The Offseason Thread

ttitansfan4life

North Jersey's Art Stapleton reports free agent OG Andrew Norwell has narrowed his three finalists to the Giants, 49ers, and Colts.

One league source reportedly told Stapleton the Giants are "all-in" on Norwell. The All-Pro guard has been linked to the Giants all offseason, but it appears the cap-flush 49ers are making one last push. The top available guard on the market, Norwell would immediately help a Giants offensive line with numerous needs.

3 hours ago, KingTitan said:

Only area I'd slightly be disappointed is if we brought back both OG's.  But even so, I don't think they were just unworthy of being NFL starters.  They were the weak point of our line, but could be a lot worst. 

DaQuan and Avery are both good starters. If Avery comes back at a non-big buck FA contract I'll be ok with it. Could be a lot worst than Avery. We could try to do better, but He is a worthy starter. DaQuan was a good starter.  

But again, neither is worth the price that a FA market would probably pay. I'd be more than happy to welcome all those guys back. (at the right price)

Admittedly, I should have specified. If those are the major moves we make, I'll be entirely underwhelmed. If we add a few players and then resign a few of them, I'm not going to be upset about it. But I'd really like to see us actively search to improve this roster. We're not taking another step if we essentially roll with all of the same players as last season.

3 hours ago, TitanLegend said:

there's a lot worse we can do on the o-line than returning last year's group. FWIW PFF ranked us as the 5th best o-line in football, if you put any stock in that. But even if you don't their pass blocking was still phenomenal last year.

Pass blocking was definitely great. I'd like to replace one of the guards though. I'm not entirely sure I buy into those run blocking numbers though. I wonder just how much they were padded by those long Henry runs where he essentially went untouched. I know the back left yards on the table, but I can't imagine it being that many yards.

3 hours ago, Chocolateman78 said:

Who is TJ Currie?

My bad. 
T.J. Carrie  CB.

I read up on him and said to be the raiders best CB. But, considering their pass defense it isn't say that much. Bay Area guy but I think someone of quality.

31 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

My bad. 
T.J. Carrie  CB.

I read up on him and said to be the raiders best CB. But, considering their pass defense it isn't say that much. Bay Area guy but I think someone of quality.

Okay, I looked at him a bit and here's my question. My main interest in adding a FA corner is that if we can find an upgrade at corner to play outside, that would free us up to allow Ryan to play more in the slot. Where I feel he's a much better play maker. So when looking at DBs who are/were primary slot guys, my question immediately becomes can he play outside? Now I don't believe that its any sort of deal breaker or that i would oppose it,(the same would apply to Aaron Colvin, and I'm a fan of his as well) but if we're spending to improve the CB position in FA, I would prefer us to upgrade outside the numbers. 

One benefit we have in house though is Tye Smith and Lashaun Sims. Both guys have the size to play outside and both have made strides as players. If we don't address CB with a significant upgrade, it shows me that they have alot of faith in these two boys. 

25 minutes ago, TwoToneBlue said:

Update on Duke. Know a lot of people are interested in him.

If the Titans really have inquired about Johnson, I wouldn't be surprised if the Browns leaked this info as ways of saying we're not giving him up for cheap.

That said I think the media is over hyping Barkley. I don't think for a moment that they would deal Johnson, unless some one gives up a day 2 pick for him. I don't think they will draft Barkley with one of those top pics regardless... 

I’m curious if the plethora of LGs compared to RGs in the draft has added to our fuel to make Kline more of a priority than Spain. Most of the top interior prospects in this draft class played on the left side of the line. The only guard I can think of off the top of my head that played on the right was Braden Smith from Auburn. It’s not a huge transition, but it’s still an adjustment when you’ve played on the left side all throughout college and then you get moved to the right and everything you learned from a technique standpoint is basically in reverse while also adjusting to the speed of the NFL

I just think if we end up bringing in a rookie guard that we should ideally play him at his natural position instead of moving him to the opposite side of the line. Daniels from Iowa is kind of an exception because he’s played all the interior spots at Iowa, but say we ended up drafting Hernandez or even Wynn. Both have played on the left side throughout their careers. It just seems like the easiest transition for those guys into the league would be playing on the left side as opposed to moving to the right side if we ended up keeping Spain over Kline.

6 hours ago, lovetitans said:

This would make sense to me. Especially if we retain Spain. Pugh would play outside with Spain inside until Conklin comes back then Spain is outstanding depth for the price! Since Robinson has been here he has obviously put a premium on protecting Mariota.

Giants badmouthing him this week.  Implying a drinking problem.

Houston fans seem to think they have Nate Soldier, Zach Fulton, and Malcom Butler all wrapped up.  I was hoping we might get Fulton.  Love to come in at last minute and steal him from Texans.  Fulton can play all three interior positions— he had multiple starts at all three last year.

On one hand, this is a pretty big get for the Jags. They've strengthen the strength of their offense.

On the other hand, their cap situation is going to be interesting to monitor in the next few years and this is more proof that they're going to,once again, rely heavily on their run game. They virtually traded their WR(Robinson) for a G(Norwell).

Also, no one mentioned the Jags with Norwell, which shows that teams are always working behind the scenes in silence. 

Archived