2018 Free Agency

turtle28

Why are some of you guys caught up so much in the comp picks? I understand keeping our picks in all rounds and aquiring more on trade backs but I dont think we should plan around free agency for comp picks.

I'm not worried about getting a lot more free agents at this point. I'd like to take the cap space we have left and extend Preston Smith if possible. Scherff to but we do have the 5th year option on him since he was a first rounder

9 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

This is why we should trade Preston Smith right now.  

No, it would be why we shouldn’t sign Mathieu because he’s too expensive because we want to keep our young talent for the future.

10 minutes ago, Eric said:

Why are some of you guys caught up so much in the comp picks? I understand keeping our picks in all rounds and aquiring more on trade backs but I dont think we should plan around free agency for comp picks.

I'm not worried about getting a lot more free agents at this point. I'd like to take the cap space we have left and extend Preston Smith if possible. Scherff to but we do have the 5th year option on him since he was a first rounder

Because a backup on a 3-4 year rookie contract is worth its weight in gold.  

2 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

No, it would be why we shouldn’t sign Mathieu because he’s too expensive because we want to keep our young talent for the future.

Learn from the Kirk Cousins fiasco.  Its better to be one year ahead of these situations than behind.  Bill Belichick does this all the time. 

2 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Because a backup on a 3-4 year rookie contract is worth its weight in gold.  

Maybe, maybe not. Even a 3rd round comp pick is basically a 4th round draft pick, there a small chance that player even develops into a valuable back up.

The reason comp picks are valuable is because it give you more bites at the Apple to hit on one of your mid or late round picks, but there’s certainly no guarantee that player does anything. 

Getting good free agents is more important but it all comes down to cost we can’t pay starter salary for players that aren’t going to start but a good veteran reserve is also worth its weight in gold as long as we aren’t overpaying for them.

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

Because it puts us in terrible predicaments for the future. And then we have the issues the Cowboys have. Or that we used to. 

Our D pretty bad .

the only guy I care about leaving next year is Schreff and crowder .

Cap increases next year , and I doubt Norman back . Letting Norman go would save up 16 cap next season .

4 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Learn from the Kirk Cousins fiasco.  Its better to be one year ahead of these situations than behind.  Bill Belichick does this all the time. 

That’s a different situation, the front office didn’t want Kirk on a long term deal that paid him market value. The front office and coaches have never shown that they don’t want Preston Smith long term. There’s no ideication that’s Smith doesn’t want to be here long term either.

This is just a fantasy that you’ve dreamed up and I don’t see any indication that Smith won’t be here long term or that anyone in the front office or coaching staff doesn’t want him here long term.

You’re Preston Smith fantasy of trading him for a 3rd round pick has more to do with your belief that there’s a guarantee he’s not going to improve, a guarantee we’ll easliy find an upgrade to him someday and that you frankly just don’t like him as a player. 

You’ve become very biased against Preston Smith and sadly you can’t even be reasoned with when discussing him anymore. It’s flat out sad.

1 minute ago, Dashing202 said:

Our D pretty bad .

Cap increases next year , and I doubt Norman back . Letting Norman go would save up 16 cap next season .

Once Jonathan Allen got hurt yes but while he was healthy we had a pretty decent defense.

I assume redskins offered DRC 5 mil a year . DRC a very underrated corner , I've barley seen him get beat since becoming a giants . His worst years where in philly but he was also a beast in Arizona.

dude has size,speed, and length and good IQ . 

4 minutes ago, Dashing202 said:

Our D pretty bad .

Our D is not bad. It’s got the potential to be average or a little better and that’s before the draft.

If we get our NT, our D will be pretty set.

1 minute ago, Dashing202 said:

I assume redskins offered DRC 5 mil a year . DRC a very underrated corner , I've barley seen him get beat since becoming a giants . His worst years where in philly but he was also a beast in Arizona.

dude has size,speed, and length and good IQ . 

He definitely was a Cousins killer. He’s the only one on the Giants D that had Cousins’ number since they signed him.

5 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

That’s a different situation, the front office didn’t want Kirk on a long term deal that paid him market value. The front office and coaches have never shown that they don’t want Preston Smith long term. There’s no ideication that’s Smith doesn’t want to be here long term either.

This is just a fantasy that you’ve dreamed up and I don’t see any indication that Smith won’t be here long term or that anyone in the front office or coaching staff doesn’t want him here long term.

You’re Preston Smith fantasy of trading him for a 3rd round pick has more to do with your belief that there’s a guarantee he’s not going to improve, a guarantee we’ll easliy find an upgrade to him someday and that you frankly just don’t like him as a player. 

You’ve become very biased against Preston Smith and sadly you can’t even be reasoned with when discussing him anymore. It’s flat out sad.

Actually I look at things unbiased without burgundy and gold glasses on.  

Just now, mike23md said:

If Mathieu was not going to demand so much money, I would love him. But that 11M tag is just absurd. I wonder what the price tag on E.J. Gaines is? 

Isn't Gaines just another outside CB?  We need a slot guy.

30 minutes ago, Eric said:

Also, comp picks are tradeable now. So having them allows you to move around in the draft to get players you want. And when you have not had any sort of comp picks in 20 years, they are like finding a needle in a hayfield. 

Archived