The Offseason Thread

ttitansfan4life

1 minute ago, Chocolateman78 said:

I have never understood the disdain fans have for this kid. Like its not like he's going to be a go to guy. People seem to get ruffled at the thought of him being our 4th WR. 

He had a solid rookie campaign, and should give us super cheap quality depth now that we have more talent at the spot. Why do people get so up in arms about this guy?

If he didn't have a good training camp as a rookie, most would consider him a real long shot to even make the roster. In a year where Marcus completed 61.2% of his passes with a YPA of 7.6, Tajae caught 49.4% of his targets and averaged 6.3 yards per target. Harry Douglas was a more efficient target. Kendall Wright was never even close to that bad. Eric Decker, on similar targets in a far worse statistical year for Marcus, had more catches and more yards on the same amount of targets.

My issue really is that Tajae was just bad. His catch percentage was the ninth worst in all of football. He didn't get separation and at least two, but I believe three, of Marcus' nine interceptions that year were a direct result of him running sloppy, lazy routes, which was the one thing he was supposed to be good at. I just see no ceiling. He's a below average athlete and showed almost no positives. It's not like he was some high draft pick that we've invested a lot in. He just played a lot of snaps because we had one of the worst groups of receivers and ended up with borderline respectable bulk stats because Mariota had no one else to throw to.

I could live with him as the 4th receiver if we had three proven guys in front of him. As the fourth receiver with one giant question mark and one smaller question mark immediately in front of him, I'd like someone that is at least borderline reliable.

I guess, here's my thing with Tajae. Just name one thing that you thought he did well as a rookie. A single aspect. Not something that the scouting reports said he did well. Or not something that the reporters at camp said looked good at. One trait, in a full year as one of our starters, that is above league average. Because I have nothing. His routes weren't sharp, his catch radius was terrible, he's not athletic, he didn't make contested catches and he wasn't even a particularly strong blocker. I get why, on paper, people want to believe that Tajae isn't bad. But he played more snaps than any receiver on the roster in 2016 and, for the most part, made either absolutely no impact or a negative impact in the vast majority of the games.

If the reporters didn't spend that month and a half praising him at every turn, he'd be a total afterthought. He'd be going the same way as the Roydell Williams and Brandon Jones of the world. 

10 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

I guess, here's my thing with Tajae. Just name one thing that you thought he did well as a rookie. A single aspect. Not something that the scouting reports said he did well. Or not something that the reporters at camp said looked good at. One trait, in a full year as one of our starters, that is above league average. Because I have nothing. His routes weren't sharp, his catch radius was terrible, he's not athletic, he didn't make contested catches and he wasn't even a particularly strong blocker. I get why, on paper, people want to believe that Tajae isn't bad. But he played more snaps than any receiver on the roster in 2016 and, for the most part, made either absolutely no impact or a negative impact in the vast majority of the games.

If the reporters didn't spend that month and a half praising him at every turn, he'd be a total afterthought. He'd be going the same way as the Roydell Williams and Brandon Jones of the world. 

we're talking about a 4-5th option now....... not a 1-2 like he was then. huge difference. Is there better out there yes but not at his price. could certainly do a lot worse for a 4-5th WR.

Just now, lovetitans said:

we're talking about a 4-5th option now....... not a 1-2 like he was then. huge difference. Is there better out there yes but not at his price. could certainly do a lot worse for a 4-5th WR.

See, my struggle comes in with the fact that I have my concerns about Taylor. He could absolutely prove me wrong, as at least his quickness and speed are real traits that I can point to as  NFL caliber, but I don't want Taylor locked in at the third spot, since that position could get a ton of reps. I'd much rather bring someone in and let them fight with Taylor for the No. 3 job rather than just handing Taylor the 3 and Sharpe the 4.

44 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

See, my struggle comes in with the fact that I have my concerns about Taylor. He could absolutely prove me wrong, as at least his quickness and speed are real traits that I can point to as  NFL caliber, but I don't want Taylor locked in at the third spot, since that position could get a ton of reps. I'd much rather bring someone in and let them fight with Taylor for the No. 3 job rather than just handing Taylor the 3 and Sharpe the 4.

That was my thought. Rams lead league in 11 personnel last year at 81%. Our #3 WR is a starter not a depth player.

11 minutes ago, Titans fan 617 said:

McKinnon to the 49ers 4 year deal 30 million

After seeing the McKinnon deal and some of the other CB deals, really like J-Rob's work so far. Spent good money but from the look of it got as good of value as possible.

I was a bit surprised to see how the WR market developed given that was the deepest position on FA for the most part. Had some guys I'd have been interested in, but it's gonna be time for our young guys to step up.

Archived