NFL News & Notes

Leader

11 minutes ago, Leader said:

It's gonna come down cost/revenue calculations.

This is why I ******* hate Rodger Goddell. There are more injuries on turf, it's not a debate. On grass, everybody is slowed down the same amount. It's the same for everybody, but SAFER. That guy is such a douchebag. 

1 minute ago, Old Guy said:

This is why I ******* hate Rodger Goddell. There are more injuries on turf, it's not a debate. On grass, everybody is slowed down the same amount. It's the same for everybody, but SAFER. That guy is such a douchebag. 

Again...it's not a safety question. It's dollars and cents...and so far nobody's proven to me that the cost of injured players exceeds the revenue these stadiums bring in.

Edited by Leader

Just now, Old Guy said:

I envy his job.  He makes multi-millions to be like that.  "Hey, everyone I'm the bad guy!"  I'll be the bad guy for like 1 million per year.

Just now, Leader said:

Again...it's not a safety question. It's dollars and sense...and so far nobody's proven to me that the cost of injured players exceeds the revenue these stadiums bring in.

I like you, so let me get that out of the way first. This is one of the dumbest posts I've read recently. Nobody has to prove anything to you. 

Owners preach about making the game safer, but you never hear the real disclaimer. That disclaimer is, only if it is cost effective. Otherwise, **** the players safety. 

It's like the gambling rules where players can't gamble from the locker room, but step outside the building it's safe. While they line their pockets with millions by allowing sports booking companies to advertise during games. 

Goodell is a piece of **** and so are the 31 owners. 

Just now, Old Guy said:

I like you, so let me get that out of the way first. This is one of the dumbest posts I've read recently. Nobody has to prove anything to you.

LOL. Okay...bad word choice on my part.

Somebody has to consider and calculate the costs.

Is that okay?

4 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Owners preach about making the game safer, but you never hear the real disclaimer. That disclaimer is, only if it is cost effective. Otherwise, **** the players safety. 

It's like the gambling rules where players can't gamble from the locker room, but step outside the building it's safe. While they line their pockets with millions by allowing sports booking companies to advertise during games. 

Goodell is a piece of **** and so are the 31 owners. 

And when players and fans are complaining about playing conditions on fields like Soldier Field and FedEx Field, they are being two-faced.

Just now, Leader said:

LOL. Okay...bad word choice on my part.

Somebody has to consider and calculate the costs.

Is that okay?

Why are their costs associated with the safety of players? I get where dome teams will be hard pressed or maybe can't do this. If they have a retractable roof or it's an outdoor stadium, it should be mandatory they have grass. 

Not sure how many are just domes with no real chance to grow grass, but it would be fewer turf fields than we have now. 

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

And when players and fans are complaining about playing conditions on fields like Soldier Field and FedEx Field, they are being two-faced.

The question remains why can't they grow grass there properly? I've been to both places. The surrounding areas grow grass just fine. Why can't a NFL team with an agronomist grow grass? 

That is a legitimate question. 

Just now, Old Guy said:

The question remains why can't they grow grass there properly? I've been to both places. The surrounding areas grow grass just fine. Why can't a NFL team with an agronomist grow grass? 

That is a legitimate question. 

So it's either pure negligence by a multi-billion dollar franchise or...

6 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Why are their costs associated with the safety of players? 

Good...what are those costs?

For the sake of discussion, lets presume the football owners get all the stadium revenue...or share a portion of it with the league....and maybe some with the city. I dont know.

So - whats gonna fatten their bottom line the most?

Football game on Sunday.
Tracker pull on Tuesday.
Concert on Friday.
Something else on the following Wednesday.
Another football game on Sunday.

That's A LOT of cash to offset the cost of player injuries....which I believe are insured anyway.

Edited by Leader

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

So it's either pure negligence by a multi-billion dollar franchise or...

Not saying negligence, maybe it's incompetence. Do they allow other teams to use those venues for games? Maybe it's overuse. 

Green Bay seems to do a decent job of keeping grass on the field most of the year. 

1 minute ago, Leader said:

That's A LOT of cash to offset the cost of player injuries....which I believe are insured anyway.

You talk like they are cars you can just send to the scrap heap and get a new one. Sadly, this seems to be many of the owners takes as well. 

1 minute ago, Old Guy said:

You talk like they are cars you can just send to the scrap heap and get a new one. Sadly, this seems to be many of the owners takes as well. 

Do you know how many players are injured on a yearly basis - that injury directly attributable to the playing surface?

THATS the player cost we're talking about here.