NFL News & Notes

Leader

9 minutes ago, Leader said:

It's the Derek Carr treatment.

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy! He's the biggest fraud in the NFL. Somebody will believe the hype and he'll get another big payday though, watch. It will be more than Derrick Carr is getting too. 

I do think they will have a 49 million dollar cap his in 2025 from his roster bonuses, unless they somehow can turn those into void years and spread it out. 

Edited by Old Guy

20 minutes ago, Leader said:

It's the Derek Carr treatment.

So the offseason QB market will include Russell and Carr, this means Fields has some competition if any team thinks they want a reclamation project. Jets QB Wilson and former Darnold also should be out there. One name that will not be on the open market: Love. 

10 minutes ago, Refugee said:

So the offseason QB market will include Russell and Carr, this means Fields has some competition if any team thinks they want a reclamation project. Jets QB Wilson and former Darnold also should be out there. One name that will not be on the open market: Love. 

I think Fields has shown enough the past few weeks that the Bears will hold onto him and trade the #1 pick for a fortune 

2 minutes ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

I think Fields has shown enough the past few weeks that the Bears will hold onto him and trade the #1 pick for a fortune 

I know Bears are improved but I think it’s their defense that has kept them rolling. If they believe he’s the guy, more power to them but it has been ugly and inconsistent to get to this point. They are flush with draft capital so there’s really no way to screw up this draft except for not coming out of it with a decent QB.  I don’t believe that is Fields. 

26 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

In before @MacReady posts in here how we need to trade Jordan Love to Denver for 3 first round picks and some players.

You know I’m right.

The only mistake the Seahawks made was doubling down on a journeyman QB who had a great season with a great cast.

QB is not the most overrated position in football, but it is easily the most overvalued.

The overall cost of keeping is significantly worse than the cost of trading.

The value of the cap savings plus draft capital acquired plus the value of a 5 year rookie contract QB is astronomical.

The Texans did it and now they’re the most promising team in the NFL.

If you fail and get a Bryce Young, this way costs you two years.

If your top 5 QB sucks his rookie year, you fire your coach and still have 4 years.

1 year to install system.

2nd year to make playoffs.

3rd year to get further in the playoffs.

4th year to load up and put all your chips in that year’s basket.

Tag and trade in the fifth year.

33 minutes ago, Refugee said:

I know Bears are improved but I think it’s their defense that has kept them rolling. If they believe he’s the guy, more power to them but it has been ugly and inconsistent to get to this point. They are flush with draft capital so there’s really no way to screw up this draft except for not coming out of it with a decent QB.  I don’t believe that is Fields. 

The Bears have played pretty good ball since about mid-November.  And they have won 4 of their last 6, with their losses to the Lions and Browns, two playoff teams.  I really liked what they did in the 2023 draft.  I don't think that Fields is the guy, but they could absolutely be worse.  The thing is, if they don't use this opportunity to get Williams, I think they can build a good enough roster with the rest of their draft capital that they won't have that kind of opportunity again.