Positional Analysis: WR

WindyCity

33 minutes ago, Damikeeeee said:

I understand the premise.  But being fast doesn't always take the defender out of the box.  If it did Al Davis would have put together some great offenses.  Landry absolutely can bring that element because you don't need speed to be a deep threat.  A lot of the best deep threats are guys with great ball skills like Landry.  If Landry is requiring double teams regardless of where they're coming from that's a big help.  Especially when he's still going to produce despite the doubles.  We have to stop thinking that Cohen is going to be an outside receiver.  It's not that easy of a position.  It seems like a used bandaid approach when surgery is needed.  

Im not viewing cohen as an outside the numbers wr, im viewing him as a weapon that can be deployed on multiple parts of the field.  And what in Landrys past makes you believe that hes a capable deep threat? Hes not fast, hes not a 50/50 guy.  He catches everything within 5 yards of the los and gets an extra 5 yards.  He doesnt threaten defenses, he moves the chains.

37 minutes ago, Damikeeeee said:

I understand the premise.  But being fast doesn't always take the defender out of the box.  If it did Al Davis would have put together some great offenses.  Landry absolutely can bring that element because you don't need speed to be a deep threat.  A lot of the best deep threats are guys with great ball skills like Landry.  If Landry is requiring double teams regardless of where they're coming from that's a big help.  Especially when he's still going to produce despite the doubles.  We have to stop thinking that Cohen is going to be an outside receiver.  It's not that easy of a position.  It seems like a used bandaid approach when surgery is needed.  

Landry had 161 targets last season, caught 112 of those. Know what the average depth of his routes run was? 3.5.

That's 10.5 feet.

The year before? 5.5.

That's 16.5 feet.

1 minute ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Im not viewing cohen as an outside the numbers wr, im viewing him as a weapon that can be deployed on multiple parts of the field.  And what in Landrys past makes you believe that hes a capable deep threat? Hes not fast, hes not a 50/50 guy.  He catches everything within 5 yards of the los and gets an extra 5 yards.  He doesnt threaten defenses, he moves the chains.

You weren't but he was.  I agree that's how Cohen should be used but he's also very inexperienced at WR.  Landry does his job.  Can't blame him for that.  He shows the ball skills to win against the best CBs wherever he is lined up.  He just happens to excel at a role that we don't think is a good fit.  If we're going to run a lot more 3 WR sets then why wouldn't the best slot receiver in the NFL be a good addition?  If you don't think he threatens defenses then there's not much to argue there other then I disagree. 

3 minutes ago, G08 said:

Landry had 161 targets last season, caught 112 of those. Know what the average depth of his routes run was? 3.5.

That's 10.5 feet.

The year before? 5.5.

That's 16.5 feet.

Ya we all know.  That doesn't mean he can't run deeper routes.  Also keep in mind we are developing and need to protect Tru.  I'd gladly run more 3 step drops and get the ball out of his hands and into Landrys.  If Landry is a limited as everyone thinks he is then why are we worrying about some mega contract?  If he ends up getting 20% more then Marvin Jones is that bad?

Just now, Damikeeeee said:

Ya we all know.  That doesn't mean he can't run deeper routes.  Also keep in mind we are developing and need to protect Tru.  I'd gladly run more 3 step drops and get the ball out of his hands and into Landrys.  If Landry is a limited as everyone thinks he is then why are we worrying about some mega contract?  If he ends up getting 20% more then Marvin Jones is that bad?

It doesn't mean that, but there is a reason Miami has not asked him to do so yet still throw the ball over 100 times to him in a season. Maybe there's something to that 4.77 dash and 28" vert, ya know?

The mega contract talk is because he wants to be paid like a top 5-8 WR.

2 minutes ago, G08 said:

It doesn't mean that, but there is a reason Miami has not asked him to do so yet still throw the ball over 100 times to him in a season. Maybe there's something to that 4.77 dash and 28" vert, ya know?

The mega contract talk is because he wants to be paid like a top 5-8 WR.

