NFL News & Notes

Leader

I'm actually fine with the rule. It doesnt happen all that often...but when it does....oh well, ball goes to he other team. Move on. Deal with it...primarily by not fumbling it thru the EZ.

Edited by Leader
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Leader said:

I'm actually fine with the rule. It doesnt happen all that often...but when it does....oh well, ball goes to he other team. Move on. Deal with it...primarily by not fumbling it thru the EZ.

I don't hate that rule.  In fact, I really like that rule.  The one thing that punishes an offense that the league still does.  Don't like the rule? Stop fumbling near the goal line.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I don't hate that rule.  In fact, I really like that rule.  The one thing that punishes an offense that the league still does.  Don't like the rule? Stop fumbling near the goal line.

Great point Dave and the other thing that erks me is those that piss on the rule have few alternatives. They fumbled out of the end zone, don't do it. Get both hands on it and make it count. But if you don't like the rule come up with something other than penalizing the defense for what could be a great play. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PACKRULE said:

Great point Dave and the other thing that erks me is those that piss on the rule have few alternatives. They fumbled out of the end zone, don't do it. Get both hands on it and make it count. But if you don't like the rule come up with something other than penalizing the defense for what could be a great play. 

The fallback option that I've read is to let the offense maintain possession but move the ball back to the 20 with loss of down.

16 minutes ago, Eternal said:

Has the NFL leak picture been debunked yet anywhere about Ravens and 49ers in Super Bowl? I imagine it's from 2013 with date modified

No, it's a news company simply using both #1 seeds as placeholders for the graphic when they created it.

48 minutes ago, Leader said:

The fallback option that I've read is to let the offense maintain possession but move the ball back to the 20 with loss of down.

thanks Leader I did read that in a quick thread somewhere earlier. Not many have options just complaints so hence my comment. Is that a big enough penalty in this case though is it first and goal only with no option for a first down. Maybe they get like a 3rd down only option but heck they get a PI int he EZ and boom there at the 1 again. 

I like the rule to be honest don't fumble it it's one of those things that just will never be great just like OT. 

6 minutes ago, PACKRULE said:

thanks Leader I did read that in a quick thread somewhere earlier. Not many have options just complaints so hence my comment. Is that a big enough penalty in this case though is it first and goal only with no option for a first down. Maybe they get like a 3rd down only option but heck they get a PI int he EZ and boom there at the 1 again. 

I like the rule to be honest don't fumble it it's one of those things that just will never be great just like OT. 

The major complaint is the loss of possession. If the offense fumbles the ball out of bound on the field of play - it's loss of down, but control is maintained at the point it goes out.

So the proposed change would mimic the same....but since it occurred in the EZ...an arbitrary LOS is proposed - in this case, the 20. If the league goes this route, they could make it some other start point - but I dont think it should be closer than the 5 personally. 

12 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

The only sensible solution is to give the ball back to the offense at the spot of the fumble.

Oh hard disagree, fumbling into the endzone is like taking a submersible just a bit too deep into the ocean, irretrievable for the fumbling party. Someone elses turn to handle the rock. Offending party is ded.