The Offseason Thread

ttitansfan4life

11 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

Yeah, Matthews has zero explosion to his game at this point.

When he was wit the eagles he was a highly productive slot WR. That got YAC yards. He missed last season with ankle & knee injuries I will take a shot on Jordan at the slot. Won’t cost much 

Speed is probably the most overrated aspect among WRs in the NFL. Getting open is far more about route running/technique than speed. Nelson at his fastest was a 4.51 40 guy. Edelman a 4.52. Antonio Brown a 4.48. None of those times are necessarily blazing fast, but they use technique(and scheme) to get open.

Look at the upper end WRs in the NFL and how many of them have blazing speed?

OBJ - 4.43

Jones - 4.39

Green - 4.47

Brown - 4.48

Hopkins - 4.57

Jeffery - 4.48

Baldwin - 4.47

Edelman - 4.52

Robinson - 4.60

Fitzgerald - 4.48(and he's obviously gotten slower with age)

Thielen - 4.45

Cooks - 4.33

Thomas(Saints) - 4.55

Davis and Taylor are both in that 4.45 range(Davis maybe slightly slower than that?). Matthews, our best receiver, is a 4.6 guy. Sharpe is a 4.55.

Speed is not a big issue among our targets, that's not factoring in having one of the fastest TEs in football, or close to, in Walker.

I'm far more concerned with the coaches getting our WR's technique on point and our scheme getting them open more consistently than I am with adding new receivers.

5 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

Speed is probably the most overrated aspect among WRs in the NFL. Getting open is far more about route running/technique than speed. Nelson at his fastest was a 4.51 40 guy. Edelman a 4.52. Antonio Brown a 4.48. None of those times are necessarily blazing fast, but they use technique(and scheme) to get open.

Look at the upper end WRs in the NFL and how many of them have blazing speed?

OBJ - 4.43

Jones - 4.39

Green - 4.47

Brown - 4.48

Hopkins - 4.57

Jeffery - 4.48

Baldwin - 4.47

Edelman - 4.52

Robinson - 4.60

Fitzgerald - 4.48(and he's obviously gotten slower with age)

Thielen - 4.45

Cooks - 4.33

Thomas(Saints) - 4.55

Davis and Taylor are both in that 4.45 range(Davis maybe slightly slower than that?). Matthews, our best receiver, is a 4.6 guy. Sharpe is a 4.55.

Speed is not a big issue among our targets, that's not factoring in having one of the fastest TEs in football, or close to, in Walker.

I'm far more concerned with the coaches getting our WR's technique on point and our scheme getting them open more consistently than I am with adding new receivers.

Lary Fitzgerald never seen 4.44 he ran 4.6 coming out of Pittsburg never was known as a burner, just a smooth route runner that could high point the football & go up & get it 

sub 4.5 is considered fast for a WR. 

Also some of yall really like to pick and choose when speed is and isn't a factor. 

13 minutes ago, TitanRedd said:

When he was wit the eagles he was a highly productive slot WR. That got YAC yards. He missed last season with ankle & knee injuries I will take a shot on Jordan at the slot. Won’t cost much 

He was also, essentially, the only option those years in Philly. And even then he wasn't near explosive. He just had a large volume of passes thrown his way. 

4 minutes ago, Chocolateman78 said:

sub 4.5 is considered fast for a WR. 

Also some of yall really like to pick and choose when speed is and isn't a factor. 

He was also, essentially, the only option those years in Philly. And even then he wasn't near explosive. He just had a large volume of passes thrown his way. 

Speed to me is a plus, but that’s only if the receiver can get open & catch the football & adds another element to the passing game that you’re missing, for EX Tory holt Issac Bruce, Marvin Harrison Reggie Wayne. Moss & welker. When you have interchangeable WR, you have more room to work with on the field. 1 WR can go deep & take a safety with him if he’s a dominant vertical threat & the other guy can work the middle & underneath if he’s a possession type 

Once he's cut, Tavon Austin (if he's willing to play for a reasonable 1 or 2 year deal) would be a good back-up option to Gabriel. Who knows if LaFleur would even want him, but even as a decoy he was a useful guy in that offense in opening things up downfield. I guess Taywan could maybe be that guy, but not sure at this point.

7 minutes ago, TitanRedd said:

Speed to me is a plus, but that’s only if the receiver can get open & catch the football & adds another element to the passing game that you’re missing, for EX Tory holt Issac Bruce, Marvin Harrison Reggie Wayne. Moss & welker. When you have interchangeable WR, you have more room to work with on the field. 1 WR can go deep & take a safety with him if he’s a dominant vertical threat & the other guy can work the middle & underneath if he’s a possession type 

I understand that. My argument is that we have a bunch of those underneath possession guys on the roster already. I support finding more who can take that safety with him. Davis really the only guy on the roster with that potential and he hsnt shown it consistently.

Bottom line I don' see nothing in Jordan Mathews game that we don' already get from having Rishard Mathews here. 

7 minutes ago, VY said:

Once he's cut, Tavon Austin (if he's willing to play for a reasonable 1 or 2 year deal) would be a good back-up option to Gabriel. Who knows if LaFleur would even want him, but even as a decoy he was a useful guy in that offense in opening things up downfield. I guess Taywan could maybe be that guy, but not sure at this point.

Not a fan of Austin we need some true WRs not gimmick guys. Hopefully Taylor becomes a true WR not just a gimmick player

Archived