Free Agent Possibilities

VigilantZombie

2 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I honestly don’t think McCullers would make much of a difference. Too tall and not flexible enough to get low and keep leverage. 

That is an unknown.  What I do know is that whatever and whoever they were using it wasn't working.

15 minutes ago, skywlker32 said:

I agree for the most part. I think Mt. McCullers can get push up the middle when motivated and clog the middle, but he has no range either.

The most range I'd want from a big guy like McCullers is from Guard to Guard.  Its a bonus if they can from Tackle to Tackle.

Just now, skywlker32 said:

And lose any effectiveness to anything off tackle?

A DT that makes plays outside the C gap is a something special.  I expect my DEs, LBs, CBs, Safeties to fill those lanes and get he tackle.  That being said, I like all men hustling to the ball at all times.

Just now, armsteeld said:

A DT that makes plays outside the C gap is a something special.  I expect my DEs, LBs, CBs, Safeties to fill those lanes and get he tackle.  That being said, I like all men hustling to the ball at all times.

That's the thing though, they could pretty much unbock McCullers for off tackle runs, Leaving an extra blocker to the side.

9 minutes ago, skywlker32 said:

That's the thing though, they could pretty much unbock McCullers for off tackle runs, Leaving an extra blocker to the side.

That's the normal for most outside running plays.  But if the containment guys do their job it forces the play back to the unblocked defender.  Steelers have lacked containment guys since Harrison started losing his speed/quickness.

McCuller's issues go back to college. A massive man like that SHOULD be able to get some push and command a double team. This doesn't happen very often. He wasn't called "Big for nothing" during his Vols days for no reason. He has similar size to James Henderson who was an absolute monster on a 4-3 line. McCuller's lacks technique AND intensity. Only one is coachable. 

few things.

I'm not advocating for 4-3 but knowing the Steelers aren't going to pull the card off Shazier until they know he absolutely isn't coming back, that's just Steelers' way. 

I'd try to target two FAs; a pure pass rusher and free safety.

Fortunately, we have a good class of pass rushers in the free agency that can play in the dirt.

William Hayes, Alex Okafor, Marcus Smith, Koly Ealy, or Will Clarke

Then for the free safety; I am absolutely projecting us to draft one in top 2 rounds, so I expect a cheap stop-gap veteran.

Cody Davis, Kenny Vaccaro, Nate Allen, or Tavon Wilson.

I didn't include others because I don't see them leaving their teams. 

Why I am targeting the 4-3 pass rushers; like I said, I don't expect them to pull the plug on Shazier yet so we are technically leaving a hole open at Shazier's position. Instead of doing more of 2-4-5, this allows us to attack more from the 4-2-5 and this should provide us better QB pressures, heck it may be worth trying to see if this improves in the running downs too. 

(bold are the ones I think we actually are going after, just... a hunch, also seem like good fits along with signing for dirt cheap)

On 1/17/2018 at 10:54 PM, Money said:

Seems the theme will be defense and for good reason. We have no cap when we sign Bell. I'm now up to 5 years, $85m. However, we can get a few cuts and restructures and I'll gives those now.

Tuitt - take 7.5m roster bonus plus 2.5m salary convert to a signing bonus and spread over 5 years remaining on the contract. That is exactly what they will do and that's why the numbers are what they are. Saves $8m [(7.5 + 2.5)/5] .... [10- 2= 8]

Brown - go to the bank of Brown and this time I can't guarantee this is what they would do, but this is what I would do. I'll take $6m roster bonus plus $6m of his salary and convert that to a signing bonus and spread (amortize) that over the life of the remaining contract to get AB 2018 cap figure of $8,675,000. Saves $9m on 2018 cap [(6 + 6)/4] = 3 ..... 12-9 = 3. Keep in mind 3...3...3...3 goes on every subsequent year so it doesn't go away but it pushed to future years.

Cut ****h**e 1 Mike Mitchell. By designating him a June 1 designation. I can cut his remaining signing bonus pro-ration into two. It sits at $3,135,418 so cut into two is $1,566,709. So by cutting Mike Mitchell I save his salary $5m (because he's cut) plus the $1,566,709. So Mike Mitchell saves $6,566,709. This works this way because he only has one year remaining and that is next year.

Cut ****h**e 2 JJ Wilcox. What the hell designate him a June 1 designation as well. You get two of these. I can cut his remaining signing bonus ratin into two. It sits at $675,000 so cut into two is $337,500. So by cutting JJ Wilcox I save his salary $3,125,000 (because he's cut) plus the $337,500. So JJ Wilcox the holding machine saves $3,462,500

Cut William Gay. Wilcox or him could get the June 1 designation but it doesn't really matter anyway. If I cut William Gay I take his cap figure and my savings would be his salary because he's in the final year of his deal. So his salary + signing bonus pro-ration makes up his cap figure. Take his salary $1,750,000 plus his signing bonus pro-ration $633,334 = $2,383,334. So if I just flat out cut William Gay tomorrow I save $1,750,000. Remember now that $633,334 would be "dead money" so he's technically still on the cap but just for less money.