MJD wanted $100 mil.  If it takes top 5 WR money then you move on.  I wouldn't pay him that. 

Wasn't he hurt when he ran that 40?  Sorry but he's not a 4.8 guy on the field.  If he was I don't think he'd be a 100 catch guy every season.

Just now, Damikeeeee said:

MJD wanted $100 mil.

Wasn't he hurt when he ran that 40?  Sorry but he's not a 4.8 guy on the field.  If he was I don't think he'd be a 100 catch guy every season.

Not sure if he was hurt -- maybe?

You don't need speed to run 3.5 yard down the field, man. That's just eating up cushion and turning around. I don't think he's a special WR worthy of a top 8 contract, but that's just me. In this offense we sorely need speed.

1 minute ago, G08 said:

Not sure if he was hurt -- maybe?

You don't need speed to run 3.5 yard down the field, man. That's just eating up cushion and turning around. I don't think he's a special WR worthy of a top 8 contract, but that's just me. In this offense we sorely need speed.

You need athleticism to consistently separate from NFL CBs and Landry has proven that at the end of the day.  He can produce.  We need that.  I agree we also need speed but I'd take Landry and look elsewhere for that speed as well.

Landry may not be the player that KC used but he can still be effective in any scheme imo.  I know the pro bowl is a joke but he ran some deeper routes there and showed he can do it.  With our love of play action I think he'd be a great fit.  We need a guy that can do what Landry does.  We can't rely on a converted RB or Meredith coming off an injury to be the guy.  We can try the WR by committee approach but that means bringing in a lot of guys and hoping they pan out when we saw last season that didn't work out so well.  I'd take a blue chip square peg in a round hole over a lesser talent (As a WR not as an athlete)

17 minutes ago, G08 said:

I'll find a way to cheer for him if Pace/Nagy/Helfrich pound the table for the guy... but for what he does best, the money, and his attitude? Hard pass for me.

His attitude is a 100% non issue for me.  I like firey guys.  I don't think he's ever been suspended and I think he missed like a few mins of the Buffalo game over the punch?

3 minutes ago, Damikeeeee said:

You weren't but he was.  I agree that's how Cohen should be used but he's also very inexperienced at WR.  Landry does his job.  Can't blame him for that.  He shows the ball skills to win against the best CBs wherever he is lined up.  He just happens to excel at a role that we don't think is a good fit.  If we're going to run a lot more 3 WR sets then why wouldn't the best slot receiver in the NFL be a good addition?  If you don't think he threatens defenses then there's not much to argue there other then I disagree. 

Who?  When?  He doesnt threaten cbs deep.  He never has.  You expecting him to be something he has never been is no different than someone expecting Cohen to be something hes never been.

2 hours ago, Damikeeeee said:

You need athleticism to consistently separate from NFL CBs and Landry has proven that at the end of the day.  He can produce.  We need that.  I agree we also need speed but I'd take Landry and look elsewhere for that speed as well.

Landry may not be the player that KC used but he can still be effective in any scheme imo.  I know the pro bowl is a joke but he ran some deeper routes there and showed he can do it.  With our love of play action I think he'd be a great fit.  We need a guy that can do what Landry does.  We can't rely on a converted RB or Meredith coming off an injury to be the guy.  We can try the WR by committee approach but that means bringing in a lot of guys and hoping they pan out when we saw last season that didn't work out so well.  I'd take a blue chip square peg in a round hole over a lesser talent (As a WR not as an athlete)

You dont need a whole lot of atleticism to run a 3 yard hitch or a 5 yard slant man.  Those are more about technique

2 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

You dont need a whole lot of atleticism to run a 3 yard hitch or a 5 yard slant man.  Those are more about technique

I'll give Landry this: he runs like an angry SOB and he's tough to bring down after the catch... it's a blast to watch. He's got great hands and can make catches in traffic as well... but our offense is lacking speed, badly. He doesn't offer that, he brings headaches, and he wants $$$.

That doesn't do it for me... now if he was a legit 4.30 dude? I'd be salivating, attitude and all.

Archived