2018 Free Agency Discussion Thread

AnAngryAmerican

3 hours ago, broncos67 said:

I would take Bridgewater and then I would draft a QB alongside him. Bridgewater is the highest risk, but also the highest reward. Worst case, you let him walk and get a great comp pick and turn to the younger drafted QB. Keenum played well, but I prefer to look at his overall body of work, and there's certainly questions there. Bradford is a walking injury and I wouldn't trust him to stay healthy.

I like this - highest reward scenario. Why sign a stop gap when we could get more; an envious and lucrative predicament.

13 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Let's say Cousins isn't an option:

Sam Bradford

Case Keenum

Teddy Bridgewater

Who do you take and why? 

None of them. 

Kirk Cousins is Plan A.

If Plan A doesn't work out, I roll the dice on one of the rookies with the No. 5 overall pick and start him from day one. No more this sign a journeyman, draft a rookie, let him develop and start him down the road. We tried that and all it did was cost us two years of our elite defense. 

4 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

None of them. 

Kirk Cousins is Plan A.

If Plan A doesn't work out, I roll the dice on one of the rookies with the No. 5 overall pick and start him from day one. No more this sign a journeyman, draft a rookie, let him develop and start him down the road. We tried that and all it did was cost us two years of our elite defense. 

Its either plan A or start the rookie.

Since I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere, I wanted to point out that Elway squashed some rumors in his combine press conference yesterday, saying that DeMaryius Thomas, Emmanuel Sanders and Derek Wolfe will all return next year. Of those three, the only one I thought had even a chance to be moved was Sanders. 

1 hour ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Since I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere, I wanted to point out that Elway squashed some rumors in his combine press conference yesterday, saying that DeMaryius Thomas, Emmanuel Sanders and Derek Wolfe will all return next year. Of those three, the only one I thought had even a chance to be moved was Sanders. 

Saw this too. Not surprised ultimately on the receivers. They'd have a really hard time selling Cousins on coming if they dumped one or both of these guys. I do think WR is going to be an early pick for us though. Writing is on the wall with both DT and ES- getting up there in age, contract length, etc...

Wolfe I wouldn't have been totally shocked if they moved from, but I think they have nothing to lose seeing how he recovers. If he retires because of the injury, the salary comes off the books. If he comes back healthy, he's still a valuable asset. No lose situation.

From what Elway DIDN'T say- I have a feeling this is the end of: Talib, Anderson, Watson, Davis

I guess why I'm not on the same page with respected members of this forum on the qb situation is because I'm looking at it through Elways eyes and Ellis. 

While Kirk Cousins being signed here would rejuvenate this fan base very quickly I just feel as though Elway knows it would come with absurd expectations.  If Elway was 80% confident of winning a title with manning my guess is he's  at 50% with Cousins. Is the risk worth the reward?

Now if our primary focus was on a qb in the draft then there's something there. There's maybe 3 or 4 guys in the draft that are polarizing, will rejuvenate the fan base, and you can win games with. Are they Championship qbs we can't say yet just like we can't say that about a 29 year old Kirk Cousins.

What you're hearing now from Elway and Vance is them prepping you for the pick. Talking about how rpos are changing the way a prostyle offense will be viewed. How Elway knows  the prostyle offense is changing. 60% of the snaps in todays nfl are out of the shotgun. That's alarming.

He's preparing  us for Baker Mayfield or Lamar Jackson. Two polarizing players with electric traits. Mayfield is mobile and called a gun slinger. I don't get gunslinger considering his low # of ints. Jackson  is the most electric player since Mike Vick. Hes taller with a generational arm. I think we can win with both  and they won't come with title aspirations year one.

All I heard yesterday was Elway was open to everything at qb so we have to look at the little things he says that point to a drafted qb.

3 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

Wolfe I wouldn't have been totally shocked if they moved from, but I think they have nothing to lose seeing how he recovers. If he retires because of the injury, the salary comes off the books. If he comes back healthy, he's still a valuable asset. No lose situation.

Agreed here. I also think Derek Wolfe is the very embodiment of what they want their players to be. He's crucial to the locker room culture. 

I heard a good point about Cousins. If he goes to the Vikings, there will be Super Bowl expectations. If he gets sold on what the Broncos have going on....they are coming off a terrible season. Might be more appealing to not have the ridiculously high expectations, even though of course our fan base is ridiculous....but he might not know that lol.

11 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Agreed here. I also think Derek Wolfe is the very embodiment of what they want their players to be. He's crucial to the locker room culture. 

I mean, he's not exactly a model citizen but I think he's super key to our defense personality wise. At least when we were good 

27 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

What do you mean he's not model citizen? He's never been arrested for anything. 

should have said employee rather than citizen. referring to the illegal substance stuff. i'd assume he's pretty deep into that, but who knows

39 minutes ago, champ11 said:

I heard a good point about Cousins. If he goes to the Vikings, there will be Super Bowl expectations. If he gets sold on what the Broncos have going on....they are coming off a terrible season. Might be more appealing to not have the ridiculously high expectations, even though of course our fan base is ridiculous....but he might not know that lol.

See I think the expectations would ve crazy thanks to PM the fans see 4 division  titles 2 superbowl appearances and a ship and expects that. 

Archived