Will Tom Brady Become The Greatest...

mdonnelly21

143 members have voted

1. 1. If Tom Brady Wins A SB Will He Be The Greatest Sports Player Of All Time?

• Already is
    • Yes
    • No

3 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

This. For a football player to reach the level of a Michael Jordan or Lebron James in terms of value, legacy, prestige, etc. they'd pretty much need to be the Jerry Rice of QBs. Something like 5 SBs, 5 MVPs, and 8+ all-pro nods. Think Brady and Peyton's accolades combined... this really isn't feasible in today's era of parity.

Brady's been to more finals than Jordan and one less than Lebron but has two more wins than him. They are all in the ballpark. NFL MVP is also a little different than the NBA's as everyone's judged by the same metrics in one. 

1 hour ago, NJniners said:

Lionel Messi and Michael Phelps would come first in my opinion. Then maybe Tom Brady. Ali is not even in the discussion, not even the best boxer of all time. Id take Marciano over Ali any day. Brady would duke it out with Marciano and Gretzky for the #3 spot in my opinion.

Uggghhh I have a lot of problems with that. For one Phelps is overinflated because his sport has so many different types of meets so he can have a saturated gold metal count. Like Brady would have well over 30 Lombardi trophy's if you had 7 or so chances to win one each year. I don't even think Phelps is the most tramcedent Olympian of his era compared to Bolt. 

And as someone whose spent plenty of time in Marciano's old stomping grounds where he is quite literally canonized, Ali/Lewis were better heavyweights overall. And Sugar Ray Robinson is most probably the best pound for pound fighter ever. Hell Mayweather is up their now too. Ali lost but he lost after being taken out of the game for awhile and it was in what many consider the most competive era of boxing history. 

Though I would say Brady and Ali are very similar when you look at how their careers played out in almost two halves and how after a great start they overcame a lull in the middle to go on arguably the greatest run of their career. 

4 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I wish Rodgers had a defense that allowed 5 less points per playoff game. 

With giving up 5 less points, still would of lost to the:

'16 Falcons
'15 Cardinals
'14 Seahawks
'12 49ers
'09 Cardinals

But hey that 2013 wildcard game you guys would have won.

Just now, gopherwrestler said:

With giving up 5 less points, still would of lost to the:

'16 Falcons
'15 Cardinals
'14 Seahawks
'12 49ers
'09 Cardinals

But hey that 2013 wildcard game you guys would have won.

Now how many of those games would the Packers have won if they gave up the AVERAGE amount of points the Patriots defense gave up?  Start with the beginning of the point so as not to take something out of context.  Otherwise...

Just now, HorizontoZenith said:

I wish Rodgers had a defense that allowed 5 less points per playoff game. 

Listen here's the deal dude, Rodgers had his chances and yeah sometimes his defense didn't come to play, but  he's not completely blameless in his teams lack of post season success. From 2008 on when Rodgers and Brady were both starting at the same time in the same era, they have virtually identical stats. Last year Brady's and Rodgers teams were down by huge margins against Atlanta, a lot of Rodgers stats their were over inflated because of the latter portion of the game when he was playing catch up and the game didn't really matter anymore, he did not play a great game that day. It might not have mattered in the end because of how hot Atlanta was, but Rodgers surely wasn't playing well enough to say he deserved to win in lieu of everyone else. Likewise he did not play a fantastic game against Arizona either and needed a lucky hail mary to go into overtime (and yeah in that game his defense held Arizona to 20 in regulation for him, he couldn't lead his offense to more points. We've already been over this, but the year before that his defense gave him 6 turnovers to put that game away when they had the chance and he played scared after his first interception and was terrified of testing Seattle even with Richard Sherman playing with one arm. He gets such a pass for a game where he had a 55 passer rating while his defense was lights on turnovers. The game was only close because of his defense. 2013, the Niner's were a really good team and they were held to 23 points again, the offense was held to 20. 

2012 is literally the only year in the post season where Rodgers played a fantastic game that he deserved to win and his defense crapped the bed so completely that he didn't have a shot. Even in 2011, yeah the Giants rocked you and scored points, here's the thing, Rodgers had a mediocre game and the Packers were held to 13 points on offense (sorry you aren't winning like that) until garbage time when they really had no chance to win. 

So no I don't feel bad for Rodgers. He could have played a lot better in most of his post season losses and maybe we'd be having a different discussion.  

Now how many of those games would the Packers have won if they gave up the AVERAGE amount of points the Patriots defense gave up?  Start with the beginning of the point so as not to take something out of context.  Otherwise...

I did.

You still said you wished the Packers defense let up 5 points less in your last post tho.

otherwise what?

How many would they have won if Rodgers didn't have an underwhelming game offensively? Against Arizona you did hold them to 20 points in regulation. The offense needed a hail mary to tie it up. That's an indictment on them. In 2014 you had 6 turnovers that essentially amounted to nothing. If your offense keeps squandering away opportunities like that, the other team is eventually going to score. In 2011, that would have been a very different game if the Packers offense wasn't inept against the Giants and didn't keep giving them opportunity after opportunity because they could only score 13 points before they got a garbage time TD. 

It's a very fluid game, and bad offensive play can have an impact on the final score. Rodgers did his defense no favors in 2011 and 2014 and if he played to his standard should have won those games. He didn't. In 2015 the defense did their job and gave Rodgers a manageable game and he could only manage 20 points in a lucky bid to tie it up and leave it up to fate in overtime.

Just now, gopherwrestler said:

I did.

You still said you wished the Packers defense let up 5 points less in your last post tho.

otherwise what?

Otherwise you look like an idiot.  This started with me pointing out that Brady's defense has allowed an average of 20 points a game in the playoffs.  Aaron Rodgers has not once in his postseason career scored less than 20 points.  Brady has scored less than 20 points 9 times. 

Packers defense has given up an average of 25 points a playoff game. 

The Patriots defense has given up what the Packers defense AVERAGES only 8 times. 

Just now, lancerman said:

How many would they have won if Rodgers didn't have an underwhelming game offensively? Against Arizona you did hold them to 20 points in regulation.

Refresh my memory, was that the year the Packers had an out of shape Eddie Lacy, Jeff Janis and Jared Abbrederis at receiver after Davante Adams, James Jones, Randall Cobb and Jordy Nelson were all injured? 

Huh.  How many times has Brady had to play a playoff game with his top 4 receiving options out of the game? 

And the Seahawks game.  Lol.  Tom Brady would have scored less if he had played Seattle in Seattle.  Don't act like he wouldn't have. 

Archived