2018 Free Agency Discussion Thread

AnAngryAmerican

3 minutes ago, elliot878 said:

I actually think we end up with Keenum/Bradford/Bridgwater/McCarron.  I've said it all along, I don't think we have a shot at Cousins - we don't have the money that's worth it to come here and continue playing through a rebuild, and we're not close enough to competing for him to be enticed.  Maybe Elway gets him in a room and hypnotizes him, but I'm not holding my breath for Cousins.  

If I were still a betting man, I'd bet on the Broncos following the Bears model from last year.  A Glennon type deal for Keenum/Bradford/Bridgewater/McCarron, draft a first round QB, pray.

Not the sexiest scenario, but what I believe is most likely.

The issue with Keenum is that the beat reporters have indicated if we get him, he commands a multi-year deal and Elway does NOT consider a rookie QB at 1.5, no matter how the board falls.    In other words, going with Keenum means that's our short and long-term solution.  That is a complete no-go in my (and many others') books. It's pretty clear Keenum seems to be the highest viewed FA QB after Cousins, so the reasoning that he's not going to take a bridge deal is sound.  

I agree that if we are going rookie QB at 1.5...then we are getting one other 3 guys you listed, or even McCown.   

45 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

You mean other teams or players saved Elway from himself.   Those examples don't shed Elway in a better light lol.

How Kap for a 3rd rounder was a steal and 7 mill a year. Thats a higher end backup.  Bradford for a 3rd although he would of got killed behind our oline who knows.  We'd have our first round pick and other 3. And bradford top 10 qb when healthy.

Some twitter speculation that someone might be preparing to offer a sheet to Shaq Barrett. I’m a bit torn about whether the Broncos should match that sheet or not. On one hand I think Shaq is a better player than Shane Ray at this point and if we had to choose one to give a big contract to be be our long term OLB starter opposite Miller, I’d choose Shaq Barrett. On the other hand I’m not sure we can afford to give him a big raise this offseason and an extra 2nd round pick could help us greatly. 

4 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

Some twitter speculation that someone might be preparing to offer a sheet to Shaq Barrett. I’m a bit torn about whether the Broncos should match that sheet or not. On one hand I think Shaq is a better player than Shane Ray at this point and if we had to choose one to give a big contract to be be our long term OLB starter opposite Miller, I’d choose Shaq Barrett. On the other hand I’m not sure we can afford to give him a big raise this offseason and an extra 2nd round pick could help us greatly. 

Oh I hope someone signs that sheet and gives Denver a 2nd.  Barrett isn’t anything special.  Better than Ray, sure, but Barrett doesn’t get after the QB.  Plays the run quite well though.

3 minutes ago, germ-x said:

Oh I hope someone signs that sheet and gives Denver a 2nd.  Barrett isn’t anything special.  Better than Ray, sure, but Barrett doesn’t get after the QB.  Plays the run quite well though.

I think I’m inclined to agree. I don’t necessarily think any given second round pick would be a better player than Shaq Barrett, but having decently talented players on rookie contracts is such a good economy in the salary cap league. I kinda figure Shaq Barrett is the exact kinda player that the Patriots would be trading away rather than give a long contract to. 

19 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

12 minutes ago, germ-x said:

7 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

I think I’m inclined to agree. I don’t necessarily think any given second round pick would be a better player than Shaq Barrett, but having decently talented players on rookie contracts is such a good economy in the salary cap league. I kinda figure Shaq Barrett is the exact kinda player that the Patriots would be trading away rather than give a long contract to. 

Agree if the offer is iffy to keep him you let him walk.  Multiple years by itself probably eliminates him as we would have let him test the market.  EDGE guys are so valuable though it was a no brainer to extend the 2nd round tender.   3M to keep him this season is a no brainer.  Getting a 2nd rounder is great too. 

It’s a win win scenario over the original round tender where we have to choose to retain at a salary we don’t like or get nothing for him.  At least Elway learned his lesson here after CJ.

I think if we could get two seconds, and two thirds in this class would be huge. I mean if this team is a puzzle this draft can supply 70% of the pieces.

19 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

Any word on the team?  I’d guess it’s a team that doesn’t value picks like other GM’s do.   Cough Tannebaum Dorsey Mike Brown cough lol. 

1 minute ago, thebestever6 said:

I think if we could get two seconds, and two thirds in this class would be huge. I mean if this team is a puzzle this draft can supply 70% of the pieces.

Two seconds give us an even better chance to draft two more 2nd round busts! 

But yeah if we can get a 2nd for Barrett take that everyday. Like Barrett and he's a very good all around player but he's going to want to get paid sooner or later and getting a 2nd round pick for a UDFA is a pretty good turn around.

Just now, broncosfan07 said:

Two seconds give us an even better chance to draft two more 2nd round busts! 

But yeah if we can get a 2nd for Barrett take that everyday. Like Barrett and he's a very good all around player but he's going to want to get paid sooner or later and getting a 2nd round pick for a UDFA is a pretty good turn around.

That can happen in any round I like Elway don't mind swinging and missing. Two chances are better than 1. He just has to bat .300 not 1,000.

1 minute ago, broncosfan07 said:

True but Elway bats .100 in the 2nd round and that's only because of Wolfe.

Wolfe

Osweiler

Ball 

Latimer

Sambrailo

Gotsis

Walker

Jury still out on the last two, but blimey that’s an awful track record. Maybe we should trade 2 second rounders for a late 1st just to avoid having to pick in the 2nd round. 

Wolfe

Osweiler

Ball 

Latimer

Sambrailo

Gotsis

Walker

Jury still out on the last two, but blimey that’s an awful track record. Maybe we should trade 2 second rounders for a late 1st just to avoid having to pick in the 2nd round. 

Will Hernandez dilly dilly!!

9 minutes ago, broncosfan07 said:

True but Elway bats .100 in the 2nd round and that's only because of Wolfe.

And Wolfe is much more like a 1st as we traded out of 1st because Elway realized the draft board didn’t value him late Rd1.  

Oh those halcyon days.

Archived