2018 Free Agency Discussion Thread

AnAngryAmerican

4 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I don't get Josh Sitton he's high quality on pff. But the bears and packers got rid of him.

Because they found cheaper replacements.  And usually without premium picks either.  Our failure to succeed in drafting OL is a huge outlier.

I don’t think we should spend the $ there I’d rather go get James but Sitton is a good player.   

3 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Because they found cheaper replacements.  And usually without premium picks either.  Our failure to succeed in drafting OL is a huge outlier.

I don’t think we should spend the $ there I’d rather go get James but Sitton is a good player.   

You eventually have to build through the draft enough band aids. Go young with James and Billy Price.

6 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

With Suh being released does that take us out of the running for James.

Tannebaum is literally one guy you can’t apply rational thinking to.  He traded Landry and cut Suh to clear space which clearly is needed.   But then he acquired Quinn at 10M+ AAV and only 2 years left.  You don’t do all 3 moves together if you have a clear direction.   Cutting Suh especially hurts their win now chances as there is literally no one who replaces him (unless they draft Vea at 1.11).  So...who knows.  

23 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Tannebaum is literally one guy you can’t apply rational thinking to.  He traded Landry and cut Suh to clear space which clearly is needed.   But then he acquired Quinn at 10M+ AAV and only 2 years left.  You don’t do all 3 moves together if you have a clear direction.   Cutting Suh especially hurts their win now chances as there is literally no one who replaces him (unless they draft Vea at 1.11).  So...who knows.  

Reports are that Miami is still shopping James

3 minutes ago, broncofan48 said:

Reports are that Miami is still shopping James

Color me completely unsurprised.   Making Suh a post June 1 cut allows them to keep James.  Getting Quinn would seem like they want to still try to win now.   Getting rid of Landry was necessary esp given they invested heavily in other WR with $/draft capital.   James they have no decent in house replacement for so getting Quinn it’s serms keeping James would be the smart call. 

But it’s Tannebaum.   

In the same vein as a Moncrief type signing - CHI made the curious decision to only offer Cameron Meredith to an original round tender of 1.9M this year.   If we are looking for a value type 3rd WR, and a long-term potential candidate to replace DT/Sanders after we say goodbye, extending an offer to him would make a ton of sense.   CHI has a ton of cap space, but it costs us nothing to offer...and comes with no picks if CHI decides to pass (like Elway's decision with CJ Anderson in 2016 and what MIA did).   Always good to have more options.

37 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

In the same vein as a Moncrief type signing - CHI made the curious decision to only offer Cameron Meredith to an original round tender of 1.9M this year.   If we are looking for a value type 3rd WR, and a long-term potential candidate to replace DT/Sanders after we say goodbye, extending an offer to him would make a ton of sense.   CHI has a ton of cap space, but it costs us nothing to offer...and comes with no picks if CHI decides to pass (like Elway's decision with CJ Anderson in 2016 and what MIA did).   Always good to have more options.

Agreed. I like Meredith a lot. He's a valuable piece to have, and I wouldn't mind him here one bit.

If the Nate Solder buzz is true, consider me VERY interested. We could kick Bolles over to RT, get a top LT, and have the makings of a solid OL. The $$$ he will command is likely quite high, so I would think QB in FA is a (?) if that's the case.

BTW if going after James/Solder means we stick with a rookie QB at 1.5, then I'm going to take the lesser of 2 evils and switch my answer to yes on Solder (or James).

I don't like Solder at all for the value he'll present...but if it prevents Elway from making a horrible mistake in locking up Keenum to a multi-year deal and not even consider taking QB at 1.5....team Solder (or James, better IMO) it is.

OK well there's this...

4 immediate thoughts come to mind:

1. OK, let's move to trade for Juwan James at RT as plan B.

2. Too expensive for what exactly?  God I hope it's not Case Keenum and no consideration for rookie QB at 1.5

3.  God I hope it's not Case Keenum and no consideration for rookie QB at 1.5

4. See thought #3.

16 minutes ago, champ11 said:

Good call on Meredith. Nicki tweeted that we just hired the Bears WR coach and that is a connection. 

Awesome, nice job with that find.   We'll need it, because CHI has a lot of dead presidents in their corner - 63M in cap space (although a good chunk is going to get a top flight WR they're going hard after Allen Robinson - along with about 3-4 other teams already).    Only hope we get him is the doubts on his ACL recovery make them pause...or they get 2 WR's in FA they are happier with.   Otherwise, we are really outgunned $ wise, and we can't really go nuts on him, given the risk and our cap situation. But anything that gives more options in the young high-upside WR market is a good thing.

I might in the minority, but I like the AJ McCarron backup plan better than Keenum.  I thought AJ showed well in the year that we won the Super Bowl.  His play almost got him a win against the Broncos during that year, and it almost won the Bengals a playoff game, I mean it took the miracles that it did for the Steelers to eek out that win.  I think signing AJ would be about the same as Bridgewater...you see if you got something there, if not, he plays till the rookie QB drafted is ready. 

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/12/report-mccarron-could-be-broncos-backup-plan-if-they-cant-land-cousins/

Bills traded for Cordy Glenn. This is particularly interesting because now they have the 12th pick in the draft to go along with 22. Wonder how much that sweetens the pot for a potential move back for us (hypothetically). I actually like it better for that reason.

Archived