 years).

Archived