The Offseason Thread

ttitansfan4life

46 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

I wouldn't mind Siemian as a potential backup QB if his price is very low. His best performance came under Kubiak who runs similar offense to McVay/(and I assume) LaFleur.

I wouldn’t mind him. I’d take almost anyone over Cassell but Siemian isn’t terrible

fine I’ll post it since no one else did. It’s crazy how much speculation there is.

All I ask for is for Nike to do a good job. We have good colors there has to be a way to make these things look sharp. Just don’t do to us what they do to the Jags and make us all look confused an question what the hell we are looking at 

1 hour ago, Titans fan 617 said:

fine I’ll post it since no one else did. It’s crazy how much speculation there is.

All I ask for is for Nike to do a good job. We have good colors there has to be a way to make these things look sharp. Just don’t do to us what they do to the Jags and make us all look confused an question what the hell we are looking at 

Mane the new jag uniforms fresher than a cold day in hell ??

2 hours ago, titans0021 said:

I guess my issue continues to be why we're exclusively focusing on the year where he had essentially zero time to prepare with an aging, out of shape quarterback whose biggest strength throughout his career (his arm) had clearly declined? If last season's numbers were near his career averages, I could understand talking almost exclusively about them, but they weren't. He averaged almost two full yards more per reception in his first three seasons (1.8 if we'd like to be specific). He averaged 2.1 yards more YAC/catch in his last season with a competent quarterback than he did with Cutler. I can't find a full list of YAC/catch, but based on the list I'm looking at, I'd venture a guess that 6.74 YAC/catch would likely push him far closer to the top among wide receivers.

This has been what has baffled me from the first time we discussed it. Tannehill wasn't the same QB in 2014. We can make the argument that he was in 2015 and 2016 (at least statistically). And in those two years, Landry caught 204 passes (69% of his targets), averaged 11.2 yards per catch and 6 yards YAC/catch. And yet we're saying that a guy like Jerrick McKinnon, who had a career-high 421 receiving yards last year, can effectively fill a similar role as Jarvis Landry? 

Honestly, that's why I tried to leave this discussion behind. Because I can't even see the argument. Normally in these discussions, I can at least get the other side's perspective. But I can't, in any way, fathom the side that says you can just plug in a competent pass-catching back into Landry's role and get similar production. Beyond that, referring to Landry's best year as an outlier is silly to me. It was his third year in the league, his first working with a competent offensive mind, and it was the first time he had played with an average quarterback. Isn't that just natural receiver development? Hasn't a WR's third year in the league long been talked about as almost a defining season? Of course there was statistical regression when he lost that quarterback and was stuck with Jay this season. With a quality OC and a better QB, I'd be far, far more willing to bet on Landry being closer to 2016 Jarvis Landry than 2017 Jarvis Landry. Particularly in terms of yards per catch and YAC/catch.

But again, unless we trade for him, it's all pretty much a useless discussion. Unless Indy, Jacksonville or Houston trades for him and then we can go back to discussing just how much of an impact he can have on an offense.

Again Landry isn’t worth 12-14 million dollars a year. He’s a slot only WR, that only catches a 100 balls but can’t seperate, take the top of the defense, nor is he a game changer. Paying someone that kind of money, I want Deandre Hopkins a WR that will make plays regardless who’s at QB. Julian Eldemen doesn’t make more than like 7 mill a year. & he’s a dominant slot guy. We can sign Jordan Matthews round 5 mill a yr & ask him to man the slot like he did in philly ??‍♂️. 

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport mentioned the Titans, Panthers, Saints, and Bears as teams that could be interested in a trade for franchise player Jarvis Landry.

The Titans were the first team out of RapSheet's mouth, while the other three clubs were kind of thrown out there at the end. Tennessee GM Jon Robinson has had a penchant for big trades since taking the job and needs a slot receiver after Eric Decker completely flopped as a free-agent pickup. The Titans do have sophomore Taywan Taylor as an option, but Landry would give Marcus Mariota a reliable safety blanket with Corey Davis and Rishard Matthews on the outside. Carolina and Chicago obviously also need plenty of help at receiver.

