The Offseason Thread

ttitansfan4life

9 minutes ago, TitanRedd said:

Dez is done it’s not dak it’s him, I wanted dez coming out of college cause he reminded me of a raw T.O. Here’s the problem with dez, he never could run routes, he made a living off catching 50/50 balls was a beast after the catch & had strong hands. Injuries has sapped his burst he’s no longer explosive as he was & he gets taken out the game mentally. I rather have Brice Butler he’s a deep threat & can stretch the field. We have  3 possession WR already why pay for a 4th that struggles separating can only run 3 routes ??‍♂️

aight aight forget I asked anything!!!

9 hours ago, ragevsuall17 said:

He's a better, but smaller and slower version of Sharpe... at 10 times the price. 

This is referring to Sterling Sharpe, right? Because man, I just don't see any comparison with Tajae and Landry.. Tajae's a lazy route runner that can't create separation and has no catch radius. Jarvis Landry is a great route runner that can get immediate separation off the line due to excellent quickness and he knows how to play in traffic. Landry has caught 70.5% of his career targets. With some all-around average to bad quarterback play. Sharpe caught sub-50% of his targets when Marcus was playing well. Literally the least efficient receiver we've had in Mariota's three years here.

I'd love Landry. Somebody to consistently get open underneath with some YAC ability and a nose for the end zone. Hell, just having a receiver, any receiver, that can get some quick and instant separation to at least occasionally give Marcus some early throwing windows would be a huge addition for this offense. He and Matthews can both play outside or in the slot. You'd be handing LaFleur and Mariota four viable passing options to build around in an offense that I really think would let all of them shine. The only argument I could see against Landry (beyond maybe the overpay, which I'm rarely concerned too much about) is that there's hope that he's what Taywan's ceiling is (yes, Taywan is faster, but ideally, they're both underneath receivers). But, given just how absolutely lost Taylor looked throughout the season, that's not potential I'm willing to fully buy into.

I could get into Watkins as well. Though, honestly, I'd probably rather take Landry assuming the price is the same. More consistent production, far fewer injuries, similar age and Landry isn't coming off of a year in the system we're likely going to run where he would absolutely disappear for weeks at a time.

15 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

This is referring to Sterling Sharpe, right? Because I don't really see how he and Tajae are in any way comparable. Tajae's a lazy route runner that can't create separation and has no catch radius. Jarvis Landry is a great route runner that can get immediate separation off the line due to excellent quickness and he knows how to play in traffic. Landry has caught 70.5% of his career targets. With some all-around average to bad quarterback play. Sharpe caught sub-50% of his targets when Marcus was playing well. Literally the least efficient receiver we've had in Mariota's three years here.

I'd love Landry. Somebody to consistently get open underneath with some YAC ability and a nose for the end zone. Hell, just having a receiver, any receiver, that can get some quick and instant separation to at least occasionally give Marcus some early throwing windows would be a huge addition for this offense. He and Matthews can both play outside or in the slot. You'd be handing LaFleur and Mariota four viable passing options to build around in an offense that I really think would let all of them shine. The only argument I could see against Landry (beyond maybe the overpay, which I'm rarely concerned too much about) is that there's hope that he's what Taywan's ceiling is (yes, Taywan is faster, but ideally, they're both underneath receivers). But, given just how absolutely lost Taylor looked throughout the season, that's not potential I'm willing to fully buy into.

I could get into Watkins as well. Though, honestly, I'd probably rather take Landry assuming the price is the same. More consistent production, far fewer injuries, similar age and Landry isn't coming off of a year in the system we're likely going to run where he would absolutely disappear for weeks at a time.

I like Landry he’s a slot receiver beast but I wouldn’t pay no more than 7 mill annually for a slot only receiver look at his yards per catch that’s not game changing. For me to pay 10 mill plus you has to be a game changer. We need a deep threat that can beat 1 on 1 coverage. 

16 minutes ago, TitanRedd said:

I like Landry he’s a slot receiver beast but I wouldn’t pay no more than 7 mill annually for a slot only receiver look at his yards per catch that’s not game changing. For me to pay 10 mill plus you has to be a game changer. We need a deep threat that can beat 1 on 1 coverage. 

See, I just never get sucked in to what a contract looks like beyond the guarantees. I agree that a healthy Sammy Watkins probably adds more to an offense, but I'm also more concerned about how he ages. Granted, he's only 24, so maybe that doesn't make a ton of sense, but I'm always a little worried about a guy whose game is so much based around explosiveness. Add in the injury history, and that's where the guaranteed money starts to factor in for me. Landry has a game that could really age well (though again, that's looking well down the road since he's only 25). Landry certainly isn't a game-changer, but he also has a game built around route running, timing, and consistency. Those are the things I would guess that Mariota would really appreciate after never really having that outside of Delanie. Beyond that, I'm guessing the hope is that Corey Davis fills the role as the game changer for this franchise long-term. Assuming that's how Vrabel and LaFleur feel, I definitely think they could see some value in bringing in a guy that, to put it simply, you can rely on to just get consistently open. If you develop Davis into a top 10 receiver, having the underneath guy that can shred defenses when they pay too much attention to the No. 1 could be big.

