2018 Free Agency Discussion Thread

AnAngryAmerican

5 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

They had 25M in cap space - before they brought in Watkins.  They will have less than 15M after the Watkins signing,  even if it's a big bonus.   They need ILB, EDGE, and they need a shutdown CB - WAS's CB is a great slot CB.    With less than 15M of cap space - they move to 25th out 32 teams - remember, it's not how much you have, it's how much you have relative to other teams.   And then you factor what they need - EDGE, and shutdown CB - those aren't bargain spots.   They will cost $$.  Which KC doesn't have.  

And remember - their biggest cheap asset that can help without costing $ - a 1st round pick - is gone.   KC did well to get out of cap hell - but they decided to invest a huge part of their offseason cap to Watkins.   When D was their crying, crying need.  

They are working their way out of cap hell, Mahomes really helps that way - but Watkins sure as hell doesn't.

P.S.  The reason they are in cap hell - GM John Dorsey put them there.  The same Dorsey that is now in CLE.  While he gets 100M to work with, he's burning through that in a hurry.   There's a lesson there...and fortunately for us, Elway never takes that page.    For all the flaws we've seen of late, Elway's refusal to commit us to future cap hell is one I'll always applaud.

They got  hirchens from dallas for 9 mill a year, and watkins for 15mill. According to your numbers they're close to there. Also Amerson is an underrated signing. 

I don't  think you need a shutdown corner it's a nice piece. 

9 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

They got  hirchens from dallas for 9 mill a year, and watkins for 15mill. According to your numbers they're close to there. Also Amerson is an underrated signing. 

I don't  think you need a shutdown corner it's a nice piece. 

The best D's have a shutdown CB.   It makes the D's job so much easier. 

And remember, that's just one piece - they had one of the worst LB corps, and they had no pass rush, and Justin Houston is aging quickly.   Dee Ford is coming off injury.   They need an EDGE badly - because no shutdown CB AND no big pass rush?  Forget about it.   Then add in bad LB play - man, that's a killer.   Hitchens helps for sure - and maybe LB Ragland helps.  Problem is, FA is their only real way of getting 2018 help they can count on - because of the trades, most of the picks they take are 2019+ helpers, given where they need it (RB, interior OL being the easiest to get year 1 later-round immediate contributors).

Make no mistake, KC could finish well ahead of us, and they are a better team talent-wise than we are right now for sure - but to be a true contender, they needed to address D badly.   LAC is such a clear favorite right now.   

Now, if we need to find bargains with the Keenum signing, with CHI signing Allen Robinson and Trey Burton - they've likely committed big $ to both.   The Bears also applied the transition tag to CB Fuller, so they will likely match any offer - likely going to be significant $.

As such, I mentioned it earlier, but Elway should really look to Cam Meredith for our 3rd WR / possible future replacement for DT or Sanders in 2019+,  as he's only signed to an original round 2M/1 year RFA tender.   CHI still has the $ to match any offer - will they have the resolve given their cash outlay to ARob/Burton?  That's a bigger Q.     Since Meredith is a UDFA, we give up nothing if CHI decides not to match our offer.

On a similar note, no reason not to double up and make an offer to RFA CB Bryce Callahan.  He's more for the slot, but that's exactly what we will be looking for anyways.  Again, on the Bears, and again, signed to an original round tender - so no picks lost.    Same deal as with Meredith - test CHI's resolve with an offer that's friendly to us, but significantly more than 2M/1-year. 

We'll need to find bargains, and I have no doubt other teams will kick the tires - we should be one of those teams, regardless.  Young, cheap, high-ceiling guys who are on original-round tenders are a big opp to test the other team's resolve, and not pay the big $ for the impact, top-name guys (like MIA did with us and CJ in 2016).   We need signings like these to hit for us to get back to playoff relevance and long-term roster health.  

17 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Now, if we need to find bargains with the Keenum signing, with CHI signing Allen Robinson and Trey Burton - they've likely committed big $ to both.   The Bears also applied the transition tag to CB Fuller, so they will likely match any offer - likely going to be significant $.