Roto

2 minutes ago, Justin615$ said:

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport mentioned the Titans, Panthers, Saints, and Bears as teams that could be interested in a trade for franchise player Jarvis Landry.

The Titans were the first team out of RapSheet's mouth, while the other three clubs were kind of thrown out there at the end. Tennessee GM Jon Robinson has had a penchant for big trades since taking the job and needs a slot receiver after Eric Decker completely flopped as a free-agent pickup. The Titans do have sophomore Taywan Taylor as an option, but Landry would give Marcus Mariota a reliable safety blanket with Corey Davis and Rishard Matthews on the outside. Carolina and Chicago obviously also need plenty of help at receiver.

Roto

I’ll lose my mind if we pay that much money to this guy ?

Yall need to get past this notion of 'x-player isn't worth this much money.' The cap goes up every year, which means the salaries you pay players increases as well. The salary cap isnt what it was 10 years ago. Only two teams are in the red as far as cap space and one of them was the team that won the effin Super Bowl. The league average for cap space is over 32 million dollars. It amazes me how the NFL dupes fans into being concerned about pinching pennies for freaking billionaires. But if the Titans miss the playoffs this year, someone  will claim its because the titans are cheap and never spend.

23 minutes ago, Chocolateman78 said:

Yall need to get past this notion of 'x-player isn't worth this much money.' The cap goes up every year, which means the salaries you pay players increases as well. The salary cap isnt what it was 10 years ago. Only two teams are in the red as far as cap space and one of them was the team that won the effin Super Bowl. The league average for cap space is over 32 million dollars. It amazes me how the NFL dupes fans into being concerned about pinching pennies for freaking billionaires. But if the Titans miss the playoffs this year, someone  will claim its because the titans are cheap and never spend.

I’m not saying the titans are cheap or asking them not to spend. Again my opinion he’s not worth 10 plus million I don’t see it. He’s not a game changer or a playmaker all he does is catch balls. I rather spend that money on true threat at WR or on defense. 

14 hours ago, TitanLegend said:

I wouldn't mind Siemian as a potential backup QB if his price is very low. His best performance came under Kubiak who runs similar offense to McVay/(and I assume) LaFleur.

I think Siemian would be a very good backup for us. He is a guy that can manage the team to a win or two if Mariota is out. I wouldn't feel comfortable with him if Mariota were to miss extended time, but you aren't going to find a backup QB that you would feel comfortable with for an extended period of time unless you use a draft pick and develop a guy into that.

Exactly right cap space doesn't matter at all. We should trade for Landry and sign him to a 12 million dollar a year deal, sign Josh Sitton for 10 mil a year to play RG, sign Trumaine Johnson to 11 mil a year deal, and then extend Lewan to 15 mil a year and Mariota to 30 mil a year. 

It doesn't matter of players are overpaid we have infinite cap space.

That said, **** it bring me Landry. Throught his career there's been a 70%  chance to get 10 yard gain when throwing at him and we know how Mariota excels in the short game.

Pissed the Rams are going to trade for Marcus Peters; that would have been huge if we had him.

1 hour ago, TitanRedd said:

I’m not saying the titans are cheap or asking them not to spend. Again my opinion he’s not worth 10 plus million I don’t see it. He’s not a game changer or a playmaker all he does is catch balls. I rather spend that money on true threat at WR or on defense. 

It' not to single you out. It's the mindset in general. People still have this 2003 mentality where if one bad free agent contract will lead to a decade of cap hell. That's not reality anymore and i recognize that we have big contracts looming for Lewan, Mariota, and even Henry. But if Landry is gonna get paid beyond his value... so is every other free agent including anyone we could add defensively.  fans act like it' their personal money being spent. Meanwhile ticket prices are being raised for a second consecutive year. 

For the record, I'm indifferent on Landry. I'd like him, but I'm also on record saying I like the status quo at wr. But inevitably the 'this player isn' worth that' debate will be brought up in regards to another player at some point, and my opinion is the same.

Archived