Browns cap space available and what would you do

3rivers

1 hour ago, bzane said:

Whyyyyy, trade down; and trade down; and trade down, some more! Mortgage the present; stockpile picks for the future!

Because Metrics. And because tomorrow never comes. Image result for Paul DePodesta

Oh, and all that cap space? All that money?? Sign up Hue Jackson to a ten-year, $110,000,00 contract, of course! -Perfect records cost money, you know!

"Say whut?"

Image result for Hue Jackson

Only trade I liked was the first one with Denver if they were to sign Alex Smith if they think Kizer could develop further.  With the #4 and #5 picks they could get 2 of Chubb/Fitzpatrick/James and make some immediate improvements or even take the remaining of Rosen/Darnold/Allen at the #4 and Chubb/Fitzpatric/James at #5.

Bury their cap space into Kirk Cousins, Trumaine Johnson, and Malcolm Butler.

#1--Trade to the Jets for #6, 2nd, 4th, 2019 1st, 2019 5th

#4--Saquon Barkley RB

#6--Baker Mayfield QB

2nd--Orlando Brown OT

2nd--Dorance Armstrong DE

2nd--Anthony Miller WR

2nd--Quin Blanding FS

3rd--Deon Cain WR

3rd--Braxton Berrios WR

4th--Skai Moore OLB

4th--MJ Stewart CB

5th--Antonio Callaway WR

6th--Greg Stroman CB

6th--Dimitri Flowers FB

7th--Matthew Thomas MLB

QB: Kirk Cousins/Baker Mayfield/Deshone Kizer

RB: Saquon Barkley/Duke Johnson/Matt Dayes

FB: Dimitri Flowers

WR: Josh Gordon/Anthony Miller/Corey Coleman/Deon Cain/Braxton Berrios/Antonio Callaway

TE: David Njoku/Seth DeValve/Randall Telfer

LT: Joe Thomas/Roderick Johnson

LG: Joel Bitonio/Marcus Martin

C: JC Tretter/Austin Reiter

RG: Kevin Zeitler/Spencer Drango

RT: Orlando Brown/ Shon Coleman

LE: Emmanuel Ogbah/Carl Nassib

DT: Danny Shelton/Larry Ogunjobi/Trevon Coley/Caleb Brantley

RE: Myles Garrett/Dorance Armstrong

WLB: Christian Kirksey/Skai Moore

MLB: Joe Schobert/Matthew Thomas/Tank Carder

SLB: Jamie Collins/ James Burgess

CB: Trumaine Johnson/Malcolm Butler/Briean Boddy-Calhoun/MJ Stewart/Jamar Taylor/Howard Wilson/Greg Stroman

FS: Quin Blanding/Jason McCourty

SS: Jabrill Peppers/Derrick Kindred

K: Zane Gonzales

P: Britton Colquitt

KR: Greg Stroman/Jabrill Peppers

PR: Greg Stroman/Jabrill Peppers

Under a good coach, that is a playoff team. Under Hue Jackson? Who knows.

Just now, MWil23 said:

And where are Kirksey and Jamie Collins playing, who are both VERY solid and have signed long term deals? NO THANKS.

Correct. Jamie Collins is our worst linebacker and he's at the very least, average. Plus he's a perfect fit for our defense and is only 27 years old.

We are dying for linebacker depth at MLB/WLB/SLB, but this is not a 1st-2nd-3rd round need.

3 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Correct. Jamie Collins is our worst linebacker and he's at the very least, average. Plus he's a perfect fit for our defense and is only 27 years old.

We are dying for linebacker depth at MLB/WLB/SLB, but this is not a 1st-2nd-3rd round need.

But we have TANK CARDER!

(*Watches chaos unfold)

9 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Thing is, everywhere I've read says that OLB is a need for the Browns which is why I went with it, especially considering that both of them are able to play multiple LB positions and are studs.  Now if you guys do go for a QB in FA rather than the draft, I think as mentioned before a trade back to the #5/6 pick would be great for you guys, though I also doubt that Barkley would be at the #4 pick.  If you are going to be spending money in FA, I would say your best choices would be to target Alex Smith/Cousins/Bradford/Eli even, though Smith/Bradford would be more likely to sign, go after Le'Veon Bell to give you guys an elite #1 RB, not to mention hurting Pittsburgh at the same time, get Jarvis Landry or Allen Robinson to add to your WRs, and then look to draft both Fitzpatrick and James at the #4 and #5/6 picks.

I'd probably make a run at a cheaper QB with something to prove like Bridgewater or Bradford. Let that player start for a year and move on to whichever rookie QB is drafted first overall.

i would then focus free agent dollars on building up the trenches. I'm not sure what the Browns OL and DL needs are but focus there.

