The Offseason Thread

ttitansfan4life

7 hours ago, TitanRedd said:

Cousin said money isn’t as important as winning he wants to be fairly compensated but he wants to win Sounds like Denver 

Eh, the Broncos aren't quite as attractive the team they were a couple of years ago. Theyre starting to feel the cap a little... Talib is likely gone whether by trade or cut... There's been word they're shopping Demaryius... There's Sanders' sex charges... I mean, what's the appeal other than Miller and Harris on defense?

If he wants to win now, Jax or AZ are good options. But Minnesota would definitely be my top choice... Like Jax, they're set up to win now... But they have a little largger window before those big contracts start forcing decisions in their FO. 

Jets have a lot of cap space... But what pieces do they have on offense to help Cousins? 

Brownies have even more cap space... Have a good O-line, have Gordon, Duke, Njoku and some other young pieces at WR... And have 3 picks in the 1st (2 top 4) and 2 more in the 2nd. Hue could sell him that they're a QB away from being a playoff contender...

If I'm Cousins, Minnesota and Cleveland hold my early interest the most... One offers the best chance to get a ring in the next couple years... The other offers the most money and a chance to resurrect a franchise and be a football god of a previously storied franchise... 

45 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

Eh, the Broncos aren't quite as attractive the team they were a couple of years ago. Theyre starting to feel the cap a little... Talib is likely gone whether by trade or cut... There's been word they're shopping Demaryius... There's Sanders' sex charges... I mean, what's the appeal other than Miller and Harris on defense?

If he wants to win now, Jax or AZ are good options. But Minnesota would definitely be my top choice... Like Jax, they're set up to win now... But they have a little largger window before those big contracts start forcing decisions in their FO. 

Jets have a lot of cap space... But what pieces do they have on offense to help Cousins? 

Brownies have even more cap space... Have a good O-line, have Gordon, Duke, Njoku and some other young pieces at WR... And have 3 picks in the 1st (2 top 4) and 2 more in the 2nd. Hue could sell him that they're a QB away from being a playoff contender...

If I'm Cousins, Minnesota and Cleveland hold my early interest the most... One offers the best chance to get a ring in the next couple years... The other offers the most money and a chance to resurrect a franchise and be a football god of a previously storied franchise... 

The jags are out the picture, I believe bortles contract is guaranteed at 19 million because he just had wrist surgery 

1 hour ago, TitanRedd said:

The jags are out the picture, I believe bortles contract is guaranteed at 19 million because he just had wrist surgery 

Jags fan said yesterday its not guaranteed because it wont put him out longer than 3-5 weeks, but he still expects him to be back. 

2 hours ago, ragevsuall17 said:

I know the QB is important and all, but even without a good QB I don't think you can go 0-16 and be considered a playoff contender by adding one.

I think that roster is a lot worse than you're giving it credit for. Njoku could be really good and they have a great but aging LT, but even Duke Johnson is just an average running back. Gordon could end up being good again, but we'll see. Everyone else is average or worse. 

Defense has a couple pieces but is underwhelming overall. 

All those draft picks mean nothing when they keep wasting picks on guys like Peppers, who they use a single high safety all the time. Maybe Coleman isn't a bust and will look good with a legitimate QB.

But yeah, if I'm him I would take a significant paycut to go to Minnesota. 

1 hour ago, TitanRedd said:

As long as he passes the physical prior to the start of the league year, that's not an issue.  

But I do think they're rolling with Bortles next year.  I just mentioned them as a win now option along with the Vikings and Cards.  Denver may be in that win now mentality as well... but I just don't know about them... 

9 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

I know the QB is important and all, but even without a good QB I don't think you can go 0-16 and be considered a playoff contender by adding one.

I think that roster is a lot worse than you're giving it credit for. Njoku could be really good and they have a great but aging LT, but even Duke Johnson is just an average running back. Gordon could end up being good again, but we'll see. Everyone else is average or worse. 

Defense has a couple pieces but is underwhelming overall. 

All those draft picks mean nothing when they keep wasting picks on guys like Peppers, who they use a single high safety all the time. Maybe Coleman isn't a bust and will look good with a legitimate QB.

But yeah, if I'm him I would take a significant paycut to go to Minnesota. 

Outside of the Vikings, I just don't think any other team offers much more than rest.  Cards could have a shot, but how long is Fitz staying?  How long can they keep that defense and how quickly can they build around the offense.  Johnson is entering his 3rd year, so they only have 2 years of a cheap contract there.  

I think most of us would agree about taking some sort of paycut in Cousin's current situation... but how much of a paycut are we talking about? How much are the Browns/Vikings prepared to offer him?  The Browns have over $110M in cap space this year... let that sink in.  I honestly think not only can they offer Cousins $30M+ per season... but more importantly, can offer him guaranteed money that will dwarf what anyone else can offer him (Smith got $71M guaranteed... I could see the Browns offering Cousins $100M+ guaranteed... Stafford is the only QB currently with over $90M in guaranteed money)

And while there are uncertainties with the Brown's youth/roster... there is a lot of potential there... especially if Barkley is their pick at 1.  Gordon, Barkley, Coleman, Njoku, Higgins, Johnson out of the backfield... that's a lot of potential weapons for Cousins there.  If they can add Fitzpatrick to the defense... suddenly you have two potential blue chip studs on the defensive side to build around.  Even if they miss on their other 2 top 35 picks and 2 additional top 65 picks... there's a lot of potential there.  And as long as they can convince Thomas to put off retirement for now, the offensive line is still one of the better units in the NFL.  

38 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

Denver may be in that win now mentality as well... but I just don't know about them... 

That's the word here (in Denver) although it seems to be a consensus among sports talk radio and I don't think anyone has heard it directly from Elway.  But they believe he's looking to step away when his current contract is up (3-4 more years, I think) and he wants to leave the franchise on a high note to protect his legacy.  Given that, they don't see him gambling on another raw rookie to build a team around, whether it's Allen or Mayfield (or even Rosen or Darnold).  They think his focus is on Cousins in order to try to squeeze one more ring out before you start making tough decisions on who to pay long-term.  But getting Cousins starts that clock that Titans fans learned about back in the early 2000s.  Robbing Peter to pay Paul eventually catches up to you.

The problem is, I'm not sure how Elway can sell Cousins on the idea that this current team (minus Talib and maybe Demaryius) has a better shot at a title than Minny or even Arizona.  Heck I agree with rage that Cleveland plus a combo of Barkley/Fitzpatrick looks mighty tempting.  When Peyton chose Denver over us, all the credit went to Elway and his credibility factor in talking to Peyton one-on-one, QB legend to QB legend.  He's going to need a whole lot more of that magic to sell Cousins on this current Broncos team.

1 hour ago, titanrick said:

That's the word here (in Denver) although it seems to be a consensus among sports talk radio and I don't think anyone has heard it directly from Elway.  But they believe he's looking to step away when his current contract is up (3-4 more years, I think) and he wants to leave the franchise on a high note to protect his legacy.  

Sounds like the Elway thing to do. He couldn’t do **** without Peyton and people had the nerve to say he was one of the best GMs in the league? Lmao at what, signing FAs to join Peyton?

Archived