The Offseason Thread

ttitansfan4life

Ventured over to the Dolphins forum to see what they thought they could get for Landry in a trade. There was talk of a second this year and a third in 2019. I'm one of the bigger Landry fans you'll find, but man, the idea of giving up a pair of day two picks for the right to give him a big contract is just way, way beyond me.

FWIW any talk on my part of Landry assumes he's a free agent. I'm not for giving up picks for any of these vets being dangled. 

The Dolphins screwed their leverage here. The franchise tag is essentially a no trade clause.  The dolphins can't trade him till he signs, he will only sign if he likes the team and the money they're offering, and no team will offer high picks without signing Landry long term. There's only one team with the combination of picks and money each side would covet, and I doubt Landry wants to sign long term in Cleveland.

If I were Landry I would screw the Dolphins by refusing to sign the franchise tender therefore preventing them from working out a trade.  Try to force a Josh Norman type rescind, or sign it and report after the 2nd pre-season game so he has time to get in football shape, play the year out on  a 16 million tag, which is a higher 1 year salary than the 4 yr 58 million deal he wanted, and dare them to tag me again. He should bet on himself.

1 hour ago, Chocolateman78 said:

FWIW any talk on my part of Landry assumes he's a free agent. I'm not for giving up picks for any of these vets being dangled. 

The Dolphins screwed their leverage here. The franchise tag is essentially a no trade clause.  The dolphins can't trade him till he signs, he will only sign if he likes the team and the money they're offering, and no team will offer high picks without signing Landry long term. There's only one team with the combination of picks and money each side would covet, and I doubt Landry wants to sign long term in Cleveland.

If I were Landry I would screw the Dolphins by refusing to sign the franchise tender therefore preventing them from working out a trade.  Try to force a Josh Norman type rescind, or sign it and report after the 2nd pre-season game so he has time to get in football shape, play the year out on  a 16 million tag, which is a higher 1 year salary than the 4 yr 58 million deal he wanted, and dare them to tag me again. He should bet on himself.

Be risky to bet on yourself with an uncertain Tannehill or street FA throwing you the ball.

18 hours ago, titans0021 said:

Ventured over to the Dolphins forum to see what they thought they could get for Landry in a trade. There was talk of a second this year and a third in 2019. I'm one of the bigger Landry fans you'll find, but man, the idea of giving up a pair of day two picks for the right to give him a big contract is just way, way beyond me.

Yeah, I really doubt NFL people value him that much, especially given his current situation. 

Just now, ttitansfan4life said:

Figured we’d have interest in him. Apparently was very close with our guys at the pro bowl especially Delanie. Not sure how I feel about giving up picks for him though.

I feel like the picks could be less than we expect especially with the way the Dolphins are currently being run with Gase being kind of a wild card. Once they deem a guy as not part of their plans they'll move him for pretty much anything kinda like they did with Jay Ajayi. Plus the Dolphins don't really have much leverage here. Everybody knows Landry doesn't want to be there anymore, and that's not exactly great for locker room building when everybody knows that one of your top players isn't really invested in the team.  I trust that J-Rob wouldn't give up anything in the first two rounds for him. I'm guessing a 3rd would be the absolute ceiling that they could get, but I think he'll end up getting traded for a 4th and probably a mid round pick next year.

19 hours ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Be risky to bet on yourself with an uncertain Tannehill or street FA throwing you the ball.

Hell that's all he's had for his entire career. Still has the most receptions ever in the 1st 4 years of a career. What changes now?

1 hour ago, lamont said:

I am in on Landry for the right price. 4th rounder or lower count me in. 

Yeah, I can live with a fourth. Anything more than that and I'm out. The Dolphins really don't have much leverage here, they're right up against the cap, they can't really afford to pay him $16 million and let him play on the tag. It's why I found it really weird that they tagged him in the first place, since they were likely looking at a comp third in 2019 if they just let him walk. Who knows, maybe they can find a fourth or fifth this year and a conditional pick next year based on his production.

With the above said, given our lack of leaks in the building, not sure I'm completely ready to buy in on that one tweet.

2 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Figured we’d have interest in him. Apparently was very close with our guys at the pro bowl especially Delanie. Not sure how I feel about giving up picks for him though.

I would like to take this moment to remind people that the JRob FO is notoriously tight lipped. Rumors don't really leak out of STSP. When news leaks about the Titans involvement with anyone to a national source, I assume the info is coming from the second party, not the Titans. So considering Landry was just given the go ahead to facilitate a trade, I would imagine this info, whether true or not, is being leaked from Landry's people. This is how you gauge your market.

Not saying J Robs not interested, he was interested in Cooks last year. But I'm taking it with a healthy amount of salt.

6 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

Yeah, I can live with a fourth. Anything more than that and I'm out. The Dolphins really don't have much leverage here, they're right up against the cap, they can't really afford to pay him $16 million and let him play on the tag. It's why I found it really weird that they tagged him in the first place, since they were likely looking at a comp third in 2019 if they just let him walk. Who knows, maybe they can find a fourth or fifth this year and a conditional pick next year based on his production.

With the above said, given our lack of leaks in the building, not sure I'm completely ready to buy in on that one tweet.

Exactly

In addition, the Dolphins just acquired Robert Quinn's massive contract, making this franchise tag bluff make even less sense. Teams are going to wait for them to rescind that tag. Just take your L and hope for a 3rd round comp pick next year Miami.

I’m curious to what the price is for Landry. It’s weird because they tagged him and a team would have to give up a first to sign him but no team is doing that. So are the Dolphins really only going to take a 3rd or 4th and another late pick for him?

I don’t have a problem with trading for Landry because I really don’t see us paying Watkins the big money to come here. Titans could still get other WRs on the market that will be more affordable than Watkins or even what we would have to pay Landry unless we can hammer out a deal with Landry. 

Atleast the offseason rumors are starting to swirl. When trades are talked about I always assume the Titans could be involved because of Robinson. I want to say next weekend will be fun with the legal tampering period but with the Titans and Wyatt no news ever gets leaked out anymore 

23 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

So this interesting stat just came across my twitter timeline...

Yeah....

See, this stat has never really bothered me. If I could see a chart with yards per target and he was still last, I'd be concerned. I can't really find career numbers for it though (probably because targets is a relatively recent stat). For instance, Landry's last season with a competent quarterback, he averaged "only" 12.1 yards per reception. But he also finished ahead of Antonio Brown, OBJ, Jordy Nelson, Demaryius Thomas, Mike Evans and DeAndre Hopkins in yards per target. So while you weren't getting splash plays out of him, I'll take 8.7 yards when I throw it to my underneath and intermediate receiver all day.

Again this is why I say I’ll take Landry at the right price I’ll give up maybe two 4ths this year & 2020 draft. But I wouldn’t pay him no more than 10-11mill a yr 5yr 55 mill 28mill G the most I’ll give him. & pay him 14 mill his 1st 2 seasons 

Archived