Fill in Rbs, LBs and DBs in the draft.

8 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I'd probably make a run at a cheaper QB with something to prove like Bridgewater or Bradford. Let that player start for a year and move on to whichever rookie QB is drafted first overall.

I would be all for this. My preference would be Alex Smith, especially with the Dorsey connection as their new GM. They'd have to give up a little bit via draft pick, but they certainly have the ammunition to do so.

i would then focus free agent dollars on building up the trenches.

Considering the Browns have a HOF LT, 2 Pro Bowl caliber OG in Zeitler and Bitonio, and an above average C, I don't know how much more you could possibly build them up, unless somehow/someway JT retires this year. That would be a colossal waste of draft capital.

I'm not sure what the Browns OL and DL needs are but focus there.

See above for OL. As for their DL, they have Garrett and Ogbah at DE, so they have 2 bookend types. They also have a nice trio with Shelton, Ogunjobi, and Brantley at the DT spot. The Browns were actually towards the top of the NFL in rush defense.

I absolutely would focus on the skill positions. They're set for the most part on the OL and DL.

Fill in Rbs

Duke Johnson is a good hybrid RB, but they definitely need an everydown RB because Crowell isn't very good.

LBs

Joe Schobert was a Pro Bowler this year and Kirksey and Jamie Collins are both VERY good and locked up to long term deals. These positions are addressed and shouldn't be addressed unless they are pure depth guys.

and DBs in the draft.

Their secondary is HORRENDOUS. They need a CB or 2 and DEFINITELY need a FS.

Aside from this, they need help at the WR and QB spots.

23 minutes ago, Raves said:

@MWil23 So they should give a 4th for Alex Smith

I'd cry tears of joy if they got him for that low.

Sign Le'Veon Bell

They have the cap space to do it, but I don't think that they'll do this. I wouldn't turn it down.

and Jarvis Landry for offense,

A lot of guys are for this. If they could get him and it was a good fit, absolutely.

make a run at Malcolm Butler at CB,

If the price is right.

trade back from #1 to #5/6 and draft Fitzpatrick/James?

There is currently a HUGE debate going on right now in our forum on James and Fitzpatrick. A lot of guys like him as a true FS, while others point out that at Alabama Fitzpatrick was mostly a nickel CB/hybrid box player. Some see him as a definite true FS while others view him as a hybrid/box guy. Most people don't like the James pick since most view him as a definite box player, and we just drafted Peppers in the first round last year and have another decent SS type player (Kindred) already on the roster.

Regardless of what you do, signing a veteran QB/trading for one and drafting a QB #1 overall SHOULD be what they do, barring a pipe-dream of them landing Cousins. Whether they do or not is obviously a Browns question mark as is everything that they do.

JMHO

Sign - Bradford, Watkins, Moncrief, Sheldon Richardson, Patrick Robinson, Malcom Butler

Draft - (1) Rosen, Barkey; (2) Justin Reid, Mata'afa, Tyrell Crosby; (3) Holton Hill; (4) Kendrick Norton, Jaleel Scott; (5) Kurt Benkert, Richie James; (6)Dion-Hamilton; (7) Kalamybayi

Fills a ton of holes and sets them up nicely for the future. 

21 hours ago, Raves said:

I would tell the Browns the same thing I would tell the 49ers in regards to FA signings.

Sign:

WR Jarvis Landry

WR Sammie Watkins

RB Le'Veon Bell

This will give the QB they draft weapons to throw too and hand off too taking pressure off of him.  This is further bolstered by the fact that they have some decent options already on their roster.

Draft:

#1-Rosen/Darnold-Whoever you prefer to be the QB, but one of them is the right call.

#4-Minkah Fitzpatrick-Help out their secondary.

Trade 2 2nds to move back into the 1st-Draft Roquan Smith/Rasheed Evans, whichever is still there at the pick they trade up to.

Sammy Watkins isn’t leaving LA. Why would a smart GM/HC in Snead/McVay give up a 2nd round pick only to let the player walk in FA? The Rams will either franchise tag Watkins or sign him to a long term deal. Plus Watkins loves LA, he wants to be on the Rams because he stated already that he wants to be a part of a winning team. So all the talk about Watkins leaving is silly to me. He isn’t going anywhere.

As for Cleveland, I’d try to lure Cousins or trade for Smith. Then I’d use the top picks on Chubb and Barkley. I wouldn’t be opposed to bringing back Pryor. He was good under Hue Jackson both in Oakland and Cleveland.

Archived