The 2017 Receiving Corp, who's it going to be...?

vike daddy

47 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Wasn't Manning mostly playing with backup level talent given all the injuries.

Sort of. But really all that was lost was OBJ. Brandon Marshall hasn’t been relevant in a while, and wasn’t putting up anything while playing, and was even dropping passes. Sheppard was dropping stuff, and their rookie Engram led the league in TE drops I believe. 

Team just struggled all around at catching.

While this thread is on the 2017 WRs, let's talk about the 2018 WRs...

Wide receiver Laquon Treadwell, whose first two seasons in Minnesota have been disappointing, also could use a change of scenery. He has struggled to find a role among a loaded group of receivers. The Vikings could be proactive this offseason in looking for a place to trade him and could possibly pick up a mid-round draft pick in exchange. 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/page/32for32x180214/nfl-players-need-change-scenery-all-32-teams#NFC N

1 hour ago, gopherwrestler said:

Would be interesting to see if he could be enough trade bait to gain a 4th rounder to make up for that lost pick. 

I find it doubtful, could be interesting tho.

It would be great to get a fourth round pick for him. It might be tough to find a team willing to part with a pick that high for him but if the offer was there I would take it without hesitation.

I still wouldn’t take the pick for him. 

Treadwell’s numbers suggest a bad pick, but his tape consistently shows a guy who gets open, and is a great blocker, and who’s been a reliable target when given an opportunity.

Treadwell is still only 22, and with legit injury concerns regarding Diggs, I’d hate to lose the depth and potential, especially for the current price. 

Just now, SemperFeist said:

Treadwell’s numbers suggest a bad pick, but his tape consistently shows a guy who gets open, and is a great blocker, and who’s been a reliable target when given an opportunity.

Treadwell is still only 22, and with legit injury concerns regarding Diggs, I’d hate to lose the depth and potential, especially for the current price. 

thank you. giving up on the guy and under selling him? no thanks to that.

1 minute ago, SemperFeist said:

I get the depth argument but from what I have seen even when Thielan or Diggs is dinged Treadwell's involvement in the offense is fairly limited. If you can get a fourth round pick for a guy that you are using as a 4th WR on your depth chart you take it unless there is some reason to believe that he'll be moving up the depth chart. I believe that Thielan and Diggs are firmly entrenched as starters and don't see Treadwell passing Wright this year.

It happens every year, maybe because this is a draft site at its core, but I’ll never understand why fans value draft picks so much. Especially for mid-late round picks. 

If you’re intent on getting the 4th round pick back, you’re better off trading down a few spots and picking one up. 

1 minute ago, Cearbhall said:

I get the depth argument but from what I have seen even when Thielan or Diggs is dinged Treadwell's involvement in the offense is fairly limited. If you can get a fourth round pick for a guy that you are using as a 4th WR on your depth chart you take it unless there is some reason to believe that he'll be moving up the depth chart. I believe that Thielan and Diggs are firmly entrenched as starters and don't see Treadwell passing Wright this year.

Treadwell played more than Wright by nearly twice as many snaps (500 to 254). I’d say he’s already surpassed him on the depth chart.

Just now, SemperFeist said:

It happens every year, maybe because this is a draft site at its core, but I’ll never understand why fans value draft picks so much. Especially for mid-late round picks. 

If you’re intent on getting the 4th round pick back, you’re better off trading down a few spots and picking one up. 

Perhaps. It is hard to gauge the value of draft picks. I would submit that in the salary cap era it is very important to always have an inflow of cheap useful labor to put around a team's core. It is not possible to pay every position above average salaries so a team needs to find where they can get some cheap starters and depth too. However, for me it is more a case of not seeing much value in keeping Treadwell on the roster than valuing the draft pick highly.

Treadwell is already 2 years into his cheap years and it seems unlikely to me that he'll be brought back after the first four given the situation on the team.

1 minute ago, SemperFeist said:

Treadwell played more than Wright by nearly twice as many snaps (500 to 254). I’d say he’s already surpassed him on the depth chart.

That is interesting. This is a fact that I believe someone told me earlier that I had lost track of. The team gets a lot better production out of Wright in the snaps he plays than the production they get out of Treadwell. Treadwell does seem to be a very good run blocker and he had one outstanding catch this year. Perhaps the team thinks with more use he'll have a few more catches like that in the next couple years.

Archived