2018 Free Agency Discussion Thread

AnAngryAmerican

1 minute ago, broncos67 said:

Bills traded for Cordy Glenn. This is particularly interesting because now they have the 12th pick in the draft to go along with 22. Wonder how much that sweetens the pot for a potential move back for us (hypothetically). I actually like it better for that reason.

I think it means they want to at least move past MIA to get a shot at Mayfield.   

I don't think we're moving back unless we go down the Keenum path.  But yes, it clearly makes going back to #12 as in play. 

I think I am going out on a limb, and not sure how the Broncos afford it, but I am going to go with FA pickups of Nate Solder, Ladarious Webb, Suh, Preston Brown, Paul Richardson, and AJ McCarron. I am going first three rounds in the draft of: Josh Allen, Isiah Oliver, Nick Chubb, DJ Moore. 

44 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

I think I am going out on a limb, and not sure how the Broncos afford it, but I am going to go with FA pickups of Nate Solder, Ladarious Webb, Suh, Preston Brown, Paul Richardson, and AJ McCarron. I am going first three rounds in the draft of: Josh Allen, Isiah Oliver, Nick Chubb, DJ Moore. 

I sure wouldn’t complain!

I've seen some rumors of the Broncos wanting to move down. Is this true and why?

Unless they land Cousins, I'm drafting a QB. And I'd draft before signing Cousins (a middle of the road guy) to top tier money.

McCarron? Is he even better than Siemian? Keenum.... are you getting a one year wonder? Can he replicate success without Shurmurs influence?

Everything points to Denver drafting QB. Anything else just seems misguided and I'd question Elway more than I already do. 

2 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I've seen some rumors of the Broncos wanting to move down. Is this true and why?

Unless they land Cousins, I'm drafting a QB. And I'd draft before signing Cousins (a middle of the road guy) to top tier money.

McCarron? Is he even better than Siemian? Keenum.... are you getting a one year wonder? Can he replicate success without Shurmurs influence?

Everything points to Denver drafting QB. Anything else just seems misguided and I'd question Elway more than I already do. 

You’ve just summed up the discussion around here of the last three months. 

I actually wouldn’t mind signing Cousins as I believe he is better than “middle of the road” but the cost is extreme and forces us to have a couple Saints 2017-like drafts to make it work. 

Keenum, McCarron, Taylor (before he was traded), et al are all bad ideas. If we don’t get Cousins then we need to get one of Darnold, Rosen or Allen in the draft, even if it means trading up. 

However, if they sign Keenum I would prefer to trade down. Keenum is going to demand a longish term contract and some job security, so trade down and surround him with as much cheap talent as you can.  But signing Keenum and drafting a QB at No. 5 would be a horrible decision. 

I have ZERO idea what GM Ryan Pace is thinking in CHI.

Remember that Meredith original tender decision?  Well, they did the same for Bryce Callahan.  A young, cheap, and very capable....CB.

Elway should be kicking the tires there too.  Each time, to save 1M.   And unlike Meredith, no injury recovery risk.   Man, this is going to cost CHI to match (and as much as you want to avoid competing against yourself in extending a young player, a good young CB....letting the market dictate the price....be careful what you wish for).

18 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I agree but do you really wanna put said rookie qb in a bad situation? It's the chicken and the egg. Line play is just as vital as qb play if you look at recent history. Packers let go of Sitton what happened to Rodgers?

10 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

You’ve just summed up the discussion around here of the last three months. 

I actually wouldn’t mind signing Cousins as I believe he is better than “middle of the road” but the cost is extreme and forces us to have a couple Saints 2017-like drafts to make it work. 

Keenum, McCarron, Taylor (before he was traded), et al are all bad ideas. If we don’t get Cousins then we need to get one of Darnold, Rosen or Allen in the draft, even if it means trading up. 

However, if they sign Keenum I would prefer to trade down. Keenum is going to demand a longish term contract and some job security, so trade down and surround him with as much cheap talent as you can.  But signing Keenum and drafting a QB at No. 5 would be a horrible decision. 

I see no value in signing Keenum when you have the #5 pick. Unless you think Lynch just needs more time (he doesn't). Denver needs to get serious IMO about their QB. Keenum feels like more of the same to me. Journey man with 1 year of decent starting play. I'm not signing him to any sort of lengthy contract. Just my opinion.

3 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I agree but do you really wanna put said rookie qb in a bad situation? It's the chicken and the egg. Line play is just as vital as qb play if you look at recent history. Packers let go of Sitton what happened to Rodgers?

