NFL News & Notes

Leader

7 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I was thinking this way too, similar results to last year, but the Jets schedule is brutal this year.  In addition to division games they have the Cowboys, Chiefs, Broncos, Eagles, Giants, Chargers, Raiders, Commanders, Texans, and Browns.  There's like 3 wins in there.

Lol, only 3?  I see 5 maybe 7

6 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

I played on a brand new college turf field, nice isn't what Id call it. Pellets in all orifices, turf burns, cleats catching when you don't want them to. It was a hype fad for it's sharp look and low maintenance, it's fast to play on but I'd rather be tackled on grass any day of the week. 

It's a player safety issue, they shouldn't have to make concessions on that. You sound like a total suit taking that stance. The NFL is going to get hit massively hard in the ratings game until they can flex the Jets out of primetime. Money is made when the best product is on the field.

They know what they play on. If they want better bargain for it in the next deal

52 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

my point is that these are players who would have made it with/without the program.  They are NFL caliber players who are on teams and would be regardless.

Adding a special affirmative action spot for international players may cause teams to dig a little bit deeper, but they are already looking for football players to play on their football team.  The same result could be accomplished by adding an extra practice squad spot that isn't designated for international players.

I don’t know that they would have. The only thing certain is these guys got their shot through the program and some of them made it. A lot of them might not have gotten their foot in the door or even been able to leave their country for a tryout without the program.  It can only help the game to have that spot for developmental guys. It helps the League to build international interest.

Edited by Refugee
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

They know what they play on. If they want better bargain for it in the next deal

Spoken like a true Bourgeois talking about the proletariat. 

What are the players options? Stop participating in something that brings them and their family wealth?

**** them and their feelings. Why should they care about their health and safety? Think of the poor billionaires’ bottom-line. 

Edited by Bcv
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, Bcv said:

What are the players options? Stop participating in something that brings them and their family wealth?

**** them and their feelings. Why should they care about their health and safety? Think of the poor billionaires’ bottom-line. 

As right as you might be, and while internet trash talk is pretty much the fullest extent of your personal power on the matter... is that really what you want your contribution to be?

The cost of such changes as would be needed simply make this an issue the ownership will not willingly touch on their own. Even if there was a change or two, the price will never purely come from an owner's pocket, and that's for something like switching out a turf in an open stadium for grass. Crap like domes are significantly more complicated and expensive. But you know all this, given the venom of your retort.

3 minutes ago, Zycho32 said:

As right as you might be, and while internet trash talk is pretty much the fullest extent of your personal power on the matter... is that really what you want your contribution to be?

The cost of such changes as would be needed simply make this an issue the ownership will not willingly touch on their own. Even if there was a change or two, the price will never purely come from an owner's pocket, and that's for something like switching out a turf in an open stadium for grass. Crap like domes are significantly more complicated and expensive. But you know all this, given the venom of your retort.

There’s not a simple fix, and of course guys get hurt on pristine grass fields, but something has got to give because these guys are putting their body on the line and it hurts the product as well as the human cost.  Even if it was just a more optimal artificial surface and some data to back up the improved safety the NFLPA could claim a win. Domes are not easy to cultivate unless they have the movable field. Nothing will change overnight but I think there will be a push to make some changes. 

1 hour ago, Bcv said:

Commie

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Zycho32 said:

My contribution is rooting for what’s best for the players and for the fans.

10 hours ago, Bcv said:

That’s BS. They collectively bargain for all nature of things. They could have made a push for this years ago. I’ve been hearing the players ***** about this since Eddie Lee Ivory tore up his knee. How many contracts have come up since then?  Fight for all outdoor stadiums be played on the surface they want etc.

18 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

I played on a brand new college turf field, nice isn't what Id call it. Pellets in all orifices, turf burns, cleats catching when you don't want them to. It was a hype fad for it's sharp look and low maintenance, it's fast to play on but I'd rather be tackled on grass any day of the week. 

It's a player safety issue, they shouldn't have to make concessions on that. You sound like a total suit taking that stance. The NFL is going to get hit massively hard in the ratings game until they can flex the Jets out of primetime. Money is made when the best product is on the field.

Everybody has played on pellet fields.

Take a shower, the pellets come right off 

You're being over dramatic about turf burns. That **** isn't astroturf.

As far as cleats getting stuck, that happens on grass fields too. These are professional athletes, they should be wearing cleats most constructive to playing on that surface. 

+++

It's a player safety issue in the same way that in a kitchen, having a $400 chef's knife is a safety issue only when compared to not having a $500 chef's knife. 

As far as sounding like a suit, yeah, this is a suit issue. If this was really something players cared about, they would have negotiated for it in the CBA. They did not because they don't care about it enough to trade anything for it. 

Edited by AlexGreen#20

Even Bakhtiari, who had been the biggest advocate for grass fields in the league will admit the players are NOT united on this issue. Lots of players love the pellet turf.

Bakhtiari is biased here because it's easier for him to play on grass because DEs can't generate as much force to hit him with or bend as sharply as they could on turf. 

+++

As far as this being a safety issue, how far are we willing to run with that excuse? If ten years from now, the players say that tackling is a safety issue, do we switch to flags? 

I know it seems ridiculous, but I see this at work all the time where everything down to the lack of airhockey table in the lunch room is deemed a safety issue because it will occasionally generate some traction. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Even Bakhtiari, who had been the biggest advocate for grass fields in the league will admit the players are NOT united on this issue. Lots of players love the pellet turf.

Bakhtiari is biased here because it's easier for him to play on grass because DEs can't generate as much force to hit him with or bend as sharply as they could on turf. 

+++

As far as this being a safety issue, how far are we willing to run with that excuse? If ten years from now, the players say that tackling is a safety issue, do we switch to flags? 

I know it seems ridiculous, but I see this at work all the time where everything down to the lack of airhockey table in the lunch room is deemed a safety issue because it will occasionally generate some traction. 

I think its a risk mitigation issue and frankly a very easy one to resolve. Use statistics over the last 5 to 10 years and figure out if one field is more prone to injuries then others and then remove that type of field for a safer alternative. This isn't rocket science here. Since your talking the home team here teams should have a vested interest in keeping their own teams healthy. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

+++

we should do at least as much to make it safer as was done with helmets, safety matters