I'm not done yet. I got one more. Did Vance McDonald set a record for most TE receptions by a Steeler in a playoff game. Might have gone unnoticed. He had to have at least ten receptions. Anyway, this is a restructure. It makes sense because he has no signing bonus pro-ration because the 49ers have that in dead money. Kinda like how the Pirates are paying the Giants to take on Cutch's salary. Another time for how asinine that was. I'll take his roster bonus (750k) plus workout bonus (150K) plus salary (2.7m) and turn that into a signing bonus and spread out (amortize) the life of the contract. Salary $1m + 900k = $1.9m cap figure for 2018. Vance McDonald restructure saves $2,700,000

I'm still not done. Coty Sensabaugh sucks. So I'll just flat out cut him. Saving $1,400,000

Remember, we can still save more with Ben and/or DeCastro. But DeCastro is the only one I'd consider bc he's got the roster bonus and Ben is running out of time so spreading out his money could hurt you. That being said I'm fine with opening up $32,879,209

There's no longer a question if you can sign Bell.

Free Agents

As for free agents, first off I don't think I exercise Bud Dupree's fifth year option. He will play out this season. I do like Ziggy Ansah as a pass rush guy and I also like Jeremiah Attaochu. I like Aaron Lynch and even Dion Jordan for a minimum type deal. These aren't the problems. The problem is still coaching. And it will always be coaching until change happens.

EDGE - Ziggy Ansah, Jeremiah Attaochu, Aaron Lynch, Dion Jordan

CB - Justin Coleman - Solid depth signing. Liked him coming out of Tennessee and played well this year.

Safety - Kenny Vaccaro, Eric Reid, LaMarcus Joyner

ILB - Zach Brown, Sean Weatherspoon

DT - Dontari Poe, Sheldon Richardson. Dominique Easley

Two or three of these guys and we have ever more talent that the rest of the league.

It's going to come down to coaching. How much talent does a roster have to have to be champions? I'll lose you here but even Sir Alex Ferguson took Manchester United to champions of the Premier League his final season before retiring with the same talent that the next manager was fired for six months into a six year contract. It's about maximizing the talent with which you are given. That's the job of the leader. You don't think Mike Tomlin is a leader? And occasionally when you have all the talent finding a coach that makes them even better or not getting complacent and shows discipline and not letting them get away with anything bc they know they're the best..... Chuck Noll

Great breakdown. Just need to add the $15M we WON'T be spending on Bell to that $32M, and we'll be set!

Seriously, the dude shows up 5 minutes before the walk-through is complete the day prior, and late to the game day?  Really?  And we're going to pay him $15M?  Yeah, that's a great way to instill discipline in the team.  Let's let the younger folk, and new draftees this year (that have surely seen the report) know that it's ok, practice is just a suggestion,; it's not REALLY necessary.  Oh, and it's ok, as well...the other piece to this...to show up whenever the frick you want to, two days in a row, as opposed to the time when you are designated to report to work. 

"Bah!  That's ok.  Would you like a $3M raise as well?  Yeah?  How about we try to work on a long-term deal with you as well.  Anything for our 'superstar' RB!"

I bet he doesn't show up late to his contract signing, though, will he?  No, no, no...he's gotta make sure to 'reset the market' for RBs behind him to come; it's HIS role to do this. He feels obligated to help other RBs get paid more, by golly!

I hope he does something stupid again, preventing us the ability or desire to sign him; apparently blowing off practices and showing up late to games doesn't matter...

"Oh, and BTW, LeVeon, we got a call earlier--asked to leave you a message. Your buddy, LaGarrette called...said to call him back @ (445)999-1234...really weird though. He said to come on over and spend some quality time with the 'Blunts', but I don't remember him being married or having kids...weird...anyway, once we' get you signed, you can head on over."

This whole thing makes me livid. If someone, say Alualu did something like that, he'd be out on his @ss, but Bell?  Naw, we'll just turn our head and pretend it never happened. And 'lip service' isn't going to cover this time, for me at least.  Getting any reports in weeks or months to come, about how he was 'disciplined', or even suspended for a half of a game next season just doesn't measure up.  We lost this playoff game.  His head wasn't 100% in it.  I don't care how much we ran or caught; if he'd been fully engaged, it would've been more. You see how hard he was running on his route on this...or the end of the run?  How quickly did he recognize the fumble? What was his route supposed to look like?  I'm assuming with a bit more alacrity and purpose than what he displayed.  Was it his fault? Could he have worked back, or stopped his route when he was open in the middle?  IDK. We'll never know...and that's the issue. We'll never know who much, or how little his attitude, and apparent lackadaisical effort during the day prior, or earlier that day matterred.

>:(>:(>:(

@Ward4HOF so what does that video show?  Bell ran a crossing route and the defense was in zone.  He geared down and looked back at the QB.  He then sprinted about 55-60 yards to try and catch Smith who is as fast as Leonard Fournette.  The effort was there so I'm confused as to what you're implying.

Archived