I certainly get that his YPC isn't sexy. Hell, his role in the Dolphins offense and his probable role here isn't real sexy. But, in an offense that from all accounts is going to be really based around timing, having a guy like Landry who simply gets separation and can consistently be relied upon to be in the right spot at the right time when Marcus is going through his reads seems like a really nice addition to this offense.

Without question, Watkins would be a sexier signing and I can't pretend that I wouldn't be excited about the potential he could bring to this offense. But, with the way I've heard guys like Dan Orlovsky describe LaFleur's offense, I really think Landry would have the potential to have more of an all-around impact on the team. Orlovsky in particular really makes it sound like a timing based option where Marcus quickly rolls through his reads. You need receivers that will be where they're supposed to be and can open up throwing windows in that style. On top of that, with the exception of Delanie, our offense really lacks that underneath option that Marcus can look to on 3rd and 6. Somebody that, if he has to throw a four-yard crosser, has a real chance of turning it into seven yards and extending a drive.

5 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

We wouldn't know if anyone on our team could get separation on crossing routes. We didn't run them.

Really? I recall quite a few of them. I distinctly remember at least two times where CD ran them four yards on 3rd and 6 and got tackled short. Honestly, those were at the front of my mind when I was typing that sentence.

30 minutes ago, SerenityNow said:

I think Landry would fit well with Marcus and the offense that's predicated more on the quick passing game that I'm expecting us to run under LaFleur, but I just don't see JR shelling out the cash that it's going to take to get him.

With all of the above said, this is pretty much where I'm at. Though I think it really depends. If LaFleur goes to Vrabel and Robinson and says that he's the kind of guy that the offense is missing and could thrive in the new system, I wouldn't be surprised to see us make a run. In the end, I just don't think that any deal Landry signs is going to be big enough to limit us in any way in the future.

Landry doesn't get separation though... His 10.1 career ypc makes that pretty clear. Most of his catches are contested... And in a timing offense, DBs will consistently bump him at the line, throwing off the timing, without fear of being burnt deep. 

If were going for a slot WR who can get separation and can get to a spot with "timing", I'd take a look at Amendola at half the price.

I want nothing to do with Landry. Watkins or a cheaper WR and spend the big bucks at a premier guy at another position (Richardson, Joyner, Johnson, etc).

38 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

Landry doesn't get separation though... His 10.1 career ypc makes that pretty clear. Most of his catches are contested... And in a timing offense, DBs will consistently bump him at the line, throwing off the timing, without fear of being burnt deep. 

Or he’s just been used as an exclusively underneath receiver? Wouldn’t the fact that he ranked second among all NFL WRs in yards after catch this season be a decent indicator that he finds space on short routes? Particularly if he’s ranking that high in YAC with such a low YPC?

Edit: He was also second among receivers in YAC last year and third in 2015. I feel like that trend is a strong indicator that most of his catches aren’t heavily contested.

Honestly, in most situations, I'd just look up a player's stats and agree with you. But I've owned Landry in my money league each of the last two years, owned Tannehill in 2016 and used Cutler as a desperation play a few times this season. So I've watched far more of Miami's passing game than anyone that isn't a Dolphins fans should ever have to. It's just weird to see him described almost exactly the opposite of how I've seen him play. His entire game is predicated on quickly getting off the line, getting space underneath, and turning 3-5 yard catches into 7-10 yard gains. I even just went back to watch some of his highlights this year because I was concerned that I was going crazy, since I usually try not to argue with rage lol. But it looked exactly as I expected. A ton of short to medium routes where he gave the QB a clear window to throw and then turned up field because the corner wasn't right on him. Beyond that, the only place Tajae is faster than Landry is on a track with shorts and a t-shirt. Certainly not on a football field.

Okay I didnt read all the post but I saw my boy Landry name pop up. 

The kid is a beast.He has good hands, Has very good quickness and he is really good at making people miss. I have a friend who is a phins fan so I watch a lot of phins games and I tell him every game that Landry is their best player. Hes a monster in the slot and can play on the outside. The kid is a playmaker and would turn this offense into something great

Id be SOOO excited to have him on this team. Idc about the money.. Davis Landry Matthews Walker and Taylor (Decker?) YESSSSS PLEASE!  You can't stop that if we run the right offense. 

Yeah, I simply have no idea how people in here would pass on Landry, especially considering half of what you would've read in here this past season is how we don't do enough to help Mariota in the quick, short to intermediate passing game and get him in rhythm. 

1 minute ago, Andrei01 said:

Yeah, I simply have no idea how people in here would pass on Landry, especially considering half of what you would've read in here this past season is how we don't do enough to help Mariota in the quick, short to intermediate passing game and get him in rhythm. 

DEEP PAZzeS DOE!!! 

Archived