Vixen Twins watch Wild Wolves and Loony Lynx (MN Sports Thread)

Heimdallr

Events surrounding the U.S. Olympic Team Trials for Gymnastics and Twin Cities Pride could boost downtown Minneapolis hotel demand beyond last year's high point when Taylor Swift was in town.

Downtown Minneapolis could have 100,000 visitors this weekend.

BIZJOURNALS.COM

• Like 1

9 hours ago, vike daddy said:

that's absolutely crazy, on the Spurs' part. they just allowed another team to trade up 5 spots or whatever so to get two picks five years from now, and could only get one?

oh, but then your draft slot is determined by a weighted random chance?  i guess that makes it more likely the Spurs will get the '31 pick.

but still....

Actually I think the '31 pick is the one that is unprotected. 

Only the top 4 spots are determined by luck, but the swap is only valuable if you are better than the team you are trading with (or they get lottery luck).

It seems like the Spurs are gambling that all this trading away first round picks by the Wolves is going to catch up with them.

• Like 1

Twins with a nice win yesterday. Miranda and Correa have been hitting the ball well as of late. And pitching was good again. The #99 prospect in baseball, David Festa is starting for the Twins today.

• Like 4

Wild draft tonight.

Festa had an expected 1st start, 5 innings, 4 runs. But not a horrible outing. And he got the win because the Twins offense was smashing it. Jose Miranda has been on fire, and Buxton and Correa have been great. Lewis hasn't hit a HR in a few games, but still drove in two more yesterday.

• Like 3

Wild drafted a D from Denver (college) who looks like a good QB on that defense. Someone who has a solid number of goals and a lot of assists. So probably going to be the QB (or hope will be a QB) for the power play distributing the puck and providing depth along the blue line.

The more I think about it, the Wolves really did do a great job getting Rob Dillingham.  The kid is easily the best ball handler in the draft potentially, most creative and has the quickest crossover arguably of any in that draft class.  Will provide instant scoring off the bench and much needed guards who can score and take pressure off of Anthony Edwards having to always create.  Should be clearly the backup PG assuming McLaughlin and Morris are not resigned.

His creative shot making will be so important, sure he is not the best defender and he is physically pretty small but Mike Conley I am sure will teach him a thing or two on how to hang in there.  

KJ Simpson, Jamal Shead and Tristen Newton are all other PGs they could have maybe waited for and got 2nd round if they kept that pick.  Will be curious how it turns out, chances are all three could be solid and would have loved to get the defensive toughness of Shead but he does not have the offensive game.  Dillingham by far has more upside than any of them and is far more creatively dangerous with the basketball.

Dillingham and then they go get Terrence Shannon Jr.  Heck if they never traded up for Dillingham and just got Shannon Jr it would have been a success.  Much needed wing player who can attack and score and create offensive all by himself just like Dillingham.  Very needed to keep pressure off Edwards and help from someone else carrying the load.  I do wish the Wolves got Cam Spencer because would have loved to have another shooting guard who can stick three pointers.  

Overall really is a great job considering they did not have a ton of options coming into the draft and trading away picks so far away from now seems like a great idea when one should be all about winning right now.  A little odd because Dillingham is a player who came off the bench which is strange even if it was at Kentucky.  Kid does have a great handle and seems very willing to learn, is great to have more weapons because clearly the Wolves are not so great defensively they can control games.  The defense got beat by isolation players against Dallas who are great one on one, now the Wolves have two guys who can do that. 

• Like 1

On 6/22/2024 at 6:44 PM, vike daddy said:

welllll... more like a 1700% return on his original investment.

@swede700, can you run the numbers? lol

Sorry, I was out of town on that day and out of the country last week, but @Cearbhall was there to pick it up.  🤣  Just returned from a vacation in which I ran Grandma's Marathon (up in Duluth) and then flew over to the Pacific Northwest, spending the week in Seattle  (my wife hadn't been there) and Vancouver (I never got there when I lived in Seattle). 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

Hey, I talk about the Twins, I'm the only one who is doing so, haha.

Larnach hit a HR for the Twins yesterday, club longest streak with a HR in every game is at 19 games now.

From what I hear, no one can watch them play, so are they really playing?  😜

Generally MN sports related, but I've been picking up some grades sports cards:
Carlos Correa rookie card
Jose Miranda rookie card
Walter Johnson 1950's card, so not from when VD actually saw him pitching.
I have a few PSA 9 Graded Randy Moss Rookie Cards
PSA 9 graded Anthony Edwards

I don't have any Wild players yet, I should get a Kaprizov card.

• Like 3