2018 Free Agency Discussion Thread

AnAngryAmerican

22 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Do you think its just leverage to show Cousins we have options?

No, because Denver isn't the best landing spot for Cousins. Minnesota is the obvious best choice for him. They can comfortably offer more money and have a better roster. I think it's more floating his name to see how the fanbase and football world responds, to be honest.

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

I knew it was a fit that made all the sense in the world. Too bad Talib has no interest in playing for us. 

Frankly, I don't know that Elway should consider what Talib's feelings on SF are (nor Lynch).   He's under contract, he can't veto it.   If he holds out, the 49ers just let his contract toll to 2019.   

Now, if the 49ers weren't interested in the asking price, totally different story.  But in these types of situations, it's almost always talk from the player - because they have zero leverage.

14 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Frankly, I don't know that Elway should consider what Talib's feelings on SF are (nor Lynch).   He's under contract, he can't veto it.   If he holds out, the 49ers just let his contract toll to 2019.   

Now, if the 49ers weren't interested in the asking price, totally different story.  But in these types of situations, it's almost always talk from the player - because they have zero leverage.

If it’s the 49ers bidding against themselves and Elway definitely doesn’t want to pay Talib $11m then we’re still better off trading him to SF for something ridiculous like a conditional 2019 7th round pick that voids unless they win the Super Bowl, than outright cutting him and seeing him go that vermin Bill Belichick. 

Just now, paul-mac said:

If it’s the 49ers bidding against themselves and Elway definitely doesn’t want to pay Talib $11m then we’re still better off trading him to SF for something ridiculous like a conditional 2019 7th round pick that voids unless they win the Super Bowl, than outright cutting him and seeing him go that vermin Bill Belichick. 

Agree 100 percent.   Look at the guys getting traded, Michael Bennett at 7.2M for a 5th round pick, LB Alec Ogletree at 10M AAV for a 4th and a 6th - those who kept thinking Talib would net a high pick were just out of touch with the reality of cap management these days.   We'd be lucky to get any pick, given everyone knows we are looking to shed payroll, and the risk that Talib presents at his age (hasn't happened yet, but when it happens, it happens fast).

3 hours ago, paul-mac said:

We accept. Let me try to get a hold of Lynch to have him send the paperwork in. 

2 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I think talib is worth a 4th or 5th rounder. I think he's a perfect guy to move to safety ala Woodson. The trick is his salary which I think hed restructure for a longer extension more guaranteed money.

At 32, no one is going to offer him more guaranteed money.   Again, what Talib wants should be irrelevant to the SF/any other team discussions.  Talib has no leverage.   He holds out, he doesn't get paid, and the team still owns his 2 years left.   It's all posturing (like when Jarvis Landry he wouldn't sign the franchise tag and hold out...and then signed 6 hours later once his agent explained him the lay of the land).  

Talib's contract is exactly why we're not getting great value.  Our only hope is that a team who has no shot at getting him in FA really wants him at 11M AAV.    SF seems to be out.   If CLE isn't going CB early....maybe we can get them in.   But we'll need some sort of competition - if it's one team bidding against themselves...well, we saw how the SF talks have gone so far.

8 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

At 32, no one is going to offer him more guaranteed money.   Again, what Talib wants should be irrelevant to the SF/any other team discussions.  Talib has no leverage.   He holds out, he doesn't get paid, and the team still owns his 2 years left.   It's all posturing (like when Jarvis Landry he wouldn't sign the franchise tag and hold out...and then signed 6 hours later once his agent explained him the lay of the land).  

Talib's contract is exactly why we're not getting great value.  Our only hope is that a team who has no shot at getting him in FA really wants him at 11M AAV.    SF seems to be out.   If CLE isn't going CB early....maybe we can get them in.   But we'll need some sort of competition - if it's one team bidding against themselves...well, we saw how the SF talks have gone so far.

Is it better to wait after the draft post june 1st cut? Or during draft sometimes teams boards aren't failing as planned. 

6 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Is it better to wait after the draft post june 1st cut? Or during draft sometimes teams boards aren't failing as planned. 

The salary isn't guaranteed unless he's on the 53 man roster.   The issue is if you wait until after the draft, it's likely the pool of interested teams is even smaller - because you might have a team who missed out on CB, but the draft had 7 CB's put up sub 4.40 times, and 6/15 fastest 3-cone times happened in this draft.  It's not as deep as last year (which was the deepest CB class in forever, much like RB), but it's plenty deep.   And they're all cheap.  And that's not counting the guys who put up great tape, and other non-straight line skills.   And then one of those teams has to fit in 11M in their budget.  And be willing to pay in draft capital for a 32 year-old CB.  Not a great combo - why we're having a hard time now.

And finally....we don't get to use that pick until the next season.   We don't likely get to use the 11M saved until 2019, unless we extend some guys (and I'm not sure who's worth committing to from the 2015 draft class for 2019+ onwards, no need to do anyone else sooner).    I mean, people were upset with TJ Ward being released....I can't imagine they will be OK with waiting that long, not using the $, and getting a 2019 pick that's likely not going to be any more than a Day 3 pick.    I understood the Ward release....I'd understand a Talib release or trade for a late-round pick, but if you are clearing salary, better to do it when you can use it to reinvest for value, and also so you can prioritize CB accordingly this year draft-wise, and when the list of buyers is as broad as possible.   

I can see both sides of the keep Talib/don't keep Talib argument. I will say though, Denver needs to get younger across the board. The team is old, the team is also not as talented as the fanbase seems to believe. If we don't land Cousins, I do see an argument for keeping Talib, but at the same time, we should face reality that if we don't land Cousins, we aren't going to contend this year or likely next. Given that, we should clear Talib's contract and try and find younger players for that money, IMO.

5 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

I can see both sides of the keep Talib/don't keep Talib argument. I will say though, Denver needs to get younger across the board. The team is old, the team is also not as talented as the fanbase seems to believe. If we don't land Cousins, I do see an argument for keeping Talib, but at the same time, we should face reality that if we don't land Cousins, we aren't going to contend this year or likely next. Given that, we should clear Talib's contract and try and find younger players for that money, IMO.

I agree or if we go rookie QB save the money for big time free agents and target the last 3 years of the QBs rookie deal for a super bowl push ala Seattle and philly this year 

Archived