NFL News & Notes

Leader

7 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Someone is likely going to salvage Bryce Young, but it's probably not us.

The Sam Darnold thing in Minnesota and the Baker Mayfield thing in Tampa are going to get other decent teams to give highly drafted QBs who failed at their first stop another shot.

I don't know that I'd call what Baker did in Cleveland a failure. I actually thought they were bringing him back. Instead, they did a Cleveland Brown thing and traded away the farm for Watson. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Someone is likely going to salvage Bryce Young, but it's probably not us.

The Sam Darnold thing in Minnesota and the Baker Mayfield thing in Tampa are going to get other decent teams to give highly drafted QBs who failed at their first stop another shot.

I don't know if they'd do it, but.....  I could see Young going to the 49ers at some point and time.  I could see him as a backup there, while learning how to play in the league.  

I could also see him here, backing up and learning.  Sane if applies......(GB wanting him).

I could see Mac wanting him, too.  Just not sure if Mac is long for Dallas.  Feeling like Young has more QB talent than Lance.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

I had no idea this cap loophole existed.  Sounds like the Love injury may get GB some extra cap room for next season.

Why insuring star players has become a source of NFL tension

EDIT: This adds yet another LOL element to how the Jets handled the Rodgers trade.

That was just an excellent read.  Thank you for posting it.  

If you haven't read it, you really need to.  It's the business side of the game, and it is facinating.

Plus, it shows how foolish the JETS and Douglas are and were, so there is that fun element.  While also showing how smart the Packers are and were.

44 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I don't know if they'd do it, but.....  I could see Young going to the 49ers at some point and time.  I could see him as a backup there, while learning how to play in the league.  

I could also see him here, backing up and learning.  Sane if applies......(GB wanting him).

I could see Mac wanting him, too.  Just not sure if Mac is long for Dallas.  Feeling like Young has more QB talent than Lance.

I could see all of this. The problem is Young's money is all guaranteed through 2026. The acquiring team is going to have to pay him a guaranteed salary of 5.2 and 7 million a year in 2025 and 2026. That is a bit pricy for a salvage job. 

The Cowboys are paying Lance 5.3 this year and he's 3rd string behind Cooper Rush. They have ZERO chance of retaining him this off season after giving Prescott that deal. 

That will be any team's dilemma with Young. A bit pricy for a kid who you wouldn't want on the field in 2025 at all. 

Bryce Young Contract Details, Salary Cap Charges, Bonus Money, and Contract History | Over The Cap

Edited by Old Guy

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I was listening to Bill Barnwell and I can't remember if it was Barnwell or Ben Solak (either way, it was a sportswriter who knows his stuff) suggested that Mike McDaniel in Miami could salvage Young. 

20 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

If you're the Panthers, and the 49ers offer you Brock Purdy for Bryce Young in the offseason, are you saying no?  2025 is the last year in which Purdy is cheap and I'm not convinced that's a guy you want to give a market rate deal to.

I put the odds of SF not paying Purdy a market rate contract at 0.0%

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Old Guy said:

I could see all of this. The problem is Young's money is all guaranteed through 2026. The acquiring team is going to have to pay him a guaranteed salary of 5.2 and 7 million a year in 2025 and 2026. That is a bit pricy for a salvage job. 

The Cowboys are paying Lance 5.3 this year and he's 3rd string behind Cooper Rush. They have ZERO chance of retaining him this off season after giving Prescott that deal. 

That will be any team's dilemma with Young. A bit pricy for a kid who you wouldn't want on the field in 2025 at all. 

Bryce Young Contract Details, Salary Cap Charges, Bonus Money, and Contract History | Over The Cap

I don't feel like money is much of an issue.  While those are higher numbers for a salvage project at QB, I guess the risk versus reward boils down to your evaluation of him when coming out.  Because, there are many ways to "find" that money, or get the other team to eat some of that money.  But it all boils down to how you viewed him in the draft, and how he fits your organization.  And I would dare to say that for every one team who shrugs their shoulders and says "Why not?", there are 3 or 4 clubs that would nope out of him real fast.

6 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

I had no idea this cap loophole existed.  Sounds like the Love injury may get GB some extra cap room for next season.

Why insuring star players has become a source of NFL tension

EDIT: This adds yet another LOL element to how the Jets handled the Rodgers trade.

what a strange strange piece of the CBA.

Hopefully this is a loophole that gets re-worked.  In the grand scheme of things if it really takes off this would make GB potentially at a disadvantage to other more cash-rich teams.  If the new norm becomes insuring literally every player... not sure GB could keep up.

Good to see the Packers are participating, at least with Love.

I would like to see the NFLPA participate in the insurance process and insure every player's contract.

16 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

what a strange strange piece of the CBA.

Hopefully this is a loophole that gets re-worked.  In the grand scheme of things if it really takes off this would make GB potentially at a disadvantage to other more cash-rich teams.  If the new norm becomes insuring literally every player... not sure GB could keep up.

Good to see the Packers are participating, at least with Love.

I would like to see the NFLPA participate in the insurance process and insure every player's contract.

Why would they do that? These insurance policies are extremely expensive. I don't think the NFLPA has the money to insure every contract. They could negotiate in the next CPB players who can't get medical clearance to continue, their contract becomes fully guaranteed.