As such, I mentioned it earlier, but Elway should really look to Cam Meredith for our 3rd WR / possible future replacement for DT or Sanders in 2019+,  as he's only signed to an original round 2M/1 year RFA tender.   CHI still has the $ to match any offer - will they have the resolve given their cash outlay to ARob/Burton?  That's a bigger Q.     Since Meredith is a UDFA, we give up nothing if CHI decides not to match our offer.

On a similar note, no reason not to double up and make an offer to RFA CB Bryce Callahan.  He's more for the slot, but that's exactly what we will be looking for anyways.  Again, on the Bears, and again, signed to an original round tender - so no picks lost.    Same deal as with Meredith - test CHI's resolve with an offer that's friendly to us, but significantly more than 2M/1-year. 

We'll need to find bargains, and I have no doubt other teams will kick the tires - we should be one of those teams, regardless.  Young, cheap, high-ceiling guys who are on original-round tenders are a big opp to test the other team's resolve, and not pay the big $ for the impact, top-name guys (like MIA did with us and CJ in 2016).   We need signings like these to hit for us to get back to playoff relevance and long-term roster health.  

I also like Moncrief in that 3rd WR spot.  Really interested in both Callahan and Meredith though.  Good thing  today isn't a busy day for me:D

3 minutes ago, broncofan48 said:

I also like Moncrief in that 3rd WR spot.  Really interested in both Callahan and Meredith though.  Good thing  today isn't a busy day for me:D

Yeah, Moncrief is there too in my interest list - but he's going to have a high-round pick pedigree, and Meredith being away from the league for a year with ACL recovery, probably is less in the limelight.   Give me either no problem, but I think Moncrief's demand will be sky-high.  He's just so young, 24 IIRC.

10 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Yeah, Moncrief is there too in my interest list - but he's going to have a high-round pick pedigree, and Meredith being away from the league for a year with ACL recovery, probably is less in the limelight.   Give me either no problem, but I think Moncrief's demand will be sky-high.  He's just so young, 24 IIRC.

I agree but that's why I like him.  Super athletic and honestly hasn't played much with good QB play.   He could be what Latimer never was

2 minutes ago, broncofan48 said:

I agree but that's why I like him.  Super athletic and honestly hasn't played much with good QB play.   He could be what Latimer never was

Don't get me wrong, I'd be delighted to get Moncrief.  But with our money spent, we're likely no better than 22nd - 24th in money left to spend.   That means Moncrief can't get a crazy-good offer from another team that thinks like you do.  The chances that a team loves him too and is willing to beat us is higher than say with Meredith.  That's all I'm saying.

Well, now that we've traded our All Pro CB and used 150% of the money saved there on future hall of famer Case Keenum, where do we go from here?

Nate Solder? I don't know if we can afford him now. Anyone out there of any consequence that we could sign? I suppose we bring Jessie Eric Decker back. That would be a move the female portion of the fan base would love. 

18 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Can't believe Paul Richardon got 4 years  40 mill will washington ever learn?

5 years 40M 20M guaranteed.  It’s not actually awful - because the FA market is that pricey.  Albert Wilson got 4/32M.   Richardson is the 3rd WR on this FA market.  Frankly I’d rather go 8M AAV on him than Watkins 16M AAV.  

Bigger problem for WAS is Alex Smith’s aversion to risk taking P-Rich is a guy you take a risk on deep balls and 50-50 balls. 

I expect Moncrief will get similar #’s.  It’s why our cap situation doesn’t offer a lot of FA upgrades.  Also why a Meredith type target is more realistic imo with our cap situation.  

2 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Well, now that we've traded our All Pro CB and used 150% of the money saved there on future hall of famer Case Keenum, where do we go from here?

Nate Solder? I don't know if we can afford him now. Anyone out there of any consequence that we could sign? I suppose we bring Jessie Eric Decker back. That would be a move the female portion of the fan base would love. 

If we bring Decker back I’m going to flip my lid. It was at least palatable to have him and his wife embarrass our franchise when he was a half decent WR, but he hasn’t been one of them for years.

Archived