NFL News & Notes

Leader

38 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

no it was a weird trade by minnesota. 

Giving up 42, 188, and 33-42* FOR 23 + 232 is bad process for a rebuilding team.  Doubly so since you don't know what you are getting for 23 right now until the other 22 picks come off the board.

17 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

You can't rebuild with bridge QBs. Minnesota won't be drafting at 11 or 23. They will trade up.

I think the Vikings won the trade with Houston. 11 & 23 could get you to pick 3-4 according to the trade chart. If it's Jayden Daniels, I'd surely try and move up. The problem is the teams as 1, 2, and 3 are taking quarterbacks. If one of them don't, you move to 4 and hope Jayden Daniels is the one left. 

If the Vikings get their QB of the future, then the trade with Houston turns into a landslide in their favor. 

I'm personally not enamored with Drake Maye. 

Edited by Old Guy
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

why can't they just trade 2 2nds to move up to 5 or 7 or wherever they want?  It's weird to have to give up these picks now and possibly not be able to swing the deal later.

The two first, in theory, get them in between 3-4. If they are in love with 4 quarterbacks in the draft it makes perfect sense. If Williams, Maye and Daniels go 1 - 2 - 3 as expected, they wind up with a high risk consolation prize. 

McCarthy, Penix and Nix are way over drafted in the top 10 IMO. 

Edited by Old Guy

5 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

why can't they just trade 2 2nds to move up to 5 or 7 or wherever they want?  It's weird to have to give up these picks now and possibly not be able to swing the deal later.

Because they are putting themselves in better position to make a move than wait and maybe not have enough ammo to get the guy they want.

But nothing is guaranteed unless you own pick 1.1.

• Like 2

Jacob Nierob -  Justin Herbert has completed 1638 passes for 17,496 Passing Yards and 115 TDs in his 4 year career.

Keenan Allen, Mike Williams, and Austin Ekeler caught 839 of those passes for 9,102 Rec Yards and 58 TDs.

Keenan Allen, Mike Williams, and Austin Ekeler are no longer there.

12 minutes ago, Leader said:

Jacob Nierob -  Justin Herbert has completed 1638 passes for 17,496 Passing Yards and 115 TDs in his 4 year career.

Keenan Allen, Mike Williams, and Austin Ekeler caught 839 of those passes for 9,102 Rec Yards and 58 TDs.

Keenan Allen, Mike Williams, and Austin Ekeler are no longer there.

Interesting that Harbaugh and staff made sure they kept Bosa and Mack. 

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

And let Sam Darnold run the show? That is what a GM who wants to get fired would do. 

1 hour ago, HokieHigh said:

And aaron jones. Man that offense would cause problems if they had a guy who could spin it

What is the level of QB that couldn't win with that set-up?  Probably Sam Darnold can't, I would not argue that, but go get Davis Mills or something.  

48 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Because they are putting themselves in better position to make a move than wait and maybe not have enough ammo to get the guy they want.

But nothing is guaranteed unless you own pick 1.1.

Agree, this at least provides them the opportunity to try and move up and go after their guy. I suspect the NFC Notth will have two new top five QB’s this year.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

What is the level of QB that couldn't win with that set-up?  Probably Sam Darnold can't, I would not argue that, but go get Davis Mills or something.  

I think the Vikings are targeting JJ McCarthy or Michael Penix. I still don't think they have the juice to get into the top 3. 

For next year, out of what is left, Garoppolo maybe. They've already paid Darnold though. 

4 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

yeah weird timing on that MIN trade

if I'm a potential trade partner now, I make damn sure MIN is paying an absolute premium to move up any higher. They just advertised their move.

The Bills did this in 2018. Did they pay a premium back then too to get Allen?