I agree. But putting Keenum or another average stopgap back their doesn't seem wise either. 

4 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I agree. But putting Keenum or another average stopgap back their doesn't seem wise either. 

Exactly. The idea that you shouldn't draft a young QB unless the team is already stacked is ridiculous. How often does that situation actually happen? It's rare. Broncos fans need to be more realistic about this team and it's capabilities. It's going to be a multi-year rebuild, but as we saw with the Eagles and Rams, the right QB with some wise additions can inject life into a team VERY quickly.

32 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

27 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

Exactly. The idea that you shouldn't draft a young QB unless the team is already stacked is ridiculous. How often does that situation actually happen? It's rare. Broncos fans need to be more realistic about this team and it's capabilities. It's going to be a multi-year rebuild, but as we saw with the Eagles and Rams, the right QB with some wise additions can inject life into a team VERY quickly.

Absolutely.   We've got to stop thinking like we're 1 guy away from fixing this mess.   We're not.   Even if we hit on our QB, we're still several guys away.  Now if we hit on QB - it makes the job a lot easier.   But if we hit on a QB at 20M, it makes finding those guys a lot easier.  And Keenum isn't even close to a lock to be a league-average QB in our situation.   He had the absolute best-case scenario and acquitted himself well - but he also showed tons of flaws in big-time situations (not just NFCG, the NO game he let the Saints back in with a couple of horrible decisions and bad throws in the 4Q, and in the WAS game he started the whole Bridgewater-back-in controversy by literally trying to throw that game away).   Again, this is not a guy I want to pay 15-20M on a 1-year deal - the cheaper stopgaps help us address other needs.  As a multi-year solution that prevents us from even considering a rookie QB at 1.5?   OMG just stop.  Full stop, easy pass.

6 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Absolutely.   We've got to stop thinking like we're 1 guy away from fixing this mess.   We're not.   Even if we hit on our QB, we're still several guys away.  Now if we hit on QB - it makes the job a lot easier.   But if we hit on a QB at 20M, it makes finding those guys a lot easier.  And Keenum isn't even close to a lock to be a league-average QB in our situation.   He had the absolute best-case scenario and acquitted himself well - but he also showed tons of flaws in big-time situations (not just NFCG, the NO game he let the Saints back in with a couple of horrible decisions and bad throws in the 4Q, and in the WAS game he started the whole Bridgewater-back-in controversy by literally trying to throw that game away).   Again, this is not a guy I want to pay 15-20M on a 1-year deal - the cheaper stopgaps help us address other needs.  As a multi-year solution that prevents us from even considering a rookie QB at 1.5?   OMG just stop.  Full stop, easy pass.

Yea but us being in on keenum can put pressure to a team like Arizona to commit, or the Jets. Lots of teams still need qbs. Chatter about a guy means very little at this point.

I think ever since 2015 after the superbowl and trading up to get lynch. I think we know by now to know that getting a qb is on Elways terms. As smart as Minnesota is drafting they gave a first and a 4th for Sam Injured. Elway called to inquire and offered a 3rd not bad. Than lets  look at Colin k elway offered a 3rd and retructure and Kap balked for 7 mill. So elway has made some good decisions regarding qb.

1 minute ago, thebestever6 said:

Yea but us being in on keenum can put pressure to a team like Arizona to commit, or the Jets. Lots of teams still need qbs. Chatter about a guy means very little at this point.

I think ever since 2015 after the superbowl and trading up to get lynch. I think we know by now to know that getting a qb is on Elways terms. As smart as Minnesota is drafting they gave a first and a 4th for Sam Injured. Elway called to inquire and offered a 3rd not bad. Than lets  look at Colin k elway offered a 3rd and retructure and Kap balked for 7 mill. So elway has made some good decisions regarding qb.

You mean other teams or players saved Elway from himself.   Those examples don't shed Elway in a better light lol.

I actually think we end up with Keenum/Bradford/Bridgwater/McCarron.  I've said it all along, I don't think we have a shot at Cousins - we don't have the money that's worth it to come here and continue playing through a rebuild, and we're not close enough to competing for him to be enticed.  Maybe Elway gets him in a room and hypnotizes him, but I'm not holding my breath for Cousins.  

If I were still a betting man, I'd bet on the Broncos following the Bears model from last year.  A Glennon type deal for Keenum/Bradford/Bridgewater/McCarron, draft a first round QB, pray.

Not the sexiest scenario, but what I believe is most likely.

Archived