NFL News & Notes

Leader

9 hours ago, Brat&Beer said:

Coaches on the hot seat?

Robert Saleh of the Jets already incinerated.

Mike McCarthy - Dallas: Cowboys 3-3 after losing 47-9 to Detroit at home. McCarthy is in the last year of his contract. In 2010 Jerry Jones fired Wade Phillips during the season following a 45-7 loss to McCarthy's Packers.

Doug Pederson - Jaguars. Jaguars are 1-5. Pederson in his 4th year, has made the playoffs once. Has a highly paid, underachieving QB. Since winning SB with Eagles in 2017, Pederson is 41-47-1.

Dennis Allen - New Orleans Saints - 2-4 after todays loss. In his 3rd season. Has not made playoffs despite being in NFL's weakest division. 18-22 overall.

Kevin Stefanski - Cleveland. 1-5 so far this year. In his 5th year, has made playoffs twice, without a playoff win. Stuck with a bad, overpaid QB, but team has been a major disappointment this year.

Brian Daboll - NY Giants - Currently 2-3. 17-21-1 in 2+ years. Since Tom Coughlin retired, Giants have not stuck with coaches very long.

I think they would probably feel relieved, all of them.

McCarthy has to deal with GM Jones, what a **** show. You read the articles about yesterday's game and Jerry Jones is the one quoted more than the HC. Name another team like that? 

Stefanski has an albatross of a contract for a ****ty quarterback, both on the field and in real life. No chance he can win there, ZERO. 

Allen is not very good anyway. Not sure why he got the gig in the first place. 

Daboll has Jones for his quarterback. Enough said. 

Pederson is a mystery to me. Then you look at the roster and see a lack of talent. 

Edited by Old Guy

8 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

I think Stefanski is probably the only name on that list who will be in the same place a year from now.

It's a weird situation, since he's probably being told directly by his boss that he can, under no condition, bench Watson, but I'm not sure he's able to extract job security from this if things get even worse.

1 minute ago, PossibleCabbage said:

It's a weird situation, since he's probably being told directly by his boss that he can, under no condition, bench Watson, but I'm not sure he's able to extract job security from this if things get even worse.

The thing is, Stefanski just signed a contract extension in June.  I have to guess CLE would be paying him lots (LOTS!) of money to not coach the Browns if they cut him loose after the season.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I would just call Haslam's bluff at that point.  Stefanski gets paid whether they fire him or keep him so he has nothing to lose except more games.  No sense in further destroying the locker room by continuing to run that turd out on the field.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

The thing is, Stefanski just signed a contract extension in June.  I have to guess CLE would be paying him lots (LOTS!) of money to not coach the Browns if they cut him loose after the season.

3 minutes ago, MaximusGluteus said:

I would just call Haslam's bluff at that point.  Stefanski gets paid whether they fire him or keep him so he has nothing to lose except more games.  No sense in further destroying the locker room by continuing to run that turd out on the field.

Put Winston out there, win the game and let him fire you! It would be glorious! 

It is not hindsight to say, you don't trade for somebody with that low of character. Then to pay him that kind of money. Like the saying goes, 'you reap what you sow!" 

The wild thing is that CLE made the late run into the playoffs last season with Flacco at QB, and then let him walk in FA with no real effort to bring him back.  Flacco signed a cheap(ish) one-year deal with IND a day after CLE signed Winston to an even cheaper one-year deal.  CLE has loads of cap space, and easily could have brought Flacco back had they wanted to.

9 hours ago, Old Guy said:

I think they would probably feel relieved, all of them.

McCarthy has to deal with GM Jones, what a **** show. You read the articles about yesterday's game and Jerry Jones is the one quoted more than the HC. Name another team like that? 

Stefanski has an albatross of a contract for a ****ty quarterback, both on the field and in real life. No chance he can win there, ZERO. 

Allen is not very good anyway. Not sure why he got the gig in the first place. 

Daboll has Jones for his quarterback. Enough said. 

Pederson is a mystery to me. Then you look at the roster and see a lack of talent. 

The way the Jags are getting rolled smells of a HC that’s lost control. I’d surprised if he’s not the first firing. 

1 minute ago, Leader said:

The way the Jags are getting rolled smells of a HC that’s lost control. I’d surprised if he’s not the first firing. 

Well, Saleh already too k that prize. 

If you look at the rest of them, he might be next. Hope it's the week after we play them.